A very quick plea for Obsidian (combat speed)

Starwars

Longer recovery = sit through it while getting bored to tears as your guys just stand there, staring at their enemies like idiots.

Getting everyone to 0 recovery has just become more important...

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I have to say that in general i think combat speed is better than poe1 and combat is more easily readable. Love that you can filter the combat log! I also think that movement speed/running animations makes combat feel chaotic and jittery. Maybe stride needs its own walking animation? *wink wink*

Current beta already has 1-handers, which most players and foes are using, set to a recovery three times faster than intended. Wouldn’t it be a good idea to fix that and test it before making recovery even slower?

Fixing that and making recovery slower on top of it is another case of applying multiple fixes to the same issue. One fix at a time would be more advisable, IMO.

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Current beta already has 1-handers, which most players and foes are using, set to a recovery three times faster than intended. Wouldn’t it be a good idea to fix that and test it before making recovery even slower?

Fixing that and making recovery slower on top of it is another case of applying multiple fixes to the same issue. One fix at a time would be more advisable, IMO.

Only the heavy one handers like swords and sabres are bugged. The spear is actually coded properly at a 3 second recovery just like two handed weapons.

I definitely agree that you should first fix a bug before you try and tweak anything.

• 2 weeks later...

i had my auto pause options fine tuned in POE1, and i tried to re-create them in 2.  it's not even close to the same.  far too hectic.  i can't get a grasp on any but the easiest combat.  it doesn't make any sense why you would even think about removing 1/2 speed.  people who don't want it don't need to use it.  i personally cant play the beta until something happens on this front.

i had my auto pause options fine tuned in POE1, and i tried to re-create them in 2.  it's not even close to the same.  far too hectic.  i can't get a grasp on any but the easiest combat.  it doesn't make any sense why you would even think about removing 1/2 speed.  people who don't want it don't need to use it.  i personally cant play the beta until something happens on this front.

We have to see how things evolve in the next update. It's not really that clear in the twitch, it seems there goal was to have only two speed as in the beta.

I completely agree with you. It's really hard for me too to play at this speed (or you have to make a full team of auto-attack guys).

Combat needs a slow mode to recreate in the battlefield and take small decisions without the need to pause all the time. Pause its needed too, I dont want to see the one removed because of the other. You can take away fast mode. If I use it usually means Im bored with the combat and no fast mode can make me stay at that point.

I cant undestand why do you remove or try to change so many things that worked fine when you had so many things too fix and they are still there.

Edited by Roda

Where did the decision to not include Slow speed come from?

JS: Basically, we wound up with three speeds: a Slow, a Normal and a Fast, and we found that a lot of people just defaulted to playing on the Slow speed. And so, we...things were not setup the way they were supposed to be on the Backer Beta but, in the next update, the speed of everything should be about the speed that Slow was in Pillars 1. In Pillars 1 Slow speed moved everything to about two-thirds the normal combat speed. That is what I wanted everything to be set to for the Backer Beta, there were just some data errors and things like that. And also the movement speed had not been adjusted. So, now, yes, 15% is not 33% but, like I said, movement speed is much more sensitive to adjustments like that. The other combat speeds and Recovery time have all been adjusted down so, hopefully, what you will find in the next Backer Beta update is that the speed of combat is comparable to Slow. My hope, and maybe this won't work, is that you will not need Slow speed because the normal pace of combat is slow, and you will use Fast mode when you want to — like if it's just, "Oh, this is a simple fight", "I'm way overleveled for this", "I just about have it wrapped up" — you can hit Fast toggle and just fly through it.

BH: And one of the nice things about the change of just reducing the overall pacing of combat: you don't get the awkward, slow motion attacks that Slow mode got in base game.

JS: Yeah, that is the other thing. Slow mode actually slows animation down, whereas making Recovery time longer makes the time between attacks longer and slows the overall pace of things happpening down, but the attacks themselves still happen at a — you know, they can still be animated and look normal, not like everything is in slow-mo.