Can't understand all those complains about Spike-Finger reload speed. Give that thing to ranger with Swift Aim and still have +70% attack speed and 0% reload speed penalty. Can't see any problems here - considering superb quality and 30% chance to cast prohe or stun on hit/crit, it'a a pretty fair tradeoff.

That makes the weapon only really usable by a Ranger though, which shouldn't be the case.

I'm all for the idea of "it's so powerful that it can Stun and Prone people, therefore it takes a long time to reload", but if the devs were really trying to play that angle the decreased reload speed should have coincided with the Stun and Prone chance. In this way the level 3 weapon unlock is actually better than the level 5, which is fundamentally counterintuitive, and therefore likely an oversight (extremely weird seeing as the got the +50% attack speed working just fine, you'd think they wouldn't make the mistake to throw in a minus in front of the reload speed).

I'd agree with you, partially - at the moment it only usable by ranger with SA. Another one thing: this arbalest don't have crit damage penalty (- 0.3 to crit gamage).

But you're right - level 3 seems to better than lvl 5. Don't think it's a mistake (becose with bonus +50% reload speed, rangers might have +100% reload speed bonus and +70% attack speed which will be overpowered anyway), i think it's a design oversight.

Thanks for giving the breakdown, I presume none of the upgrades are class-specific (different for a different class, or requiring different criteria)? I haven't seen any evidence that they were in my own testing, but that wasn't very rigorous.

I haven't seen any  class-specific upgrade, but I didn't do rigorous testing either.  If anyone finds any evidence of a class-specific upgrade, I'll edit in the post.

I highly doubt either the Cap or the Belt give different class upgrade options, though.  Just really doesn't make sense from a design perspective.  Maybe I'll test a Wizard for Spike-Flinger or a Priest for the War Club sometime, as they might be the most likely to have something different.

But the options given (Prone, Stun | Hobble, Weaken) do seem generic enough to be universal.

I love the idea of running around drinking milk to unlock the Company Captain's Cap.

Real Men wear pink drink milk. ;)

• Like 1

Can't understand all those complains about Spike-Finger reload speed. Give that thing to ranger with Swift Aim and still have +70% attack speed and 0% reload speed penalty. Can't see any problems here - considering superb quality and 30% chance to cast prohe or stun on hit/crit, it'a a pretty fair tradeoff.

That makes the weapon only really usable by a Ranger though, which shouldn't be the case.

I'm all for the idea of "it's so powerful that it can Stun and Prone people, therefore it takes a long time to reload", but if the devs were really trying to play that angle the decreased reload speed should have coincided with the Stun and Prone chance. In this way the level 3 weapon unlock is actually better than the level 5, which is fundamentally counterintuitive, and therefore likely an oversight (extremely weird seeing as the got the +50% attack speed working just fine, you'd think they wouldn't make the mistake to throw in a minus in front of the reload speed).

I'd agree with you, partially - at the moment it only usable by ranger with SA. Another one thing: this arbalest don't have crit damage penalty (- 0.3 to crit gamage).

But you're right - level 3 seems to better than lvl 5. Don't think it's a mistake (becose with bonus +50% reload speed, rangers might have +100% reload speed bonus and +70% attack speed which will be overpowered anyway), i think it's a design oversight.

The War Club also seems to have a bit of a design oversight as the change from Level 3 to Level 4 is perhaps lateral at best when it changes from Exceptional to Accurate 4.  You get an increase in Accuracy (+8 to +15), but less damage (+30% to +15%)

But the time one is going to be on Level 4 is pretty trivial, IMO.  Dealing 300 points of damage via Critical Hit shouldn't take long at all.  Then it gets upgraded to Accurate 6 which is +21/+30%. So in the end, not a big deal.

Black Hound Inn (Gilded Vale)

Goose and Fox (Copperlane)

The Charred Barrel (Brackenbury)

The Salty Mast (Ondra's Gift)

Dracogen Inn (Dyrford Village)

The Celestial Sapling (Heartsong)

Wailing Banshee?

Gref's Rest?

I guess these are optional places, so they are out of equation.

EDIT: By optional I mean they are not there from scratch, you either have to finish a quest or install the expansion.

Edited by Messier-31

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Hmmm, thinking about Fulvano's Blunderbuss, I bet that Charm chance (5%) is per pellet hit or crit - not per shot hit or crit. That's how Silver Flash works with Divine Mark, meaning that the chance for it is higher than you'd expect.

