so not sure if its by design or they are not really finished but neither the base ranger or any subs have useable melee abilities. Super disapointed considering it was specifically mentioned that general rangers would be melee capable and that even a subclass would be focused on it. All not true in the beta at least.

There is a thread i think talks about the real issue in general. I wonder if this is due to multiclassing and the need to be pragmatic about testing and balancing, now single classes have to suffer because if you want certain functions the game is telling you, you have to multiclass. In one since this feels like they went back on the design philosophy of viable character builds that you come up with. So it seems now if you come up with a character concept you have to find the class to match instead of POE1 where if you like the class lore and abilities you could morph them into different roles and different concepts. But i do get that multiclassing was meant to fix this issue. This is also why i dont really like multiclassing because it feel forced now and the one class i am really worried about multiclassing is ranger due to animal maybe not being strong enough later in game but that can be balanced also. I am sure i will prob find it fun. it just odd. it did look like there was a lot of animal abilities in the twitch stream i saw and we also dont see the high level abilities so there are those left also

Edited by draego

so not sure if its by design or they are not really finished but neither the base ranger or any subs have useable melee abilities. Super disapointed considering it was specifically mentioned that general rangers would be melee capable and that even a subclass would be focused on it. All not true in the beta at least.

There is a thread i think talks about the real issue in general. I wonder if this is due to multiclassing and the need to be pragmatic about testing and balancing, now single classes have to suffer because if you want certain functions the game is telling you, you have to multiclass. In one since this feels like they went back on the design philosophy of viable character builds that you come up with. So it seems now if you come up with a character concept you have to find the class to match instead of POE1 where if you like the class lore and abilities you could morph them into different roles and different concepts. But i do get that multiclassing was meant to fix this issue. This is also why i dont really like multiclassing because it feel forced now and the one class i am really worried about multiclassing is ranger due to animal maybe not being strong enough later in game but that can be balanced also. I am sure i will prob find it fun. it just odd. it did look like there was a lot of animal abilities in the twitch stream i saw and we also dont see the high level abilities so there are those left also

The problem for me being that ranger brings literally nothing to a melee build worth taking at this point... so no reason to ever multiclass it that way.

The problem for me being that ranger brings literally nothing to a melee build worth taking at this point... so no reason to ever multiclass it that way.

ye but when you multi class you can pick 20 abilities from one class and i think 7 from one at level 20. So you could get most talents from melee class and then 7 for animal or something from ranger. At this point i get it wouldnt be a ranger and I am not saying i like this because it seem weird and i wanted a single class ranger especially for the animal power level to be max but i think this is how they meant for players to change up build concepts.

Edited by draego

So Tanking iS even Worse that is hard to wrap your head around lol

For all we know (until someone in the beta tells us) engagement is fighter and paladin only and is an instant kill if broken.

True Alll I am saying is tanky was hard enough at higher difficulties...having to always put ur back to the wall or have your tanks block the door was tiring or otherwise the mobs went straight into the back line. 

so.... no universal talents apparently

and no passives for priests.

My battlecleric seems less possible now

You still have access to all the weapons proficiency (where most modals used to be universal talent in POE1), all 3 shields have defensive modals and base accuracy is the same for all.

You can still make a battlecleric, is it going to hit harder than a Fighter/Rogue without using a buff, no, but it didn't in POE1 either because their accuracy sucked.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Interesting changes for Island Aumaua, Boreal Dwarfs, Wood Elves and Wild Orlans.

Boreal Dwarfs and Wood Elves were perhaps the default DPS picks due to the strength of Accuracy in Pillars so I can understand why that change was made, and similarly for Wild Orlans and tanking. The change to Island Aumaua is a shame though. Obviously their racial was powerful for multi gun builds but other than that I don't think it was too powerful.

Also yeah, Wellspring of Life looks like it could be pretty good now, which is nice.

Edited by JerekKruger

I took a screenshot of every single racial in the beta. Here's an album of them:

https://imgur.com/a/A0AzI

Thanks you a lot Alhoon!

Few thoughts on these racials:

- "Resistance to X Afflictions" looks super vague. Is it +10 to defenses? +20? +100? Or perhaps it's -x seconds to their duration?

- "Can Graze, Can Graze" - no comment...

- "Immunity to Slog Zone attacks" - no comment...

- "Resistance to Dexterity Afflictions" - there are 6 stats, so this helps vs 1/6 of stat related afflictions. Feels useless for a ranged cc/dps character. Really hope it will be possible to import a PoE1 save but change the race, as all my MCs were wood elves...

