The Obsidian Community all-time top 106 games (poll) - CLOSED! See new thread for results

algroth

I added in a rule so as to allow people to present a list of fewer choices than 25, if you absolutely can't fill out a top 25. Also, while not necessary, if you guys know of anyone you get along with in the forum who might be interested in taking part, feel free to contact them so that they do! The more votes, the better. :grin:

In the short time I've been here, I've met a few people. ...But I seem to have argued with all of them, one sent my file to Agent 47, and I think another posted photoshopped pics of me doing unsavory things in My Pretty Pony. ...But I hope we get more people into your pet project. It's a good one.

χαίρετε

I added in a rule so as to allow people to present a list of fewer choices than 25, if you absolutely can't fill out a top 25. Also, while not necessary, if you guys know of anyone you get along with in the forum who might be interested in taking part, feel free to contact them so that they do! The more votes, the better. :grin:

In the short time I've been here, I've met a few people. ...But I seem to have argued with all of them, one sent my file to Agent 47, and I think another posted photoshopped pics of me doing unsavory things in My Pretty Pony. ...But I hope we get more people into your pet project. It's a good one.

I'm sorry to hear that, that does all sound pretty awful.

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I love that a number of people has listed LotR Online. I did play it, and it was pretty great (parts of it written by George Ziets (who made NWN2 MotB such a joyable experience, and he gave story depth to DS3)), I just played too Little and too late, I reckon.

Otherwise, I can tell there are a few lists which are akin to mine, or even better, even one list (ShadySands's) where I've played all of the games and I really liked them (except for Mech Warrior and Alpha Protocol, which I haven't played. A praised Obsidian game, not played by me - so weird, somehow!) 

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

SEVEN POINTS

Planescape: Torment

Wasteland

Quake

Quake 3: Arena

Quake Live

THREE POINTS

Ultima 7: The Black Gate

Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss

Fallout

Torment: Tides of Numenera

Maybe Fallout 2. I hate the intro so it's not easy to replay.

I would probably play Quake 2, Quake 4, or any of the Unreal Tournaments if they suddenly became active again. I haven't played them much though -- watched more than played to be honest -- so I don't think listing them would be appropriate.

The only games released since 2013 that I've played are Wasteland 2, Torment: Tides of Numenera, and Quake Champions... Plus there are some old classics that need to be played like Arcanum. Much ground to be covered.

After seeing some other people's lists I've pondered my own choices and...

I'm not changing anything.

Seriously, though, Deus Ex seems like the biggest snub on my list, followed by Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines, but I can't bring myself to take any games off.

I regret nothing!

Edit: Speaking of snubs, I must be hallucinating, but it seems I'm the only one with Super Metroid on my list.  How is that possible?  :blink:

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Edit: Speaking of snubs, I must be hallucinating, but it seems I'm the only one with Super Metroid on my list.  How is that possible?  :blink:

Well, I don't like Metroidvania games with only rare exception is my excuse.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

My father used to be a diplomat. We would travel to a foreign country and stay there for 3-4 years and then we had to gather our stuff and go back to Tehran and stay there for another 4 years until my father was called for the next assignment. During our 3 year stay in London which lasted from 1989 to 1992(or maybe 1993?) I spent a good amount of time with the Amiga 500, IBM Compatible 286, Nintendo Gameboy and eventually the good ol' Super Nintendo. About a year and a half after we got the SNES my fathers assignment in London came to an end though :( The last games me and my brother bought were TMNT: Turtles in Time(my pick) and Top Gear(my brother's choice). So I guess I missed Super Metroid. We did buy a couple of games later on in Iran/Tehran but the SNES wasn't popular there at all. The Sega Megadrive was pretty well known though and there was always an abundance of Megadrive games which drove me nuts! 

Later on my father got his next assignment  which was in Austria/Vienna...same as the above happened right around the time Perfect Dark and Majora's Mask got released.  :banghead:  I had to wait years until my fathers final assignment in Germany/Frankfurt am Main until I could play Majora's Mask and still to this day I haven't completed Perfect Dark which is why I bought the Xbox One X, so I could finally play Perfect Dark from start to finish thanks to Rare Replay Value...LEGIT YO!