If I remember high school statistics correctly P(at least one Charm) = 1 - P(all Charms miss). If we assume all the 6 pellets of the Blunderbuss hit or crit, then P(at least one Charm) = 1 - (0.95^6) = 26.5% Charm chance.

Not sure how useful it would be, seeing as guns are painfully slow to reload, but it is pretty neat. Might form the basis of a Swift Aim Charm Ranger perhaps (you wouldn't even need high Might, just max Dex, Per and Int and let the frequent Charms and hungry pet do the work for you).

Edited by Jojobobo

Yes, 26.5% charm chance is correct (if we let misses and grazes aside). A ranger could even achieve ~46% with Driving Flight (assuming no misses and grazes and that there's somebody to charm behind the initial target). I don't think Powder Burns will trigger the charm, so I would stay with Swift Aim and compensate the lack of ACC with Stalker's Link, Marksman and WF Ruffian maybe even Mob Justice instead of Merciless Hand.

You shouldn't even pick Penetrating Shot in order to spam charms more quickly - but to be honest that's maybe too much gimpage of your damage. I would use Penetratin Shot + Ryona's with a blunderbuss anytime.

High INT would be benefical for the Wounding Shot effect (triggering Predator's Sense for a longer time) as well as Envenomed Strikes (higher damage also because a crit is more likely with 6 pellets and thus longer Predator's Sense).

Hig INT is also cool for Binding Roots which will add another nice CC effect. A charmed enemy here, a stuck enemy there... :)

Then put on Munacra Arret and later even Spirit Spiral, grab the Ring of Changing Heart, pick Enigma's Charm and your hefty Mind Control Ranger is ready to be put into the build list. ;)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Yes, 26.5% charm chance is correct (if we let misses and grazes aside). A ranger could even achieve ~46% with Driving Flight (assuming no misses and grazes and that there's somebody to charm behind the initial target). I don't think Powder Burns will trigger the charm, so I would stay with Swift Aim and compensate the lack of ACC with Stalker's Link, Marksman and WF Ruffian maybe even Mob Justice instead of Merciless Hand.

You shouldn't even pick Penetrating Shot in order to spam charms more quickly - but to be honest that's maybe too much gimpage of your damage. I would use Penetratin Shot + Ryona's with a blunderbuss anytime.

High INT would be benefical for the Wounding Shot effect (triggering Predator's Sense for a longer time) as well as Envenomed Strikes (higher damage also because a crit is more likely with 6 pellets and thus longer Predator's Sense).

Hig INT is also cool for Binding Roots which will add another nice CC effect. A charmed enemy here, a stuck enemy there... :)

Then put on Munacra Arret and later even Spirit Spiral, grab the Ring of Changing Heart, pick Enigma's Charm and your hefty Mind Control Ranger is ready to be put into the build list. ;)

Sounds good! I'm playing that tanky WIzard currently so I won't be able to solo something like this concurrently, but if anyone else wanted to run with the idea have at it!

Speaking of the items, one weird interaction I've noticed is that the bug that allows the Company Captain's Cap to target the player with Confuse (even which the hat itself makes the player immune to Confuse) will trigger a Wild Orlan's Defiant Resolve. Not really overpowered or ridiculous in anyway (and likely something Obsidian will patch out sooner or later) but for the time being it's pretty neat when it occasionally does happen.

• Like 1

Sounds good! I'm playing that tanky WIzard currently so I won't be able to solo something like this concurrently, but if anyone else wanted to run with the idea have at it!

Speaking of the items, one weird interaction I've noticed is that the bug that allows the Company Captain's Cap to target the player with Confuse (even which the hat itself makes the player immune to Confuse) will trigger a Wild Orlan's Defiant Resolve. Not really overpowered or ridiculous in anyway (and likely something Obsidian will patch out sooner or later) but for the time being it's pretty neat when it occasionally does happen.

Ha this is much better than the ciphers psychic backlash, which keeps firing on myself and stunning me. :D

Consecrated Ground also triggers a Confuse on the caster by the wearer of the hat. Perhaps the user of the hat should be the one to use shod-in-faith.

Yeah it definitely works like that. The trouble is, receiving crits to trigger Shod-in-Faith Consecrated Grounfs doesn't fit well with a defensive build. I guess currently it would be a way to shore up a low-defence class'defences (e.g. a Wild Orlan Barbarian), but it's also something that would be fairly natural to patch out if they were going to.

