The Obsidian Community all-time top 106 games (poll) - CLOSED! See new thread for results

algroth

What I absolutely adore about this list. I haven't played a single game listed here! :)

Erm, that's because it's not a real list, :p. Half-Life 3 doesn't exist and probably won't ever, and Daikatana, Sonic '06, Superman 64, Alien: Colonial Marines, and the two CD-I Zelda games are considered among some of the worst/most disappointing games of all time.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Hi... I have some, mine are newer games as opposed to classics/retro ones. Hope ya'all don't mind.

Hotline Miami 1&2: I could never get tired of playing this duo. The graphics are so horrid and yet the gameplay itself is so polished and addictive. Both games are short but have alot of replay value.

Super Meat Boy: Dubbed the hardest platformer since Ghosts and Goblins, it took me quite a bit to beat. It's cute, tells a story and has some great boss fights.

Sonic Mania: There's sonething to be said when a AAA publisher literaly goes out and hires fans to make their next game and it paid off, tremendously.

Rayman Legends: It's fun, colorful and bright. Features classic songs remixed into musical platforming. Rayman has bever been dull, thank the ubi-gods!

Batman Arkham Knight: Everything about the game is bad@$$. The graphics, the car, the villain.

Life Is Strange: The most emo game I've ever played and for good reason. I can't say that there's ever been an rpg that has ever hit on this level of relatability while touching on modern controversial issues that people face in real life on a daily basis (bullying, abuse, rape, kidnapping, etc)

Transistor: It's like 8-hours long but what a breakthrough in storytelling for rpg genre. It's that good.

Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2: I've clocked in 24 hours so far into the game and the length and quailty of content is up to par with Witcher 3. However, it's not an RPG - even though the game is non-linear, has a huge open world and tons of dungeons ajd quests.

Red Faction Guerilla: It's an ancient game and yet it's one of the most technologically advanced games I've ever played. It still hails as one of the largest open worlds in a game and what's more is that not only is everything fully destructable, it's also the only game in historyin which you can enter any building you see.

Star Wars Kotor II: Obsidian's best work ever ad the best Star Wars game ever. While on the newer side, it's hard for alot of rpg's to match my experience with this one.

Depth: I do not play alot of multiplayer games, I do not play a lot of fps either but this one is one of the best. It's balanced and unique. It pits 6 players against each other in 2 teams. 4 divers vs 2 sharks.

Brigador: Iso'mech'tric perfection! This game is all about mechs shooting up vehicles in isometric perspective. The action is fast but you have to manage resources masterfully. I can't imagine any rpg fan wouldn't like this (it's not an rpg but operates as one). You can pilot an array of other vehicles too, hovercrafts, cars, gyro-cycles, tanks, etc).

Dex: It's beautifully made metroidvania/rpg hybrid. It's basically a 2D Deus Ex but with a female protagonist. Very good story too.

Hollow Knight: According to 90% of the people who actually played it, it's the first metroidvania game to overthrow Super Metroud and Castlevania Symphony If The Night. Not only is it's Land Before Time-looking aesthetic gorgeous but it's hard as nails and superiorly rewarding.

The Evil Within 1&2: Best horror games since RE5, by the guy who was originally responsible for te good RE games. He made these after he left Capcom.

Oxenfree: A 2-3 hour adventure game, essentially a 2D walking similator about a group if friends who go on a ferry to a party on an island but 'Stranger things' happen ;)

Bioshock Infinite: The definitive Bioshock experience, gets rid of that musty ad boring dark blue color pallet ad brings life to the series. Also features Elizabeth, who is like a broken Disney Princess gone bad. A staple of female characters in the gaming world.

Rise Of The Tomb Raider: Lara Croft's best game ever. The conditions are harsh ad tge gameplay is harsher.

Mad Max: Overlooked, underrated and ultimately forgotten and yet ine if the best and most immersive open world's I've ever played in. One would think the desert would become boring but no.

I'll give more later lol

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Hi... I have some, mine are newer games as opposed to classics/retro ones. Hope ya'all don't mind.

