Unavailable for the Linux platform?

cmcallister

​+1.  I just added the beta to my pledge (GOG), but it only offers downloads for Windows and OSX, neither of which I can use.​

​Hopefully we'll see a Linux version soon.  Looks nice in the teaser video!

​Edit: typos

Edited by demeisen

The first beta wasn't available for Linux, but I'm unsure.  I remember hearing this beta would be the same.  I haven't had much time to keep up here for the past few months with work and all.  So, I could be wrong.

​Here's hoping this one will be ;(.  I'd not have sprung for it if I wouldn't be able to run it.  (Already backed PoE2 at, in the words of another player, "an irresponsible level", so I was stretching a little to provide early input).

​OTOH, I didn't see the backer portal mention any platform limitations when I ordered the beta, so I'm keeping my hopes up for the moment.  Maybe Obsidian will chime in and let us know either way.

Hey (you bunch of forgiving gamers)

We currently have no plans on releasing the Backer Beta outside of PC Windows (Steam, and GoG). The final release of PoE 2 will be supported on PC Windows, Linux, and Mac.

Sorry to all Mac & Linux users

- SKing

[EDIT] If you backed expecting there to be, we apologize this wasn't more clear. You can definitely hit up (Obsidian Support) and you can receive a refund in regards to this.

• Like 4

​​

We currently have no plans on releasing the Backer Beta outside of PC (Steam, and GoG). The final release of PoE 2 will be supported on PC, Linux, and Mac.

​Thanks for the update, Sking.  One suggestion: I think the language above might be part of the confusion.  Linux is a PC operating system (as opposed to say for game consoles or what have you), and runs on the same PC hardware Windows does.  I might have read "supported on PC" in the past, and knowing that the POE1 release supported Linux, assumed that the POE2 beta would as well.

​I'd suggest something more like, "... Beta supported on Windows only, available on Steam and GOG..."  That removes the ambiguity about which PC OS's are supported.

​Anyway, I'll probably leave my pledge alone, just so I can chime in on the discussion after watching youtube videos or whatever about the beta.  Also, I'm willing to toss some extra $ to Ob for making more games in the POE universe.  Still... grumble. :)

• Like 4

Well, this is disappointing.  I really should stop pledging for beta and alpha access to games, this happens far too often.  At least here I have faith that Obsidian isn't just going to turn around and say "sorry, Linux too hard" like so many others have done in the past.

• Like 1

Well $35 for early bid, $20 for beta-keys which do not work and $20 for all DLCs.

That's $75 for game that is not yet finished without any guarantee. Compare that to other games on market and their prices.

Will the backer's price be higher than when product is ready ?

I don't want to judge how hard dev team is working, but perhaps, Obsidian should at least consider revising their spendings for some reason this game is getting very expensive. Or tell backers which part of game took most of their funds, that would justify the cost.

I think we should not be less critical because PoE1 or Tyranny (except Bastard's Wound) was so good.

​​

We currently have no plans on releasing the Backer Beta outside of PC (Steam, and GoG). The final release of PoE 2 will be supported on PC, Linux, and Mac.

​Thanks for the update, Sking. One suggestion: I think the language above might be part of the confusion. Linux is a PC operating system (as opposed to say for game consoles or what have you), and runs on the same PC hardware Windows does. I might have read "supported on PC" in the past, and knowing that the POE1 release supported Linux, assumed that the POE2 beta would as well.

That's exactly what I did. Some disappointment, but no hard feelings . . . I think I'll be asking for that refund though Edited by tmoji

Well $35 for early bid, $20 for beta-keys which do not work and $20 for all DLCs.

That's $75 for game that is not yet finished without any guarantee. Compare that to other games on market and their prices.

Will the backer's price be higher than when product is ready ?

I don't want to judge how hard dev team is working, but perhaps, Obsidian should at least consider revising their spendings for some reason this game is getting very expensive. Or tell backers which part of game took most of their funds, that would justify the cost.

I think we should not be less critical because PoE1 or Tyranny (except Bastard's Wound) was so good.

You're comparing apples and oranges.

The base game's price is $35, not $75.

Getting beta access (which I did) and the early season pass (which I did as well) are options :)

Besides, it is my own personal opinion that I'd much rather give $75 Obsidian's way, than say $35 EA's or Ubisoft's.

Matter of fact, Ubisoft titles have been banned from my purchasing lists since the Watch Dogs massacre (hello E3 graphics, hello at-release graphics, much difference aye ?).

I bought Windows 10 just for this beta and set up a dual boot system (think about that ;)). But if you could make it happen so that the beta also runs on Linux I would appreciate it a lot. I don't like to use Windows because I'm not used to it. And having to reboot every time I don't want to play but to do some work (all my development tools are on my Linux system) is annoying as well.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

So I contacted support about a refund for the backer beta and was told that the intention is for the beta to eventually be available on all platforms. Could Sking or someone confirm and give a rough timeline if true?

I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but that'd be awesome, if true.  I'm not nearly as dedicated as Boeroer to install a whole Windows OS just to get to the beta...  Win10 falls right around "anesthetic-free dental fillings" on my list of enjoyable activities  :biggrin:

​BTW, has anyone tried running it under Wine?  Even if it didn't run particularly well, that might be a temporary solution.

So I contacted support about a refund for the backer beta and was told that the intention is for the beta to eventually be available on all platforms. Could Sking or someone confirm and give a rough timeline if true?

I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but that'd be awesome, if true.  I'm not nearly as dedicated as Boeroer to install a whole Windows OS just to get to the beta...  Win10 falls right around "anesthetic-free dental fillings" on my list of enjoyable activities  :biggrin:

​BTW, has anyone tried running it under Wine?  Even if it didn't run particularly well, that might be a temporary solution.

I gave it a quick go, but it needs 64 bit WINE which turns out to be a bit of a headache and didn't pursue further.

I gave it a quick go, but it needs 64 bit WINE which turns out to be a bit of a headache and didn't pursue further.

​Makes sense.  I think I have wine64 installed, but no idea if it's configured reasonably or could run it, and I don't quite have the motivation to mess with it.

​Makes sense.  I think I have wine64 installed, but no idea if it's configured reasonably or could run it, and I don't quite have the motivation to mess with it.

Had some time yesterday. On Ubuntu/Mint LTS base the repo wine64 wouldn't install Steam, but with Wine from Wine Project repos had no trouble installing Steam and running with wine64. However graphics are bizarrely dark (Wine related 99% sure).

• 4 weeks later...