I am PotD soloing Rogue ‘Pirate’ Build right now. Just reached level 11. Using the three new armors, switching depending on encounter. Using Fulvanos BB to open, both the Sabre and Club as a dual wield but switching to Firebrand when necessary. The build is beastly so far. Complete the endless paths except for the Adra Dragon. Entering WM now. No encounter gave me real trouble. With deathblows, Savage Attack, Reckless Assualt, wiping everything.

Great! Would you like to post your starting build? Id like to try it out

Borreal Dwarf

Deadfire Arch

Drifter

M - 15

C - 10

D - 14

P - 14

I - 10

R - 15

( I never dump stats below 8...)

Blinding Strike

Dual Wielding Sabre/ Club

Early game isn’t bad once you reach level 5. Avoid the major fights. Crank up stealth to avoid the spirits in the Caed Nua throne room. Add Vets recovery and Fulvanos Amulet found in Margan’s Fork asap.

• Like 1

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

• 3 weeks later...

Idk if it got posted before (I quickly checked but might be blind) or if it was in any patchnotes, but today more by chance than anything realised the armor got nerfed and only gives +9 to deflection and the other defense depending on piece.

This still kinda helps with not having to use a deflection ring, but I'm wondering if I'll change armor. (most likely will, it's such a narrow gap between op and useless, since I solo cipher and the DR is pretty low)

Yeah it was mentioned in the patch notes. I feel like the should have probably gone for +12/+12, but oh well.

I think the main utility is that it adds Deflection, so on a pure tank build it's still alright as it means you don't have to take a Ring/Bracers of Deflection or the Cape of the Master Mystic to get decent Deflection boost.

Another way of looking at it if is you don't necessary have to use a Ring of Defence either, as the slots that you would put an item of Defence in can now be filled with a +4 attribute booster (Mantle of the Excavator, Iron Circle, Gwyn's Band) which offer a +8 boost to a specific defence anyway due to the attribute boost (while naturally offering other benefits).

But yeah, they made an item which I think would have seen some wide use hugely niche. Obsidian is crazy.

• Like 1

Well, there are some other items with +12 to a single defense, like Cape of the Master Mystic (+12 deflection), Munacra Arret (+12 to Will) or even +18 (Father's Teeth, fortitude).

Those have all additional enchantment besides the defense buff. So it would have been totally fair to give those uniforms +12 in a single defense. But +20 was def. too much. Also because you could get the stuff so early and easily now via merchant (would have been different if you could only get those after a tough fight) and it kinda broke the game a bit.

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

To be honest, the Belt of the Royal Deadfire Cannoneer makes the game substantially easier. You can get it quite easily fully unlocked by Act I, and Torrent of Flame obliterates enemies (having a +15 acc bonus), Flame Shield is potent Retaliation (+10 acc bonus), and Firebrand is very strong so long as you have even half good accuracy. The Phantoms at Caed Nua are now a doddle, as if you slap on Rymyrgand's Mantle the Flame Shield will take them out easily enough - even if you are completely stun-locked.

Busting out Torrent of Flame on my Rogue right now, I usually get in the range of 80-120 damage on each target. If you pair this with the Adra Beetle's shock AoE, you can readily nuke a tricky group of enemies regardless of your class.

I'm not in anyway suggesting the Belt be changed, honestly it just serves to make Act I less tedious and as it quickly becomes less and less powerful in Act II and subsequent Acts (if they were going to nerf it, I would recommend they just set the requirements higher than change the actual benefits it gives). However, it's a little weird that Obsidian would completely nerf the pirtate uniforms let allow the belt to remain untouched, as +9/+9 has made them largely irrelevant now.

• Like 2

Yeah +12 would have been totally acceptable, less op but still super useful.

And I agree that these items are to early/eaSy to get, at least a quest/fight to unlock the merchant even if it is no more difficult than other Act 1 fights would have balanced this issue.

Edited by Raven Darkholme
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I was really sad that the uniforms got such a debuff. Why were they even given +20 to two defenses if they were going to be nerfed so hard?

