The Obsidian Community all-time top 106 games (poll) - CLOSED! See new thread for results

algroth

Hey there, fellas! I'm not sure if this has ever been done here before, or if you guys would be interested in a project like this. I've done in other forums polls of the sort before, that compiled several lists of films, albums, books and the likes. I've never done one for games, and figured it'd be interesting to make one here, in a commmunity that is by and large comprised by gamers.

The rules would be fairly simple: you would need to send me a list via PM of up to TWENTY-FIVE games, each labelled with developer and year to best tell them apart (some games may share the same name so labelling them by these would help me not to confuse one for the other); you have 125 points to assign between all 25 games, making it an average of 5 points per game - that way you can distribute priority between your favorites as you wish. If you don't assign points to the games, I will assume you have given five to each. Games are counted individually regardless of franchise or series connections, meaning that, for example, Half-Life and Half-Life 2 would count as two votes, not as one "Half-Life series" vote; however, you can if you so choose vote for a game expansion separate from the original campaign (e.g. you can vote for Mask of the Betrayer whilst ignoring Neverwinter Nights 2 if you so wish). Definitive Editions and the likes will count towards that game's primary release as well.

The the ideal number of games to present is 25, you can choose to present fewer as well. If so, I will ask you to divide between all games a number of points equal to five times the number of games you've mentiones, meaning, for example, that a top 10 would have 50 points to share across the games, a top 15 75, a top 20 100, a top 22 110, a top 17 85, and so on.

The list will be compiled giving priority to the number of votes accrued (that being the number of lists a game appeared in), and points will act as a tie-breaker between games with equal amount of votes. I will set a deadline for sending the lists at a later date, if this idea interests the rest. Edit: the deadline will be December 22nd. Please send in your lists via PM with the points distribution by then!

To those wanting to take part... I have no problems with you guys sharing the lists in the thread before the compiled list is revealed, but I would suggest to avoid that simply so as to keep the results more a surprise when they are finally revealed. The list should reflect your personal taste first and foremost, instead of what your idea of the consensus or historical canon is - judge them according to how good you find the games to be personally, and not their historical significance, how "state-of-the-art" or graphically they are or any such thing. Give the list some thought, but don't overly obsess about it, this is just for fun after all.

I hope the idea is interesting to you guys!

---

The results have been moved over to the following thread: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/95421-the-obsidian-community-all-time-top-106-games-results-106-81-up/

Edited by algroth
  • Like 4

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Was there ever any doubt? :p

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I don't mind the idea and always like to see results of this sort, for some reason, but I'm not sure I even have 25 "all time favorite" games these days. Maybe 10-15.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yeah, I think I might have a hard time to think up 25 games. Would try though.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Just try it out. I can reduce the number if needed, to maybe 20 or 10. But usually I find that people really underestimate the size of their list of favorites - my experience with other lists where I asked for people to give up to fifty items was that many considered it hard to get as many in at first, and then begrudge having had to leave out so many choices.

Edited by algroth

Should there not be a limit to how many points you can assign a single game? I could submit a list of 25 games, assign 1 point to 24 of them, and give the one 101, :p.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Should there not be a limit to how many points you can assign a single game? I could submit a list of 25 games, assign 1 point to 24 of them, and give the one 101, :p.

That's fine by me. Again, the 101 will only count for a tie-breaker, whilst the number of votes will always have a greater priority. You could have a game with 202 points from two votes which would still be beneath a game with only three points out of three votes. You also do at the risk of downvoting the rest of your choices, at least as far as the tie-breakers are concerned. If you guys feel it's still abusable I can put a cap though, but in the past I haven't encountered a problem with this.

Edited by algroth

Yeah, I guess it's not a big deal.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

25. Daikatana, Developer:John Romero, Release: John Romero

24. Castlevania 64, Developer: Konami Computer Entertainment Kobe, Release: 1999

23. Rogue Warrior, Developer: Rebellion Developments, Release: 2009

22. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5, Developer: Robomodo, Release: 2015

21. Umbrella corps, Developer: Capcom, Release:  2016

20. Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City, Developer: SlantSixGames, Release:2012

19. Ride to Hell: Retribution, Developer: Eutechnyx, Release: 2013

18. The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct, Developer: Terminal Reality, Release: 2013

17. Call of Duty: Black Ops: Declassified, Developer: nStigate Games, Release: 2012

16. Doctor Who: Return to Earth, Developer: Asylum Entertainment, Release: 2010

15. Tunnel Rats: 1968, Developer: Uwe Boll, Release: Uwe Boll 

14. Stalin vs. Martians, Developer: Black Wing Foundation, 2009

13. Lula 3D, Developer: cdv Software Entertainmnt, Release: 2006

12. Batman: Dark Tomorrow, Developer: Hotgen, Release: 2003

11. Bubsy 3D, Developer: SIE Bend Studio, Release: 1997

10. Link: The Faces of Evil, Developer: Animation Magic, Release: 1993

9. Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon,  Developer: Animation Magic, Release: 1993
8. Final Fight: Streetwise, Developer: Capcom Production Studio 8, Release: 2006
7. Perfect Dark Zero, Developer: Rare, Release: 2005
6. Aquaman: Battle for Atlantis, Developer: Lucky Chicken Games, Release: 2003
5. Sonic the Hedgehog, Developer: Sonic Team, Release: 2006
4. Medal of Honor: Warfighter, Developer: Danger Close Games, Release: 2012
3. Half Life 3, Developer: GabeN, Release: GabeN
2. Superman 64, Developer: Titus Software, Release: 1999
1. Alien: Colonial Marines, Developer: Randy Pitchford, Release: Randy Pitchford 
  • Like 5

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

I'm struggling to think of five at the top of my head because I start focusing on what I dislike about them and how they could be better. Ideally there would be no all-time top 100 because there would be continuous improvement, which I'm not optimistic about tbh but there's some things I'm looking forward to.

Did he win?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Just a quick easy maths heads up for anyone who might be feeling a little lazy about distributing points. An easy way of assigning points to your lists is by thinking of 25 points instead, and dividing the list of 25 games into five tiers of five games each. You can then assign an equal number of points to the games in each of these tiers so long as the number adds up to 25. Kind of like this...

1-5. 8

6-10. 6

11-15. 5

16-20. 4

21-25. 2

That means each of the films in those tiers get that many votes. Other examples...

1-5. 10

6-10. 6

11-15. 5

16-20. 3

21-25. 1

1-5. 10

6-10. 7

11-15. 4

16-20. 3

21-25. 1

1-5. 12

6-10. 6

11-15. 4

16-20. 2

21-25. 1

1-5. 7

6-10. 5

11-15. 5

16-20. 5

21-25. 3

Offering some options is all! :grin:

Edited by algroth

I'm struggling to think of five at the top of my head because I start focusing on what I dislike about them and how they could be better. Ideally there would be no all-time top 100 because there would be continuous improvement, which I'm not optimistic about tbh but there's some things I'm looking forward to

If this is successful, I guess I could try running it again in a few years. It'd be interesting to see how they list would have changed by then.

I'll give this a go.

Edit:

Here's my expanded list

Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past

Sim City

Sid Meier's Civilization

System Shock

System Shock 2

Jagged Alliance 2

Baldur's Gate 2 : Shadows of Amn

Planescape: Torment

No One Lives Forever

The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt

Liero

Super Mario World

The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall

Medieval: Total War

Space Rangers 2

King's Bounty: The Legend

Chrono Trigger

Secret of Monkey Island

Psychonauts

Beyond Good and Evil

Street Fighter 2

Quake

Spelunky

Fallout 2

Super Metroid

Fallout

Mask of the Betrayer

Icewind Dale

Icewind Dale 2

Dungeon Siege 3

Silent Storm

The Last Remnant

Final Fantasy VIII

Final Fantasy VI

Secret of Mana

Seiken Densetsu 3

Tales of Phantasia

Ultima VII - The Black Gate

Fallout - New Vegas

Devil May Cry 3

Devil May Cry 4

Ogre Battle

Vagrant Story

Golden Axe

Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of Lounge Lizards

Grand Prix Circuit

Lemmings

Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe

Sid Meier's Civilization IV

The Sims 2

No One Lives Forever 2

Alpha Protocol

Chip's Challenge

Arkanoid II: The Revenge of Doh

World Class Leader Board

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Grim Fandango

Thief: The Dark Project

Deus Ex

Worms

Diablo

Command and Conquer: Red Alert

Prince of Persia

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns

Mass Effect 2

Edit2:

Moar!

Jet Set Willy

Atic Atac

Manic Miner

Megalomania

Xenon 2

Match Day 2

Jetpac

Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar

Baldur's Gate

Gothic 2

Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga

Rocksmith 2014

Pinball Fantasies

Anachronox

Unreal Tournament

Risen

The Chaos Engine

Cannon Fodder

SWIV

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords

Vampire: Bloodlines

X-COM: Terror from the Deep

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri   (AAAAHHH, this should have been in the 25!)

The Settlers 2

Caesar III

Tetris

Bubble Bobble

Puzzle Bobble

The Lost Vikings

Super Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

Starcraft

• Like 3

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I've pondered over this list of mine, and decided to make it more a list of the games that I obsessively played - so best equals my getting obsessed with playing them a lot and intensively or even modding them. So, for instance, one of my favourite games (Planescape Torment) don't even get to #25 here, since I only played it once. The list slightly surprised me as well. I tend to rank newer games on this list higher (fresh memories?).

25. Cauldron II (1)

24. Champions of Krynn (1)

23. Civilization 3 (1)

22. Titan Quest (1)

21. Skyrim (1)

20. Warlords 2 (the modding, playing against my friends) (1)

19. Lord of the Rings Online (2)

18. Genghis Khan (2)

17. Civilization 1 (2)

16. Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss (3)

15. Fallout New Vegas (3)

14. Ultima VII The Black Gate (3)

13. Sid Meier's Pirates (4)

12. Civilization 2 (4)

11. Hearthstone (4)

10. Civilization V (with all expansions) (5)

9. Diablo 3 (I never played the earlier editions much. This is like poison) (5)

8. Dishonored 2 (7)

7. BG2 (7)

6. Company of Heroes 2 (I never played CoH1) (9)

5. Dishonored 1 (9)

4. Civilization IV (with all expansions) (11)

3. NWN1 (the fun on persistent servers was nearly endless, which makes up for rather basic solo campaigns) (11)

2. BG1 (13)

1. NWN2 + expansions (modding, persistent servers, MotB, why I am on these forums - need I say more?) (15)

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Atic Atac

Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar

Bubble Bobble

I love that you mention these - they were all contenders. I adored them and played them heaps and heaps.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

25. Daikatana, Developer:John Romero, Release: John Romero

24. Castlevania 64, Developer: Konami Computer Entertainment Kobe, Release: 1999

23. Rogue Warrior, Developer: Rebellion Developments, Release: 2009

22. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5, Developer: Robomodo, Release: 2015

21. Umbrella corps, Developer: Capcom, Release:  2016

20. Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City, Developer: SlantSixGames, Release:2012

19. Ride to Hell: Retribution, Developer: Eutechnyx, Release: 2013

18. The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct, Developer: Terminal Reality, Release: 2013

17. Call of Duty: Black Ops: Declassified, Developer: nStigate Games, Release: 2012

16. Doctor Who: Return to Earth, Developer: Asylum Entertainment, Release: 2010

15. Tunnel Rats: 1968, Developer: Uwe Boll, Release: Uwe Boll 

13. Lula 3D, Developer: cdv Software Entertainmnt, Release: 2006

12. Batman: Dark Tomorrow, Developer: Hotgen, Release: 2003

11. Bubsy 3D, Developer: SIE Bend Studio, Release: 1997

10. Link: The Faces of Evil, Developer: Animation Magic, Release: 1993

9. Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon,  Developer: Animation Magic, Release: 1993
8. Final Fight: Streetwise, Developer: Capcom Production Studio 8, Release: 2006
7. Perfect Dark Zero, Developer: Rare, Release: 2005
6. Aquaman: Battle for Atlantis, Developer: Lucky Chicken Games, Release: 2003
5. Sonic the Hedgehog, Developer: Sonic Team, Release: 2006
4. Medal of Honor: Warfighter, Developer: Danger Close Games, Release: 2012
3. Half Life 3, Developer: GabeN, Release: GabeN
2. Superman 64, Developer: Titus Software, Release: 1999
1. Alien: Colonial Marines, Developer: Randy Pitchford, Release: Randy Pitchford 

What I absolutely adore about this list. I haven't played a single game listed here! :)

I've pondered over this list of mine, and decided to make it more a list of the games that I obsessively played - so best equals my getting obsessed with playing them a lot and intensively or even modding them. So, for instance, one of my favourite games (Planescape Torment) don't even get to #25 here, since I only played it once. The list slightly surprised me as well. I tend to rank newer games on this list higher (fresh memories?).

25. Cauldron II

24. Champions of Krynn

23. Civilization 3

22. Titan Quest

21. Skyrim

20. Warlords 2 (the modding, playing against my friends)

19. Lord of the Rings Online

18. Genghis Khan

17. Civilization 1

16. Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss

15. Fallout New Vegas

14. Ultima VII The Black Gate

13. Sid Meier's Pirates

12. Civilization 2

11. Hearthstone

10. Civilization V (with all expansions)

9. Diablo 3 (I never played the earlier editions much. This is like poison)

8. Dishonored 2

7. BG2

6. Company of Heroes 2 (I never played CoH1)

5. Dishonored 1

4. Civilization IV (with all expansions)

3. NWN1 (the fun on persistent servers was nearly endless, which makes up for rather basic solo campaigns)

2. BG1

1. NWN2 + expansions (modding, persistent servers, MotB, why I am on these forums - need I say more?)

Cheers. Though for future participants, please send your lists as a PM to me please! :D

• Like 1