Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Deadfire DLC items from v3.07?

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

Jojobobo

Jojobobo

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1129 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Hmmm, thinking about Fulvano's Blunderbuss, I bet that Charm chance (5%) is per pellet hit or crit - not per shot hit or crit. That's how Silver Flash works with Divine Mark, meaning that the chance for it is higher than you'd expect.

If I remember high school statistics correctly P(at least one Charm) = 1 - P(all Charms miss). If we assume all the 6 pellets of the Blunderbuss hit or crit, then P(at least one Charm) = 1 - (0.95^6) = 26.5% Charm chance.

Not sure how useful it would be, seeing as guns are painfully slow to reload, but it is pretty neat. Might form the basis of a Swift Aim Charm Ranger perhaps (you wouldn't even need high Might, just max Dex, Per and Int and let the frequent Charms and hungry pet do the work for you).

Edited by Jojobobo, 07 December 2017 - 10:07 AM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7632 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Yes, 26.5% charm chance is correct (if we let misses and grazes aside). A ranger could even achieve ~46% with Driving Flight (assuming no misses and grazes and that there's somebody to charm behind the initial target). I don't think Powder Burns will trigger the charm, so I would stay with Swift Aim and compensate the lack of ACC with Stalker's Link, Marksman and WF Ruffian maybe even Mob Justice instead of Merciless Hand.

You shouldn't even pick Penetrating Shot in order to spam charms more quickly - but to be honest that's maybe too much gimpage of your damage. I would use Penetratin Shot + Ryona's with a blunderbuss anytime.

High INT would be benefical for the Wounding Shot effect (triggering Predator's Sense for a longer time) as well as Envenomed Strikes (higher damage also because a crit is more likely with 6 pellets and thus longer Predator's Sense).

Hig INT is also cool for Binding Roots which will add another nice CC effect. A charmed enemy here, a stuck enemy there... :)

Then put on Munacra Arret and later even Spirit Spiral, grab the Ring of Changing Heart, pick Enigma's Charm and your hefty Mind Control Ranger is ready to be put into the build list. ;)

Edited by Boeroer, 10 December 2017 - 01:38 AM.

• Jojobobo likes this

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2284 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I've been so focused on the Deadfire beta I hadn't even really looked at these new items yet. I'm thinking of start an import run and I look forward to trying some of these out (and probably voluntarily not using the three uniforms).

Jojobobo

Jojobobo

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1129 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yes, 26.5% charm chance is correct (if we let misses and grazes aside). A ranger could even achieve ~46% with Driving Flight (assuming no misses and grazes and that there's somebody to charm behind the initial target). I don't think Powder Burns will trigger the charm, so I would stay with Swift Aim and compensate the lack of ACC with Stalker's Link, Marksman and WF Ruffian maybe even Mob Justice instead of Merciless Hand.

You shouldn't even pick Penetrating Shot in order to spam charms more quickly - but to be honest that's maybe too much gimpage of your damage. I would use Penetratin Shot + Ryona's with a blunderbuss anytime.

High INT would be benefical for the Wounding Shot effect (triggering Predator's Sense for a longer time) as well as Envenomed Strikes (higher damage also because a crit is more likely with 6 pellets and thus longer Predator's Sense).

Hig INT is also cool for Binding Roots which will add another nice CC effect. A charmed enemy here, a stuck enemy there... :)

Then put on Munacra Arret and later even Spirit Spiral, grab the Ring of Changing Heart, pick Enigma's Charm and your hefty Mind Control Ranger is ready to be put into the build list. ;)

Sounds good! I'm playing that tanky WIzard currently so I won't be able to solo something like this concurrently, but if anyone else wanted to run with the idea have at it!

Speaking of the items, one weird interaction I've noticed is that the bug that allows the Company Captain's Cap to target the player with Confuse (even which the hat itself makes the player immune to Confuse) will trigger a Wild Orlan's Defiant Resolve. Not really overpowered or ridiculous in anyway (and likely something Obsidian will patch out sooner or later) but for the time being it's pretty neat when it occasionally does happen.

• Raven Darkholme likes this

Raven Darkholme

Raven Darkholme

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1746 posts
  • Steam:Victor_Creed_SFV

Sounds good! I'm playing that tanky WIzard currently so I won't be able to solo something like this concurrently, but if anyone else wanted to run with the idea have at it!