I definitely don't mind, as I said at the opening paragraph the list should speak to your tastes and not to what you think ought to be seen as the canon and so on. However, please send the redacted list via PM, as those are the lists I'm counting as submissions for the poll (and remember to divide points between each game)! :grin:

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Here's my list. I narrowed it down to games that I both loved at launch and still love now. As a result, games like Civilization II and Civilization: Call to Power didn't make the list even though I played them a LOT because I no longer play either. Likewise, I've played a lot of Titanfall 2 and Overwatch over the last year, but they are too new to stand the test of time, and as a result, did not make the list. I know Dragon Age 2 gets a lot of hate, but I personally like it. It did something different--a story about the trials and tribulations of a single family over several years set in a single city. The combat wasn't great, and it was more rail-roady than I'd like (DA:O did way better when it comes to endings), but despite it's failings I always enjoy playing through it (whereas I now fall asleep when I try to play through DA:O). Finally, I included SWG even though I no longer play it because it's a game I definitely would like to play again if I could (haven't got around to trying to figure out all the various Emu servers that exist... they seem to have really volatile populations). 

Everquest (I still play project 1999 on and off and love it)
Knights of the Old Republic 2
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
Alpha Protocol
Fallout 2 (Fallout 1 is the classic, but I've played Fallout 2 sooooooo much more over the course of my life)

Final Fantasy Tactics
Civilization V
Baldur's Gate
Super Smash Brothers
Mass Effect 2

Dreamfall: the Longest Journey
The Longest Journey
Dragon Age 2
Fallout: New Vegas
Golden Eye 64

Dark Forces
System Shock 2
Jagged Alliance 2
Master of Orion 2
Star Wars Galaxies

Daggerfall
Deus Ex
Jade Empire
Planescape Torment
Civilization IV

• Like 2

Listing without points. I'll PM the point breakdown when I get 'round to working them out:

Dune - 1992 / Developer: Cryo / Publisher: Virgin
Dune 2 - 1992 / Developer: Westwood / Publisher: Virgin
Sid Meier's Civilization - 1991 / Developer: MPS Labs / Publisher: MicroProse
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri - 1999 / Developer: Firaxis / Publisher: EA
Realms - 1991 / Developer: Graftgold Publisher: Virgin
Lemmings - 1991 / Developer: DMA Design / Publisher: Psygnosis
Freelancer - 2003 / Developer: Digital Anvil / Publisher: Microsoft
Eric The Unready - 1993 / Developer: Legend Entertainment / Publisher: Legend Entertainment
Age of Wonders - 1999 / Developer: Triumph Studios / Publisher: Gathering of Developers
Arcanum of Steamworks and Magick Obscura - 2001 / Developer: Troika Games / Publisher: Sierra

Final Fantasy Legend II - 1990 / Developer: Square / Publisher: Square/Sunsoft

Startopia - 2001 / Developer: Murky Foot / Publisher: Eidos Interactive

Anno 2070 - 2011 / Developer: Related Designs/Bluebyte / Publisher: Ubisoft
King Arthur The Roleplaying Wargame - 2011 / Developer: NeocoreGames / Publisher: Paradox Interactive

Majesty The Fantasy Kingdom Sim - 2000 / Developer: Cyberlore Studios / Publisher: Hasbro Interactive

Planescape: Torment - 1999 / Developer: Black Isle Studios / Publisher: Interplay Entertainment

Magic Of Endoria - 1994 / Developer: German Design Group / Publisher: Sunflowers

Star Control: The Ur-Quan Masters - 1993 / Developer: Toys for Bob / Publisher: Accolade

Alpha Protocol - 2000 / Developer: Obsidian Entertainment / Publisher: Sega

Bubble Bobble - 1986 / Developer: Taito / Publisher: Taito

Super Mario Land - 1989 / Developer: Nintendo / Publisher: Nintendo

Final Fantasy VII - 1997 / Developer: Square / Publisher: Square

Dawn of War: Soulstorm - 2008 / Developer: Relic Entertainment / Publisher: Sega

Saints Row The Third - 2011 / Developer: Volition / Publisher: Deep Silver

Syndicate - 1993 / Developer: Bullfrog / Publisher: Electronic Arts

That's 25.

Honorary Mention: Mordheim obviously ;)

Edited by melkathi
  • Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

List is in no particular order, but these ones always stick out in my mind

• X-Wing
  • TIE Fighter
  • Jedi Knight
  • Grim Fandango
  • Civ 2
  • Civ 4
  • SMAC
  • Caesar 3
  • C&C
  • C&C Red Alert 2
  • Star Wars Rebellion
  • Rainbow Six Raven Shield
  • Dungeon Keeper 2
  • Deus Ex
  • Unreal Tournament
  • Fallout
  • Dawn of War 2
  • The Longest Journey
  • Full Throttle
  • Curse of Monkey Island
  • Operation Flashpoint
  • Starsiege Tribes
  • Mechwarrior 2
  • F-117A Stealth Fighter 2.0 / F-19
  • WoW
Edit : Forgot some Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Just going to use this post as a scratchpad for now. No great thought has gone into this list so far, all I did was open up Notepad++, start typing out the names of games off the top of my head that seemed good until I got to 25, and then sorted the list alphabetically. It's not really a submission, at least not yet, just something to get me thinking. One self-imposed limitation is that for any given series I restrict myself to nominating the best individual entry.