Fun fact: I was born in Cuba/Havana and my dad actually got to meet el Che's father there at one occasion.

Edited by Katphood
  • Like 3

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Oh noes, now that I browsed GoG sale again, I found out, that I missed Lands of Lore on my list... What a shame :(

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Time for a proper submission I guess (PMed too of course). As before, I limited myself to one representative from each series, and there's a fairly noticeable scaling factor towards games that are important to me personally rather than being the actual "best".

7 points

Civilization 4
Fallout: New Vegas
Heroes of Might and Magic 3
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Ultima 7: The Black Gate
Wing Commander: Privateer
XCOM: Enemy Unknown

5 points

Baldur's Gate 2
Crusader Kings 2
Day of the Tentacle
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Master of Orion 2
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
SimCity 2000
Super Mario World
The Curse of Monkey Island
Theme Hospital
World of Warcraft

3 points

Championship Manager 3
Donkey Kong Country
F-117A Stealth Fighter 2.0
Freecell
Jagged Alliance 2
Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine
SimFarm

25 more games, that if I was compiling this list another day, might have made it.

Age of Empires 2
Broken Sword 2
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Divinity: Original Sin
Fire Emblem Awakening
Grim Fandango
Huniepop
Jones in the Fast Lane
King of Dragon Pass
Mass Effect
Mount and Blade: Warband
Railroad Tycoon
Recettear
Saints Row the Third
Sid Meier's Pirates! (2004)
SimTower
Skyrim
Stardew Valley
Street Fighter 2
Super Mario Kart
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time
Total Annihilation
Unreal Tournament
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Total Annihilation

That nearly made my list, but ultimately I bumped it off in favour of Papers, Please, which whilst I played very recently (like, this very month) had all the qualities I usually believe videogames as an artform ought to strive for. But it's a damn good strategy game all the same, and brings a few memories.

Edited by algroth

As a general rule, I'm not a fan of the RTS genre (and even moreso now that the genre seems obsessed with adding more and more micromanagement). But Total Annihilation gets a mention because it was a gamechanger, a quantum leap over its contemporaries. It seamlessly integrated land, air and sea units with a sensible, consistent and intuitive way.

Compare it to Age of Empires 2, which is a more recent game and how ridiculously clunky unit movement was, the laughable way it handled ballistics, and the ludicrous way it implemented naval combat. And as to not pick on just one game, you could substitute Starcraft in there without changing anything else. It still had no sense of motion, no momentum, giant battleships turning around on the head of a pin and accelerating to full speed instantaneously. Total Annihilation had acceleration, momentum, *turning circles*. Destroyed objects don't just dematerialise into nothing. Even by today's measure it's an extraordinarily ambitious game.

Not that it didn't have its share of problems, of course. A ridiculously bloated unit list, many of which served no clear purpose. Braindead AI. Minimally differentiated factions. But how it felt at the time was that Cavedog had just made Quake while the competition was busy making Wolfenstein 3D, it was just that much ahead.

EDIT: And yes, while most games had terrible AI in those days, I remember reading a dissection of TA's AI routine. It basically breaks down into "build random thing, send thing at nearest valid target".

Edited by Humanoid
  • Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

We're five days away! Lists received and tallied so far:

Bartimaeus

Leferd

Raithe

Katphood

redneckdevil

Pidesco

IndiraLightfoot

eimatshya

Fenixp

ShadySands

Hurlshot

Keyrock

Tigranes

SonicMage117

evilcat

Epaminondas

Amentep

TrueNeutral

Zoraptor

Malcador

injurai

marelooke

Mamoulian War

melkathi

Jozape

Humanoid

Fiasco

Lemme know if I'm missing anyone.

• Like 1

Surprised nobody said Pillars, Tyranny, Alpha Protocal or Kotor 2 :p

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...