Watching Ellohime's Deadfire Beta stream and taking note of the differences from PoE1 (or even early Q&As), because it's easier to take a glance at textual list than to check the video each time.

- It seems there are no all-class talents now. Some of them were removed, some made it into class trees.

- Weapon Focus made it into barbarian's tree:

DC1eaGH.png

- Bear's Fortitude is now a monk talent.

- Iron Will is now a cipher talent. On the other hand druids and monks get Bull Will, which judging by description is the same thing.

- Quick Switch and Body Control are now fighter specific talents. Being obtainable on Rank (power level) 4.

- TwoHanded, 1H&Shield, TwoWeapon and OneHanded Styles are now fighter specific talents. Rank 1.

- Fighters can now get Stances on rank 2. You select 1 talent and get 3 modals: Defender Stance, Cleaving Stance and Warrior Stance. Self explanatory: the first one is related to tanking, the second is good vs multiple enemies, the third one for 1x1 situations

- Fighter stances can be upgraded separately on rank 5, to: Guardian Stance (bonus engagements), Mob Stance (bonus cleaving) and Conqueror Stance (bonus acc/def) respectively.

Mob Stance is especially interesting:

CZEyccH.png

- Ciphers get a few new passive talents. One of them being:

DDWYF7Z.png

- Chants are referred as Passive Abilities

- Invocations are referred as Active Abilities

- Dragon Trashed requires power level 5 to acquire. (that's character lvl 9 for single class, or ch.level 13 for multi-class)

- Aefyllath requires power level 4 to acquire. (that's character lvl 7 for single class, or ch.level 10 for multi-class)

- Paladins - are still good old fellas we are used to. Their talents now include: Sworn Enemy + 2 upgrades (1 refunds zeal on kill, other unknown), FoD + 1 upgrade, Lay on Hands + 2 upgrades, Zeal Auras (combined, i.e. you can get all 3 for 1 ability point) + 3 separate upgrades. And ofc Liberating + Reinforcing Exhortations. But most interesting is: they get a Glorious beacon ability - that blinds all enemies in vicinity; plus 2 upgrades (Enduring Beacon granting extra deflection to allies; and 2nd unknown). We don't know which defense the Beacon targets, but if it's not Fortitude, it's one of the best Blind sources in the game because it's FoE.

- Monks get a more feasible ability to gain wounds. Instead of Mortification of the Soul they get access to the Dance of Death at rank 2, and it's upgrade The Dance Continues at rank 4:

zIwmF5K.png

- Torment's Reach requires power level 3 to be acquired.

- The Long Pain requires power level 5 to be acquired.

- Rangers don't seem to differ much from their PoE1 implementation.

- Although they get a new escape mechanism: Evasive Roll:

N2ZmX1r.jpg

- Some of wizard spells, divided by school: (mouseovered by Ellohime)

-- Enchanting: Infuse Vitality, Iron Skin, Minor Arcane Reflection, Minor Grimoire Imprint

-- Illusion: Arkemyr's Dazzling

-- Conjuration: Essential Phantom, Maura's Writhing Tentacles, Kalakatoh's Minor Blights, Kalakoth's Sunless Grasp, Wall of Force

-- Transmutation: Dimensional Shift, Form of the Helpless Beast, Ninagauth's Bitter Mooring

-- Evocation: Fan of Flames

- Some of cipher powers, divided by keywords:(mouseovered by Ellohime)

-- Shred: Mind Wave, Detonate

-- Deception: Phantom Foes, Borrowed Instinct, Wild Leech, Mental Binding

-- Echo: Psychovampiric Shield

- Some of priest spells, divided by type: (mouseovered by Ellohime)

-- Condemnation: Repulsing Seal, Despondent Blows, Devotions for the Faithful (also counted as Inspiration), Barbs of Condemnation (also counted as Punishment)

-- Protection: Prayer for the Spirit (grant's Smart Inspiration), Withdrawal, Blessing

-- Inspiration: Holy Meditation, Devotions for the Faithful (also counted as Condemnation)

-- Restoration: Triumph of the Crusaders, Holy Radiance (also counted as Condemnation)

-- Punishment: Barbs of Condemnation (also counted as Condemnation)

- Interdiction (dazing enemies in AoE) is now a rank 1 priest spell. Note: there seem to be no Painful Interdiction!

- Radiance is now a rank 0 priest spell. Note: there is no Inspiring Radiance now.

- Alchemy was changed. It no longer is related to potion and explosive crafting as we expected by earlier Q&As. It now affects the use of all drugs, potions and antidotes. This cuts the possibility to have a dedicated alchemist in party that would create top-notch potions for the whole party.

- For bombs there is a separate skill now: Explosives.

Active skills: ('used' in combat)

- Arcana - increases power level when using scrolls, and defines what level of scrolls you can cast in the first place

- Athletics

- Mechanics - btw, Perception is used for Trap Detection now

- Sleight of Hand - pickpocket and reverse pickpocketing

- Stealth

- Explosives

- Alchemy - affects the use of all drugs, potions and antidotes

Passive skills: (basically conversation skills)

- Bluff

- Diplomacy

- History

- Insight - used to understand underlying emotions and motivations

- Intimidate

- Metaphisics

- Religion

- Streetwise

- Survival - unfortunately Ellohime didn't mouseover this one

P.S. Feel free to add to the list guys, any stuff that you have found interesting about new or modified talents/abilities/spells/and skills.