Alpha Centauri
Baldur's Gate 2
Broken Sword 2
Championship Manager 3
Civilization 4
Day of the Tentacle
Donkey Kong Country
F-117A Stealth Fighter 2.0
Fallout: New Vegas
Freecell
Heroes of Might and Magic 3
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Jagged Alliance 2
Master of Orion 2
Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine
SimCity 2000
SimFarm
Super Mario World
The Curse of Monkey Island
The Witcher 3
Theme Hospital
Ultima 7
Wing Commander: Privateer
World of Warcraft
XCOM: Enemy Unknown

• Like 3

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I just set up a deadline for the entries, which will be on December 22nd. There will be a brief period from there on where I might be taking new lists depending on how long it takes me to calculate the results (shouldn't be over a week, though, as I'm already compiling them right now), and will then start rolling them out.

So far I have entries from the following:

Bartimaeus

Leferd

Raithe

Katphood

redneckdevil

Pidesco

SonicMage117 (incomplete - need points!)

IndiraLightfoot

ShadySands

eimatshya

Tigranes (incomplete)

Malcador (incomplete - need points)

Fenixp

I'm leaving out melkathi and Humanoid for now who've said they'd be sending their lists with the assigned points later. If I'm missing anyone up to now, please send me your list again via PM as I have not received it!

Edited by algroth

Sorry Alien: Isolation and Jagged Alliance 2, I've had to omit you both in the end :( Former because of its fairly big problems and latter because, just before I wanted to score it with 101 points so that there's one left for the other games, I've noticed Hurlshot's post which I felt influenced by and so I've had to drop JA2 from the list for the sake of fairness.

Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 1

Sorry Alien: Isolation and Jagged Alliance 2, I've had to omit you both in the end :( Former because of its fairly big problems and latter because, just before I wanted to score it with 101 points so that there's one left for the other games, I've noticed Hurlshot's post which I felt influenced by and so I've had to drop JA2 from the list for the sake of fairness.

You are dead to me.  ;(

• Like 1

I guess I'll post my list here as well

Dragon Age Origins
Shadowrun Dragonfall
Shadowrun Hong Kong
Crusader Kings 2
Civilization 2
Civilization 4
Civilization 6
Legends of Terris
Jagged Alliance 2
Baldur's Gate 2
Fallout
Fallout 2
Lord of the Rings Online
KotOR 
KotOR 2
Neverwinter Nights
Neverwinter Nights 2
Alpha Protocol
Vampire:TM Bloodlines
BattleTech: Crescent Hawks Inception
MechWarrior
MechWarrior 2
MechWarrior 4 Mercenaries
Sword of the Samurai
Master of Orion 2
  • Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

Ditto for me (no particular order):​

​Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn (2000) - BioWare
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998) - Nintendo
Undertale (2015) - Toby Fox
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl (2007) - GSC Game World
MOTHER aka Earthbound Beginnings/Zero (1989) - Ape
Banjo-Kazooie (1998) - Rare
Diablo II (2000) - Blizzard North
Dark Souls (2011) - FromSoftware
Planescape: Torment (1999) - Black Isle Studios
Terranigma (1995) - Quintet
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest (1995) - Rare
Bloodborne (2015) - FromSoftware
MOTHER 2 aka Earthbound (1994) - Ape
Half-Life (1998) - Valve Corporation
Portal (2007) - Valve Corporation
Super Mario World (1990) - Nintendo
Age of Empires II (1999) - Ensemble Studios
Neverwinter Nights II: Mask of the Betrayer (2007) - Obsidian Entertainment
Life Is Strange (2015) - Dontnod Entertainment
Super Mario Bros. 2 (Japan) aka Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (USA) (1986) - Nintendo

​I actually had five more entries I could've used, but I couldn't really think of any other games that I also love that really felt deserving of being on a top 100 list based on some criteria of offering a complete, unique, and very fun experience. I already had like 3-4 entries from the same series, too...

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

You are dead to me.  ;(

And where is *your* list, Hurlshot? :p