Although they are powerful, the devs did a great job of making choices hard. Lots of stats on the items but none of them have +4 to an item so it makes you give up something.

The armor is super good imo, and I'm going to make a build to use it, but its risky. Do you want tons of deflection and resist, but risk the super low DR?

Major give and take with the Deadfire stuff.

Although they are powerful, the devs did a great job of making choices hard. Lots of stats on the items but none of them have +4 to an item so it makes you give up something.

The armor is super good imo, and I'm going to make a build to use it, but its risky. Do you want tons of deflection and resist, but risk the super low DR?

Major give and take with the Deadfire stuff.

Yeah.. i rather have the DR than the deflection. But those armor definitely good for my squishy ranger and the recovery. But if it performs bad, i rather switching it back to Wayfarer's Hide.

For the armor it seems on any tank build it becomes massively superior late game to give you sky high defences, however early game you can stick to plate and only use the pirate robes when one particular defence is being hard pummelled. I will say with the Helmsman's pirate gear my Barb achieved 100 Fort defence against Stun before Caed Nua (high Con and Might, Frenzy, Coastal Aumaua, etc.) and yet unless I was facing a single Phantom they would still Stun-lock and kill me - despite having a defence about 40 higher than their attack  :getlost:

I'll also add that the Belt of the Royal Cannoneer is pretty great on a Barb. Outside of the obvious that's been mentioned (Firebrand that you use Gauntlets of Swift Action with), +3 Might, +3 Dex and +2 Int are exactly what a Barb wants - meaning if you're not bothered about the highest possible stats or Looped Rope it's a fantastic way to save equipment slots. Flame Shield activates on Crit which works great with a Barb's sucky Deflection - dealing 10-15 fire damage on hit to enemies (which is further boosted by strength, and stacks with other forms of Retaliation as far as I'm aware, such as Barbaric Retaliation). Torrent of Flame is a great nuke, and if you have Blood Thirst (no recovery on next attack after a kill) you can instantly cast it after the standard chain of Dragon Leap, HoF and Barbaric Blows. All in all, it's very good.

Edited by Jojobobo

Does anyone know if any of the new soulbound items give different benefits to different classes as they unlock, like some of the other soulbound items do?

I've unlocked the first few levels on a couple of different classes, and they don't appear to.

Most disquieting part - it' a hat, with requirement of drinks.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if any of the new soulbound items give different benefits to different classes as they unlock, like some of the other soulbound items do?

I've unlocked the first few levels on a couple of different classes, and they don't appear to.

Most disquieting part - it' a hat, with requirement of drinks.

The drinks helmet of Eora, I guess.

Did i need 20 resolve for the hat?

If you mean "do" you need it, then to fully unlock it, yes.

Possible (sizeable or easily stackable) sources for Resolve are:

+ 3 (Dragon Meat)

+ 3 (Chapel resting bonus)

+ 3 (Ring of Changing Heart)

+ 4 (Siegebreaker Gauntlets)

+ 3 (Gyrd Háewanes Sténes)

+ 1 (Steadfast)

+ 2 (Big Durmsey’s boon)

Individual boosts from weapons, armor, a resting bonus, a prostitutes boon and food will all stack with one another (as per usual, bonuses from two pieces of armor will suppress one another).

Edited by Jojobobo

No, to clarify, you can have one of each category:

Food

+ 3 (Dragon Meat)

Resting Bonus

+ 3 (Chapel resting bonus)

Equipment

+ 3 (Ring of Changing Heart)

Or...

+ 4 (Siegebreaker Gauntlets)

Weapon

+ 3 (Gyrd Háewanes Sténes) - only bindable to some classes

Or...

+ 1 (Steadfast)

Prostitute boon

+ 2 (Big Durmsey’s boon)

So that's a +15 bonus for some classes, or +13 for others. So you'd need either a base 5 or base 7 Resolve, depending. Some classes have access to extra boosts through spells (+8 Resolve from Minor Avatar for a Priest, +5 from The Brideman... for a Chanter) - but they don't stack with food so remember to remove the food bonus if using one of those spells to hit 20. I think there are a few more pieces of +3 Resolve gear, and definitely some +2s, but Ring of Changing Heart is pretty accessible anyway so I didn't bother to mention them. Other food also has a +3 bonus, but the Dragon Meat itself is the cheapest.

Edited by Jojobobo
  • Like 2

For people curious, players don't have to drink in The Gref's Rest in Stalwart Village nor in The Wailing Banshee in Ondra's Gift to get the last level of the Company Captain's Hat unlocked. Even if you have the White March installed or finished the quest revolving around The Wailing Banshee.

I tested by drinking both Ale and Beer, and they both unlocked the Captain's Hat, so I presume Mead would work as well.

For ease of use, here are the six places you have to have a drink.

Black Hound Inn (Gilded Vale)

Goose and Fox (Copperlane)

The Charred Barrel (Brackenbury)

The Salty Mast (Ondra's Gift)

Dracogen Inn (Dyrford Village)

The Celestial Sapling (Heartsong)

Near as I can tell, you don't actually have to be at/near the bar as well.  Just be somewhere on the level map.

This also means this soulbound item can't be fully unlocked until Act III at the earliest.

• Like 3

However the arbalest has 50% reload penalty which IMO was not intended (because it's worse than Aedrin's Wrecker). 

I first thought it might be a bug as well, but I just finished upgrading it manually, and I'm not so sure now.

First tier: +15% chance to cast prone on hit/critical, +4 acc, +15% damage

Second tier: +15% chance to cast prone on hit/critical, +8 acc, +30% damage

Third tier: +15% chance to cast prone on hit/critical, +15% chance to cast stun on hit/critical, +8 acc, +30% damage

Fourth tier: +15% chance to cast prone on hit/critical, +15% chance to cast stun on hit/critical, +8 acc, +30% damage +25% attack speed, -25% reload speed

Fifth tier: +15% chance to cast prone on hit/critical, +15% chance to cast stun on hit/critical, +12 acc, +45% damage +50% attack speed, -50% reload speed

The fact that the fourth tier is ALSO a trade-off of Attack Speed and Reload Speed makes me think that this might be Working as Intended.

Could be wrong though.  Maybe I'll make a thread in the bug section and see if Obsidian has anything to say about this. 

(As an aside, I now have manually unlocked all four of the new Soulbound weapons.  I'll post their full upgrade path and requirements later tonight in another post when I have time to write it all up)

As promised, the benefits and upgrade requirements for each level of the new Soulbound items for the Deadfire DLC.  I put them in spoiler bars so it wouldn't take up a lot of screen space.

War Club of the Mataru:

Binds to: Barbarian, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Priest, Rogue

Level 1: +4 Accuracy | +15% Damage (Fine)
         10% chance to cast Hobble on hit or crit
         Cause Hobble 10 times to unlock Level 2.

Level 2: +8 Accuracy | +30% Damage (Exceptional)
         10% chance to cast Hobble on hit or crit
         Deal 700 points of Damage to unlock Level 3

Level 3: +8 Accuracy | +30% Damage (Exceptional)
         10% chance to Hobble on hit or crit
         10% chance to cast weaken on hit or crit
         Cause Weaken 20 times to unlock Level 4

Level 4: +15 Accuracy | +15% Damage (Accurate 4) 
         Deal 300 points of Damage via critical hits to unlock level 5

Level 5: +21 Accuracy | + 30% Damage (Accurate 6)

One-Eyed Molina's Gold-Fingered Spike-Flinger:

Binds to: Chanter, Cipher, Druid, Ranger, Wizard

Level 1: +4 Accuracy | +15% Damage (Fine)
         15% chance to cast Prone on hit or crit
         Cause Prone 10 times to unlock Level 2

Level 2: +8 Accuracy | +30% Damage (Exceptional)
         Deal 700 points of Damage to unlock Level 3

Level 3: +8 Accuracy | +30% Damage (Exceptional)
         15% chance to cast Stun on hit or crit
         Cause Stun 25 times to unlock Level 4

Level 4: +8 Accuracy | +30% Damage (Exceptional)
         +25% Attack Speed, -25% Reload Speed
         Deal 600 points of Damage to unlock Level 5

Level 5: +12 Accuracy | +45% Damage (Superb)
         +50% Attack Speed, -50% Reload Speed

Belt of the Royal Deadfire Cannoneer

Binds to: All Classes

Level 1: Grant Firebrand (3 per rest)
         Take 100 points of damage from ranged enemies to unlock Level 2

Level 2: Grant Firebrand (3 per rest)
         Grant Flame Shield when hit by a crit (1 per encounter)
         Take 200 points of damage from melee enemies to unlock Level 3

Level 3: Grant Firebrand (3 per rest)
         Grant Torrent of Flame (1 per rest)
         Deal 500 points of damage to enemies to unlock Level 4

Level 4: Grant Firebrand (3 per rest)
         +2 Might
         Deal 500 points of Burn damage to enemies to unlock Level 5

Level 5: Grant Firebrand (3 per rest)
         +3 Might
         +3 Dexterity
         +2 Intellect

Company Captain's Cap

Binds to: All Classes

Level 1: +1 Resolve
         +1 Dexterity
         Take 300 points of Damage to unlock Level 2

Level 2: +1 Resolve
         +1 Dexterity
         10% chance to cast Confuse when hit or crit by someone
         Cause Confusion 15 times to unlock Level 3

Level 3: +1 Resolve
         +1 Dexterity
         Immunity to Confused, Daze
         Have a Resolve of 20 to unlock Level 4

Level 4: +3 Resolve
         +2 Dexterity
         Have a drink* at each of the following inns to unlock Level 5:
              Black Hound Inn (Gilded Vale)
              Goose and Fox (Copperlane)
              The Charred Barrel (Brackenbury)
              The Salty Mast (Ondra's Gift)
              Dracogen Inn (Dyrford Village)
              The Celestial Sapling (Heartsong)

Level 5: +3 Resolve
         +2 Dexterity
         +2 Constitution
         Immunity to Charmed, Dominated

* NOTE:  All of the following drinks unlocked Level 5 of the Company Captain's Cap during my testing:
     Ale
     Beer
     Mead      
     Milk
     Spirits

Other drinks may work as well. None of these drinks need to be bought at the tavern in question.  A drink already in the party's inventory will suffice to meet this requiremnt.

Also it is not necessary to go to The Gref's Rest in Stalwart Village nor The Wailing Banshee in Ondra's Gift to unlock the last level of the Company Captain's Cap.

========

One interesting thing I noticed is that the second level of the Company Captain's Cap and the third level of the Belt of the Royal Deadfire Cannoneer can be unlocked nearly simultaneously if they are on the same character, with a little bit of work. What one has to do is track down something that delivers ranged damage, take 100 points or so from them, unlocking the second level of the belt.  Then track down any ol' melee combatants and get the next 200 points of damage to unlock the third level of the belt and the second level of the cap.  

The cap will almost certainly unlock first simply because it'll be really hard to stop the damage at exactly 100 points.  But there shouldn't be too much overlap with careful planning. 

Edited by Zap Gun For Hire
  • Like 3

Thanks for giving the breakdown, I presume none of the upgrades are class-specific (different for a different class, or requiring different criteria)? I haven't seen any evidence that they were in my own testing, but that wasn't very rigorous.

I love the idea of running around drinking milk to unlock the Company Captain's Cap.

Edited by Jojobobo
  • Like 1

Can't understand all those complains about Spike-Finger reload speed. Give that thing to ranger with Swift Aim and still have +70% attack speed and 0% reload speed penalty. Can't see any problems here - considering superb quality and 30% chance to cast prohe or stun on hit/crit, it'a a pretty fair tradeoff.

Can't understand all those complains about Spike-Finger reload speed. Give that thing to ranger with Swift Aim and still have +70% attack speed and 0% reload speed penalty. Can't see any problems here - considering superb quality and 30% chance to cast prohe or stun on hit/crit, it'a a pretty fair tradeoff.

That makes the weapon only really usable by a Ranger though, which shouldn't be the case.

I'm all for the idea of "it's so powerful that it can Stun and Prone people, therefore it takes a long time to reload", but if the devs were really trying to play that angle the decreased reload speed should have coincided with the Stun and Prone chance. In this way the level 3 weapon unlock is actually better than the level 5, which is fundamentally counterintuitive, and therefore likely an oversight (extremely weird seeing as the got the +50% attack speed working just fine, you'd think they wouldn't make the mistake to throw in a minus in front of the reload speed).

Edited by Jojobobo