*Missing String xxx* Mega Thread

Aarik D

Question

Greetings Watchers!

Thank you all so much for participating in the Backer Beta! There are quite a bit of abilities and text in the game that may have some Missing Strings and we'd like to consolidate those to keep the forums nice and tidy!

If you ever come across and UI/text issue where you see *Missing String xxx* take a screenshot and post it here!

Example:

ZXd2NUn.jpg

Thanks a bunch! 

• Like 1

https://imgur.com/a/6WGVo

I created a monk/paladin and there is also a missing string in the character creation summary.

Looks like this is a problem for a lot of classes and class combinations.

Someone should check all classes and multiclasses for this error.

(Someone calculated that there are over 1000 possible classes if you include all subclasses. This will be a lot of work).

Sorry for the noise, devs, but why do you need this? Can't this be done using some sort of static analysis on your string resources using a linter? I mean, the fact that those strings are numbered leads me to think you already have unique resource IDs for them.

Or is it maybe because you have no way of finding out which string resources are visible in beta content vs unreleased features? If so...then is the purpose of this thread just to prioritize the writing of those? If so, isn't that also solvable using analytics, like, logging string not found events and upload them in batches? 

What am I missing here?

• Like 1

It may be a stretch to call this a missing string problem, but I figured I'd drop this here:

IznCd0P.png

This was on my main.

Let the record show that I named my main "Charname" ironically. Perhaps Deadfire's using charname as a throwback token and it results in this error message?

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Just tried with a hired mercenary that had a different name and got the exact same behavior.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus