I've been wondering about character building from a perspective of not min-maxing, mainly for the Watcher. Like many, I'm planning a run in preparation for Deadfire, and I don't want to really dump any stats for the main character. Has anyone got any experience of playing PoTD with lets say 'balanced' characters? Any character builds that don't require dumping a stat? The idea would be that you can reduce a stat by a couple of points but that's all.

Basically, I've hit a situation where I want high mental stats for the dialogue choices, and don't really want to play as a passive tanky character, but no other builds I can come up with seem likely to work without dumping resolve. Just finished a playthrough on Hard as a Cipher with base stats of

M10

C8

D9 (8+1 Elf)

P18 (17+1 Elf)

I18 (17+1 Old Vailia)

R15

Which got to the following by Sun In Shadow.

M13

C11

D9

P20

I20

R19

I'm basically wondering if PoTD is playable with this sort of stat distribution or if min-max builds are necessary.

I don't mind min-maxing for hired adventurers but I'd prefer to avoid it with the main. Any build suggestions here? I'd quite like to avoid Ciphers or Rogues as I have already completed playthroughs with them but I'm open to anything!

It's totally fine to not min-max stats on PotD.

If you have problems on PotD, stat distribution will most likely not be the reason. :)

Also, the official companions are fit for PotD. Actually the game is easier with the official companions.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Most every character that I've made has had a 10 as its lowest stat. I might max a stat or two as well but don't dump any. Play PotD except for very first campaign.

Understanding the game mechanics and utilizing items will have a much bigger effect on how doable PotD is rather than min-maxed stats.

Many of the stickied builds are not min maxed, there's something there for just about anyone. Pick something you like rather than something you think is powerful.

I'd probably advise against min-maxing on PotD unless you really know what you're doing - otherwise you risk putting a hole in your defences.

I've been thinking when I have the time trying out the Stun-locking Rogue I spoke about in the provisional builds thread I made a while back. The endgame spread for that would be:

MIG: 21

CON: 17

DEX: 14

PER: 13

INT: 15

RES: 21

With a shield, this gives 105 Accuracy using Superb Cladhalíath, Def/Ref/Fort/Will 115/118/110/106 and over 300 Endurance, 4 damage per Deep Wounds tick, and damage on crit (which should happen more or less constantly, with single enemies being perma-stunned and Dirty/Vicious FIghting plus Durgan Refined for 40% hit to crit conversion) of 70-103 without Deathblows, 95-139 with. This isn't factoring in Thrust of the Tattered Veils from Badgradr's Barricade, which given the enemy is constantly stunned should also proc constantly (and as Boeroer has previously mentioned, is effected by Deathblows).

The defences are comfortably buffable to Def/Ref/Fort/Will 165/174/163/136 (Potion of Llengrath's Displaced Image and Scroll of Defense mainly) and your accuracy against beasts can be buffed to 140 (Blackwarden's Breast plus third stage survival bonus).

I'd say with the high accuracy, high damage and solid defences, plus constant raw damage from Deep Wounds which you can distribute through Retaliation the ability should easily be able to hold its own - despite not really having anything maxed or minned. I'll probably post the build up untested in full so people can have a play around with it - I won't be able to have a go at it myself in the near future.

Edited by Jojobobo

The great thing about pillars is you really don't need to min/max. They have done a great job catering to the power gamers and role players - I frequently end up with 14/15 in stats and my characters never feel gimped. In fact, there is an argument that serious min/maxing is counter productive - you often need specific equipment to cater to your weaknesses which can mean not having room for some awesome equipment. Not sure where the actual sweet spot is but I hardly ever drop a stat below 10.

So build your character the way you want to - the game is really flexible that way...

• Like 1

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

@jojobobo  - what are the beginning stats on your rogue? Looks interesting. I love rogues but find them under powered on Potd. Any other difficulty they rock.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."

Lord of Light

@jojobobo  - what are the beginning stats on your rogue? Looks interesting. I love rogues but find them under powered on Potd. Any other difficulty they rock.

I'm going to post a class build for it shortly, though as a disclaimer it will be entirely untested as I've got too much on right now to play it through. But, I'd be very surprised if it works anything less than very well on solo PotD. It's supposed to address the conception that they're are one of the weakest classes.

• Like 1

Ok cool, thanks - looking forward to it.

• Like 1

Lord of Light

The great thing about pillars is you really don't need to min/max. They have done a great job catering to the power gamers and role players - I frequently end up with 14/15 in stats and my characters never feel gimped. In fact, there is an argument that serious min/maxing is counter productive - you often need specific equipment to cater to your weaknesses which can mean not having room for some awesome equipment. Not sure where the actual sweet spot is but I hardly ever drop a stat below 10.

So build your character the way you want to - the game is really flexible that way...

Thanks for this, I feel reassured!  :yes:

My first port of call was youtube, but I can't seem to find any up to date videos about character builds except for one guy Nerd Commando, who seems to be all about min-maxing, so I guess I just got the impression it was necessary for PoTD.

Good to hear an alternative viewpoint.

I do quite like the idea of having a stat that is a little bit reduced - it does make things slightly more interesting in some ways.  

I was thinking about a ranger, going for a sort of fast attack-speed thing.  Kinda like Legolas, but with a wolf instead of a Dwarf as a pet....  :w00t:

Any thoughts on a good stat distribution for that?

Well I'd have a look at the builds post - and then you can tweak the stats to your liking. But in general, might and dexterity are the most important. Intelligence can be useful particularly for stormbringer. The biggest decision before twinned arrows is vicious aim or swift aim. But they both can work.

I am the wrong person to ask for stat advice  - but I find 16/17 Might and dexterity work well, and give me some stat points to go elsewhere.

Lord of Light