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 12

Subbing the thread.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Added more stuff, including spell schools for shown wizard and priest spells.

The interesting part is that some priest spells can belong to two types at the same time. Gonna make subclass selection a bit more tricky.

Segregration of talents wouldn't that limit build flexibility? Of course will wait for everyone's feedback as i'm not a backer beta though.

Maybe. Can't say for sure yet. I am not a beta backer as well. So just hoping that testers will post enough general and mech-related information. Edited by MaxQuest

was actually bummed out by the generic rangers tree.

Six previously all-class talents became fighter-exclusive now.

I would expect rangers to get access to Quick Switch as well. Also PoE1 had racial-slaying talents that could fit rangers nicely. (Avenger ability of Sylvan heroes from HOMM5 anyone?)

Meanwhile druid and wizard could get access to elemental talents. For example I haven't noticed Scion of Flame, Heart of the Storm, Spirit of Decay and Secrets of Rime anywhere. It would be a pity if they were just... removed.

Edited by MaxQuest

was actually bummed out by the generic rangers tree.

Six previously all-class talents became fighter-exclusive now.

I would expect rangers to get access to Quick Switch as well. Also PoE1 had racial-slaying talents that could fit rangers nicely. (Avenger ability of Sylvan heroes from HOMM5 anyone?)

Meanwhile druid and wizard could get access to elemental talents. For example I haven't noticed Scion of Flame, Heart of the Storm, Spirit of Decay and Secrets of Rime anywhere. It would be a pity if they were just... removed.

They only show up to level 5 for beta. So maybe most rangers new stuff is above 5. All the rangers modals got put onto weapons so was surprised that it didnt look like any of them got replaced. Edited by DigitalCrack

They only show up to level 5 for beta. So maybe most rangers new stuff is above 5. All the rangers modals got put onto weapons so was surprised that it didnt look like any of them got replaced.

Definitely there will be some new stuff above rank 5.

But there also must be some incentive to multi-class into pure ranger. And we already see the talents that are available to x/ranger up to character level 15.

I really hope that Twinned Arrows become available at least at rank 6. Or if there is an interaction between Wounding/Hobbling Shot and Kalakot's Minor Blights AoE.

Edited by MaxQuest

Josh was pretty hyped by Wounding Shot. Maybe they tweaked the ranger stuff a little bit so that there was no need for completely new stuff.

I'll report how it goes. ;)

I guess I will post some beta builds in the build section after some days with the beta. I want to try out at least 5 combos that I have in mind and see if they break the game or not. Hopefully the console commands didn't change...

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I am a little bummed with the lack of universal abilities. It was one of the things that made classes versatile. Like making an off tank wizard. I get that most of that was the great buff spells but some of that was just straight defensive talents you could take. I suppose they expect you to multiclass to achieve this stuff now so maybe its ok but would be still nice give more flexibility to single class builds  that was a bright spot for POE1

Edited by draego

Josh was pretty hyped by Wounding Shot. Maybe they tweaked the ranger stuff a little bit so that there was no need for completely new stuff.

Yeap, noticed that in the transcript.

Have a feeling that he's a bit exaggerating though :)

Sure ranger can now fire more than 2 Wounding Shots (but same thing is with FoD, Knockdown and Barbaric Blow). Plus you need to invest an extra ability point for it to Hobble now.

I'll report how it goes. ;)

Curious how it works with carnage, dual ranged weapons, blast, aoe weapons (e.g. kalakoth's minor blights) :)

I guess I will post some beta builds in the build section after some days with the beta. I want to try out at least 5 combos that I have in mind and see if they break the game or not. Hopefully the console commands didn't change...

That'd be great)

Geez, have so many questions...

Edited by MaxQuest

I am a little bummed with the lack of universal abilities. It was one of the things that make classes versatile. Like making an off tank wizard. I get that most of that was the great buff spells but some of that was just straight defensive talents you could take. I suppose they expect you to multiclass to achieve this stuff now so maybe its ok but would be still nice give more flexibility to single class builds  that was a bright spot for POE1

I know a few persons who complained that POE1 classes were all the same because of that "flexibility".

Deafire will simply push your to use more your class abilities. So an "off-tank wizard" will have to use its defensive spells more instead of fallback on passives and pretend to be a fighter.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Yes, some classes' ability trees are a bit too close to the first game to my liking.

I'm pretty sure that was the point...

The ability selection of fighters, rangers, barbarians, rogues and paladins in PoE 1 was pretty dreary, and I hoped Deadfire would upgrade it. Which it seems to be doing, but not as much as I'd like.

so not sure if its by design or they are not really finished but neither the base ranger or any subs have useable melee abilities. Super disapointed considering it was specifically mentioned that general rangers would be melee capable and that even a subclass would be focused on it. All not true in the beta at least.

Edit: for example Wounding Shot is ranged only (was useable in melee PoE1) all the active abilities that aren't a pet active are ranged only.  Good portion of the passives are ranged only.  At this point I am hoping the class and subs are unfinished.

Edited by DigitalCrack