Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Deadfire DLC items from v3.07?

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

sarcongin

sarcongin

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts

I am PotD soloing Rogue ‘Pirate’ Build right now. Just reached level 11. Using the three new armors, switching depending on encounter. Using Fulvanos BB to open, both the Sabre and Club as a dual wield but switching to Firebrand when necessary. The build is beastly so far. Complete the endless paths except for the Adra Dragon. Entering WM now. No encounter gave me real trouble. With deathblows, Savage Attack, Reckless Assualt, wiping everything.

Great! Would you like to post your starting build? Id like to try it out

Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 707 posts

I am PotD soloing Rogue ‘Pirate’ Build right now. Just reached level 11. Using the three new armors, switching depending on encounter. Using Fulvanos BB to open, both the Sabre and Club as a dual wield but switching to Firebrand when necessary. The build is beastly so far. Complete the endless paths except for the Adra Dragon. Entering WM now. No encounter gave me real trouble. With deathblows, Savage Attack, Reckless Assualt, wiping everything.

Great! Would you like to post your starting build? Id like to try it out

Borreal Dwarf
Deadfire Arch
Drifter

M - 15
C - 10
D - 14
P - 14
I - 10
R - 15
( I never dump stats below 8...)

Blinding Strike
Dual Wielding Sabre/ Club

Early game isn’t bad once you reach level 5. Avoid the major fights. Crank up stealth to avoid the spirits in the Caed Nua throne room. Add Vets recovery and Fulvanos Amulet found in Margan’s Fork asap.
  • sarcongin likes this

sarcongin

sarcongin

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts

Thanks alot! And merry christmas :)

Raven Darkholme

Raven Darkholme

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1771 posts
  • Steam:Victor_Creed_SFV

Idk if it got posted before (I quickly checked but might be blind) or if it was in any patchnotes, but today more by chance than anything realised the armor got nerfed and only gives +9 to deflection and the other defense depending on piece.

This still kinda helps with not having to use a deflection ring, but I'm wondering if I'll change armor. (most likely will, it's such a narrow gap between op and useless, since I solo cipher and the DR is pretty low)

Jojobobo

Jojobobo

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1274 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yeah it was mentioned in the patch notes. I feel like the should have probably gone for +12/+12, but oh well.

I think the main utility is that it adds Deflection, so on a pure tank build it's still alright as it means you don't have to take a Ring/Bracers of Deflection or the Cape of the Master Mystic to get decent Deflection boost.

Another way of looking at it if is you don't necessary have to use a Ring of Defence either, as the slots that you would put an item of Defence in can now be filled with a +4 attribute booster (Mantle of the Excavator, Iron Circle, Gwyn's Band) which offer a +8 boost to a specific defence anyway due to the attribute boost (while naturally offering other benefits).

But yeah, they made an item which I think would have seen some wide use hugely niche. Obsidian is crazy.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7915 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Well, there are some other items with +12 to a single defense, like Cape of the Master Mystic (+12 deflection), Munacra Arret (+12 to Will) or even +18 (Father's Teeth, fortitude).

Those have all additional enchantment besides the defense buff. So it would have been totally fair to give those uniforms +12 in a single defense. But +20 was def. too much. Also because you could get the stuff so early and easily now via merchant (would have been different if you could only get those after a tough fight) and it kinda broke the game a bit.

Jojobobo

Jojobobo

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1274 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

To be honest, the Belt of the Royal Deadfire Cannoneer makes the game substantially easier. You can get it quite easily fully unlocked by Act I, and Torrent of Flame obliterates enemies (having a +15 acc bonus), Flame Shield is potent Retaliation (+10 acc bonus), and Firebrand is very strong so long as you have even half good accuracy. The Phantoms at Caed Nua are now a doddle, as if you slap on Rymyrgand's Mantle the Flame Shield will take them out easily enough - even if you are completely stun-locked.

Busting out Torrent of Flame on my Rogue right now, I usually get in the range of 80-120 damage on each target. If you pair this with the Adra Beetle's shock AoE, you can readily nuke a tricky group of enemies regardless of your class.

I'm not in anyway suggesting the Belt be changed, honestly it just serves to make Act I less tedious and as it quickly becomes less and less powerful in Act II and subsequent Acts (if they were going to nerf it, I would recommend they just set the requirements higher than change the actual benefits it gives). However, it's a little weird that Obsidian would completely nerf the pirtate uniforms let allow the belt to remain untouched, as +9/+9 has made them largely irrelevant now.

Raven Darkholme

Raven Darkholme

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1771 posts
  • Steam:Victor_Creed_SFV

Yeah +12 would have been totally acceptable, less op but still super useful.

And I agree that these items are to early/eaSy to get, at least a quest/fight to unlock the merchant even if it is no more difficult than other Act 1 fights would have balanced this issue.

Edited by Raven Darkholme, 13 January 2018 - 03:53 AM.

• Jojobobo likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users