As some other have said I think +12 would have been a much better place for them to end up. I'm all for balance and not having "best, have to use them" items but even at +20 I wasn't using those uniforms by late game except for my rogue.

Hm, I had no problems whatsoever with the DLC and the merchant. Neither on Linux nor on Win10 (both steam).

The Belt is quite awesome for barb or monk retaliation builds - or anybody else who wants to use Firebrand all the time (6 uses/rest with Forgemaster Gloves - playing a melee cipher with it atm and it's awesome).

The Company Captain's Cap is one of the best (if not THE best) headgear because it has the highest stats boost of any headgear in th game and gives you immunity to mind control - pretty nice for priests or paladins. I used it on Edér lately with a duelist setup (rapier + dagger) and it's also one of two feathered hats that look good with such a setup and has bonuses.

The sabre is ok - Overbearing Wave on crit is pretty awesome for a rogue (works with Deathblows and so on) - pretty nice in combo with Swaddling Sheet and White Crest Armor - Overbearing Waves all over the place. ;)

Fulvano's Blunderbuss is a bit meh. You need some shots in order to charm somebody (26% chance per shot). For example taking four shots can take an eternity to fire & reload in PoE with a blunderbuss. I don't know if it works with Powder Burns, but I doubt it. One could raise the chances with Driving Flight though.

I couldn't fully unlock the Spike-Flinger yet - Sagani is tryig hard but it takes a lot of shots to proc prone via spell chance. :(

The war club could be nice on a barb. Weaken/Hobbled with carnage, maybe together with St. Wygelt's Cudgel for a debuffing barb to carry over to Deadfire as Mage Slayer.

Besides that it's not too powerful. Lacks lashes as most other souldbound weapons.

I couldn't fully unlock the Spike-Flinger yet - Sagani is tryig hard but it takes a lot of shots to proc prone via spell chance. :(

I unlocked Nightshroud's first level by beating on one of my companions until I got 13 Blinds (making sure to rest before their completely died). Perhaps something similar would work with Spike Flinger?

I tried to shoot my Aloth for more than 10 minutes (fast game speed) but nothing happened. In combat it will trigger every once in a while. But since reloading is so slow, even with Swift Aim, it takes forever to unlock. Driving Flight might help. :)

I tried to shoot my Aloth for more than 10 minutes (fast game speed) but nothing happened. In combat it will trigger every once in a while. But since reloading is so slow, even with Swift Aim, it takes forever to unlock. Driving Flight might help. :)

Bah that sucks. I wonder if it still works for Nightshroud (though I only usually unlock Nightshroud out of habit: I've never used it seriously).

Unlocking Nightshroud is easy if you have a ranger; you can just auto attack the pet until the blind effect procs 13 times, and you don't have to worry about health. Perhaps the same would work with the Spike-flinger? I can't test this; I upgraded to 3.07 + the deadfire pack in the Macstore, but the new merchant hasn't yet appeared for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, visually the armors are still as bugged and therefore ugly as hell (only on male characters.)

There is a fix for the arbalest on the Nexus page for Pillars, so you can look there. I didn't test it though, as I prefer to stay on 3.06 due to the overall blurry graphics since 3.07.

Edited by Cerebro83

Well, visually the armors are still as bugged and therefore ugly as hell (only on male characters.)

There is a fix for the arbalest on the Nexus page for Pillars, so you can look there. I didn't test it though, as I prefer to stay on 3.06 due to the overall blurry graphics since 3.07.

Ya My graphics are not blurry in 3.07 but I know yours are I’ve seen your posts. That’s weird, must be machine specific.

Also the Sabre of the Seas “sharp” enchant that all Sabres have reads 135% on the weapon description. It’s a typo as on the character sheet damage display the “sharp” is the correct 20%. It also does the correct damage.

Have gun will travel.

It was disappointing to see how Obsidian promptly "fixed" the armors with a dedicated patch, while the arbalest was left untouched... 

Yeah, I do sometimes wonder about how they go about this stuff. The armours were overpowered (now they're good at low levels but not particularly at higher ones) but they weren't bugged. Meanwhile the arbalest is bugged (or if it's not it's really bad), but for some reason it's ignored.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...