Portraits folder for custom player portraits

Aramintai

For those who are interested, for Steam Beta the default folder location is this:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity II - Public Beta\PillarsOfEternity2_Data\gui\portraits\player\female

OR

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity II - Public Beta\PillarsOfEternity2_Data\gui\portraits\player\male

Images must be in .png format, large portrait size must be at least 210x330 with _lg at the end of the name (for example, portrait_lg.png), small one must be at least 76x96 with _sm at the end (for example, portrait_sm.png). Basically, if you have an old portrait from POE1 you can just copy that to one of those folders, as everything is the same. 

If you have a watercolored version of your custom portrait as well, you must have large one at the size of 90x141 and have _convo at the end of the name (for example, portrait_convo.png) and the small one at the size of 76x96 and have _si at the end of the name (for example, portrait_si.png). For watercolor portraits better use those exact official sizes because the game has some trouble with resizing them without making them blurry. If you don't have a watercolored version of the portrait the game will use the regular one.

Edited by Aramintai
  • Like 12

A lot of the player portraits that have been ported over from PoE 1 look like they were just run through some kind of filter rather than redone for Deadfire. Could Obsidian please set up some kind of tool for applying this filter to custom portraits, or at least explain what steps they took (what Photoshop filter settings they used, etc.)?

A lot of the player portraits that have been ported over from PoE 1 look like they were just run through some kind of filter rather than redone for Deadfire. Could Obsidian please set up some kind of tool for applying this filter to custom portraits, or at least explain what steps they took (what Photoshop filter settings they used, etc.)?

I used the "poster edges" artistic filter in Photoshop and had moderate success imitating the conversation portraits. Just apply a color filter overtop and adjust the color values until it matches the yellowish parchment color of the background.

Edited by CENIC
  • Like 6

Aloth massages his temples, shaking his head.

Btw, the game scales pictures so they don't have to be of recommended size, can be bigger, just need to maintain correct aspect ratio.

Interesting! I added the companion portraits to the player selection so I could use them for hirelings and noticed that they are much crisper than my custom portrait.  ;(

Maybe this would fix my issue.

Aloth massages his temples, shaking his head.

I think I've heard in one of the streams that watercolored portraits are painted all over again, but since they're basically low effort colored sketches their artist can do each in ~30 minutes. Not sure how much of the original gets "photoshopped" though.

However, if you need your custom portrait redone in watercolored style you can post it here as a request:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/91743-portraits/

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I just stumbled over Vela myself and thought I was the first one finding her, being able to make a big announcement on the forums for karma; good thing I checked this thread first, otherwise I would've looked like an idiot :p

The more important lesson here is that the companion portraits can be easily used for player portraits by copying the contents from the companion folder to the player folder.

Have the portraits for all the new companions and sidekicks been there before the patch already?

EDIT:

Nothing was added to the companion folder with the first patch (I checked the last date the files were changed).

Edited by Doppelschwert
  • Like 1