Have some problems with Belt of the Royal Deadfire Cannoneer. Can`t unlock even first level. It said "Take 100 points of damage from ranged enemie", but it just dont work! Take about 10 minutes of

archer shooting at me, and have no result, not even 1 of 100 points at the belt.

Did i do something wrong?

It unlocks fine on my end, possibly try a different form of ranged damage other than bow fire (e.g. spell damage).

Another 'charming' detail: if you're using Hat with Belt or Forgemaster gloves, Firebrand summoning also might trigger Confuse on caster.

All and all - funny Hat. Looks like some clever wizard's joke :)

Another 'charming' detail: if you're using Hat with Belt or Forgemaster gloves, Firebrand summoning also might trigger Confuse on caster.

All and all - funny Hat. Looks like some clever wizard's joke :)

Literally any effect used on the character in the hat has a chance to Confuse the caster (whether it's you - in which case the hat eventually makes you immune - or your party).

In all likeliness it's a bug, but possibly they wanted to balance the cost of the hefty mixed attribute bonuses the hat gives. I guess it's a little weird seeing as there's no "cost" for using the rather beastly belt.

I find Confuse a little annoying anyway, as somehow it seems to heal enemies a little when it's used for reasons I'm not sure about. When casting Confuse it's okay as the blanket effect is well worth it as a distraction, but a 10% chance to Confuse an enemy is usually a little more trouble than it's worth.

Even if they don't fix the hat, it's good early game (particularly with something like Hermit's Hat to make your primary buffer immune to Confuse) however maybe it should be sold off towards late game.

• Like 1

Agreed. Now i went to WM (lvl 7 as usually) and Confuse triggers on everything - most annoying it'a Palleggina's Vielo Vidorio trigger - in tough fights this random Confuse of my main tank makes even simple encounters emm... complicated. Not sure i'll want using this Hat futher. Good for soloing anyway.

Edited by Phenomenum

On another side: Belt + Forgemaster gloves is killing mashine for Barbarian or Rogue. Even without Deathblows rogue crits deals 100-120 dmg, with Deathblows it will be 150+ and 6 uses per rest + decent attribute bonuses... Just WOW! :)

• Like 2

I just tested the firing speed of the arbalest on my Dwarf chanter with 2 dex, using my chants for timing, attacking out-of-range spores. It has exactly the same overall time between bolts fully upgraded and unbound. I'm pretty certain that's a bug. Regardless of the semantics of the tooltip, I would expect a full-upgraded soul-bound weapon to offer more than just Superb and two CC procs, which makes me think the intent was 50% faster firing, overall.

• Like 1

Would the new items make solo rogue run a bit more easier/more fun? :) mainly thinking about the hat and belt/firebrand. How would you guys build one? It´s been a while since I played Pillars and can´t remember all the mechanics.. mind is full of divinity original sin 2 :D

Would the new items make solo rogue run a bit more easier/more fun? :) mainly thinking about the hat and belt/firebrand. How would you guys build one? It´s been a while since I played Pillars and can´t remember all the mechanics.. mind is full of divinity original sin 2 :D

I doubt it, I think a solo Rogue will struggle quite a lot by not going defensive or at least overly stealthy. Rogues have no real innate CC, thin defences and low health so I think they're best built as tank characters with higher damage than your average tank for solo rather than going for high damage. On most solo builds, it's also hard end game to not justify the use of Looped Rope.

I am PotD soloing Rogue ‘Pirate’ Build right now. Just reached level 11. Using the three new armors, switching depending on encounter. Using Fulvanos BB to open, both the Sabre and Club as a dual wield but switching to Firebrand when necessary. The build is beastly so far. Complete the endless paths except for the Adra Dragon. Entering WM now. No encounter gave me real trouble. With deathblows, Savage Attack, Reckless Assualt, wiping everything.

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

I am PotD soloing Rogue ‘Pirate’ Build right now. Just reached level 11. Using the three new armors, switching depending on encounter. Using Fulvanos BB to open, both the Sabre and Club as a dual wield but switching to Firebrand when necessary. The build is beastly so far. Complete the endless paths except for the Adra Dragon. Entering WM now. No encounter gave me real trouble. With deathblows, Savage Attack, Reckless Assualt, wiping everything.

Great! Would you like to post your starting build? Id like to try it out