Speaking of the items, one weird interaction I've noticed is that the bug that allows the Company Captain's Cap to target the player with Confuse (even which the hat itself makes the player immune to Confuse) will trigger a Wild Orlan's Defiant Resolve. Not really overpowered or ridiculous in anyway (and likely something Obsidian will patch out sooner or later) but for the time being it's pretty neat when it occasionally does happen.

Ha this is much better than the ciphers psychic backlash, which keeps firing on myself and stunning me. :D

MasterCipher

MasterCipher

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 191 posts

The captain's hat triggers on my priest when he 'hits' my paladin wearing the captains hat with inspiring radiance.

grausch

grausch

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
Consecrated Ground also triggers a Confuse on the caster by the wearer of the hat. Perhaps the user of the hat should be the one to use shod-in-faith.

Jojobobo

Jojobobo

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1129 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Consecrated Ground also triggers a Confuse on the caster by the wearer of the hat. Perhaps the user of the hat should be the one to use shod-in-faith.

Yeah it definitely works like that. The trouble is, receiving crits to trigger Shod-in-Faith Consecrated Grounfs doesn't fit well with a defensive build. I guess currently it would be a way to shore up a low-defence class'defences (e.g. a Wild Orlan Barbarian), but it's also something that would be fairly natural to patch out if they were going to.

GrSX

GrSX

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts

Have some problems with Belt of the Royal Deadfire Cannoneer. Can`t unlock even first level. It said "Take 100 points of damage from ranged enemie", but it just dont work! Take about 10 minutes of

archer shooting at me, and have no result, not even 1 of 100 points at the belt.

Did i do something wrong?

Jojobobo

Jojobobo

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1129 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Have some problems with Belt of the Royal Deadfire Cannoneer. Can`t unlock even first level. It said "Take 100 points of damage from ranged enemie", but it just dont work! Take about 10 minutes of

archer shooting at me, and have no result, not even 1 of 100 points at the belt.

Did i do something wrong?

It unlocks fine on my end, possibly try a different form of ranged damage other than bow fire (e.g. spell damage).

Phenomenum

Phenomenum

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 199 posts
Another 'charming' detail: if you're using Hat with Belt or Forgemaster gloves, Firebrand summoning also might trigger Confuse on caster.
All and all - funny Hat. Looks like some clever wizard's joke :)

Jojobobo

Jojobobo

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1129 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Another 'charming' detail: if you're using Hat with Belt or Forgemaster gloves, Firebrand summoning also might trigger Confuse on caster.
All and all - funny Hat. Looks like some clever wizard's joke :)

Literally any effect used on the character in the hat has a chance to Confuse the caster (whether it's you - in which case the hat eventually makes you immune - or your party).

In all likeliness it's a bug, but possibly they wanted to balance the cost of the hefty mixed attribute bonuses the hat gives. I guess it's a little weird seeing as there's no "cost" for using the rather beastly belt.

I find Confuse a little annoying anyway, as somehow it seems to heal enemies a little when it's used for reasons I'm not sure about. When casting Confuse it's okay as the blanket effect is well worth it as a distraction, but a 10% chance to Confuse an enemy is usually a little more trouble than it's worth.

Even if they don't fix the hat, it's good early game (particularly with something like Hermit's Hat to make your primary buffer immune to Confuse) however maybe it should be sold off towards late game.

• Phenomenum likes this

Phenomenum

Phenomenum

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 199 posts
Agreed. Now i went to WM (lvl 7 as usually) and Confuse triggers on everything - most annoying it'a Palleggina's Vielo Vidorio trigger - in tough fights this random Confuse of my main tank makes even simple encounters emm... complicated. Not sure i'll want using this Hat futher. Good for soloing anyway.

Edited by Phenomenum, Yesterday, 12:30 PM.

Phenomenum

Phenomenum

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 199 posts
On another side: Belt + Forgemaster gloves is killing mashine for Barbarian or Rogue. Even without Deathblows rogue crits deals 100-120 dmg, with Deathblows it will be 150+ and 6 uses per rest + decent attribute bonuses... Just WOW! :)
  • Jojobobo and Raven Darkholme like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

draego