- "Fighting Spirit" seems to be nerfed. It had a 20s proc before, now it seems to be passive. And my characters are above 50% endurance most of the time.

- "Minor Threat": I would heavily prefer "5% of hits converted to crits; and extra x% more if attacking the enemy which is already threatened by a teammate"

Godlikes:

- Death Godlike: remains underpowered as in practice the bonus damage will translate into less than +5% overall. As for +3 bonus to power level, I doubt I will be consistently lingering around "Near Death".

- Fire Godlikes: feel underpowered. They have less AR vs burn than pale elves. Ant it feels strange. Plus the Battle Forged damage is too low, and description doesn't mention that it is scaling.

- Moon Godlike: The Silver Tide heal seems to get nerfed...unless screenshot was made using a level 1 character @10 MIG. But being able to reliably trigger +2 to power level via Wellspring of Life is nice.

- Nature Godlike: missing. As pointed by JerekKruger Wellspring of Life is related to Nature Godlike. Have to wait for their second racial to be revealed.

Edited by MaxQuest

so.... no universal talents apparently

and no passives for priests.

My battlecleric seems less possible now

You still have access to all the weapons proficiency (where most modals used to be universal talent in POE1), all 3 shields have defensive modals and base accuracy is the same for all.

You can still make a battlecleric, is it going to hit harder than a Fighter/Rogue without using a buff, no, but it didn't in POE1 either because their accuracy sucked.

Ι used to take weapon and shield and the deity weapon talent in my Priest coupled with aggrandizing radiance.

let's see if the options in POE2 will allow something similar.

we're still in beta so I'm just waiting :)

Wellspring of Life is the Nature Godlike's racial.

Oh. Thanks for pointing it out.

This means Moon and Nature godlikes don't have their second racial defined yet?

• Like 1

I sure hope all the lack of seeming scaling or lack of scaling in the descriptions is just temporary. I can't think of very many reasons you'd ever want something to NOT scale with your power.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Does anyone know how the Conjurer Wizard Familiars will work? Are you able to choose what kind of familiar you have? What can it do?

Currently summon familiar is a spell, only usable in combat, that summons a random familiar that can fight and gives its Wizard a buff. I am not sure whether it despawns after combat as I lost the combat I tested it in, but I'd assume it does. The buff I got was +3 Burn damage resist (or whatever the new name for damage resist is) which seems rather lacklustre, though I haven't played enough to really judge. At the moment I don't think the ability is particularly good.

Does anyone know how the Conjurer Wizard Familiars will work? Are you able to choose what kind of familiar you have? What can it do?

Currently summon familiar is a spell, only usable in combat, that summons a random familiar that can fight and gives its Wizard a buff. I am not sure whether it despawns after combat as I lost the combat I tested it in, but I'd assume it does. The buff I got was +3 Burn damage resist (or whatever the new name for damage resist is) which seems rather lacklustre, though I haven't played enough to really judge. At the moment I don't think the ability is particularly good.

That sounds woefully lackluster.

I was also hoping to be able to choose a familiar a la Ranger pets. Just getting a random one every time you summon it, seems way too unreliable.

So racial stat bonuses are gone? No more choosing your race to get a bump to your primary stat(s)?

They are still there. What gave you the idea they were gone?

Alhoon said he posted every single racial, but they weren't included.

I'm not mad or calling him out or anything; I think it's awesome what he did. Just answering your question.

He only listed the racial powers/abilities. These aren't in the character creator UI.  The stats bonuses didn't change from POE1 and visible when you created a character.

Edited by morhilane

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

So racial stat bonuses are gone? No more choosing your race to get a bump to your primary stat(s)?

They are still there. What gave you the idea they were gone?

Alhoon said he posted every single racial, but they weren't included.

I'm not mad or calling him out or anything; I think it's awesome what he did. Just answering your question.

He only listed the racial powers/abilities. These aren't in the character creator UI.  The stats bonuses didn't change from POE1 and visible when you created a character.

Thank you for clarifying.

Seems crap for a keystone ability.

No joke. For something a subclass is based around it's *incredibly* bad.

It should really provide a weak critter you choose the power of at chargen, but only provides a bonus when it's near you. Then you're playing the risk/reward game of keeping it close enough to provide the bonus but not too close that it gets targetted/AoEd. Then if it dies you can only resummon it with a long cast time. Potentially it dying would need to give you a bonded grief-style debuff for balance.

Edited by CottonWolf