Steam or gog

Melusina

I kind of use both:

sometimes I get better discount on gog or steam, sometimes I miss great discount on gog, and steam offers their customers another discount

steam gets more games, but gog gives lots of free games from time to time

I own more games on gog than on steam, so even if gog stop giving giveaways, I would still use gog because there's nwn&nwn2 on gog, which I brought and I nwn big fan (nw multiplayer is not my thing)

Gog offers free wallet founds, I bought whole game using only wallet founds, that's like here - you brought this game, we are giving your a discount because of that

steam has mobile application - I brought d:os2 in the middle of the night using this application. I always do bad decision during the night. Back then, dos2 was cheaper on gog.

steam has better achievements, I just turn trading cards into gems and never ever use any of them

steam has better, more crowded forums - steam community

You?

I use both and also Origin but Steam offers a bit of a better experience thsn either or. For example, I always have access to Steam and the Steam community through the phone app.

The community market also steps things up a bit.

If you're an older gamer, or into older games, GoG will probably be better for you for nostalgic purposes though.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Both, but I'm far more invested in Steam.

I prefer GoG from a point of principle but I just still tend to use steam... example I have PoE_WM1/2 on steam. I also have The Witcher games on steam.

GoG I really only used for really old classics, but I might start switching over that they have a nice client.

Plus GoG Galaxy isn't on linux, so I just have a tendency to fall back to steam.

I have a friend who lives in India, he says that AAA titles are actually cheaper than indie games there so has basically every and any AAA title on Steam and barely any indie games. Quite the opposite of us Americans and Europeans lol

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

GOG exclusively, because of their no-DRM policy, and because they invest time to make older games compatible with newest OS. I am still physical release enthusiast, but I think, I have already more games on GOG, than physical discs.

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

GOG exclusively, because of their no-DRM policy, and because they invest time to make older games compatible with newest OS. I am still physical release enthusiast, but I think, I have already more games on GOG, than physical discs.

I already do. It used to be close for a while but now I'm sitting at almost 500 games on GOG and no time to play them all. -_-

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

If I can get it via GoG, I will.

Steam for titles I can't get on GoG.

Not that I use either much at all, lately, but that's the order of things for me. And I probably still won't go for any other digital platform, unless these two both go under or stop being useful for my limited gaming needs.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Usually I go Humble direct download over GOG over Steam. I don't actually buy anything direct from Steam - for Steamworks games I'll buy a Steam key from the cheapest store listed on IsThereAnyDeal.com.

Humble is there because they take a smaller cut of the sales, so it's better for the developers (and charities). I'm not sure what the exact cut is these days though, and how IGN's buyout will affect it. Sadly they're selling precious few DRM-free titles these days anyway, even for titles which are available DRM-free on other platforms.

GOG is there because of its relative simplicity. Galaxy is not a plus though. The only issue I tend to encounter is slower patching, some of it due to GOG's manual vetting procedure, other times due to developer complacency. (Death Road to Canada took 2-3 months to catch their GOG build up)

Steam is last because its advantages are generally those that I don't value, and because I dislike the way they try to push their brand with the insidious always-on model. I make zero use out of the social functionality. Achievements actually have negative value for me, I would rather they not exist at all because they promote unfun gameplay. The other knick-knacks like in home streaming might have value, but I haven't found a practical use for them yet. The one title I want to use family sharing for doesn't work despite extensive troubleshooting.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

GOG is great - simple platform, no frills, lots of good games. Obviously it doesn't have everything & it has weaknesses (re. patching), both of which are remedied by Steam. 

Steam's not too bad these days, Offline Mode actually works now & it's easy to ignore the stupid achievements and all the other pointless, annoying nonsense. 

Same here, basically. Though my GOG library is nearing my physical collection and haven't overtaken it. Yet. Not counting the physical copies that I've made of the GOG games then ofcourse.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

If it's on GOG, I'll get it there. I have a bunch of Steam games (going back to HL2...) but I don't remember ever buying any from there.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I prefer to get it off GOG if possible and depending on price, nice and simple to use.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

GOG, almost exclusively... I have used Humble in the past; and sometimes that gave Steam keys. I don't like having Steam installed, it's essentially nanny-ware. For years I had to have it to use the New Vegas CE, and Bloodlines, but now that GOG sells both, so that's no longer the case.

**Now I just wish GOG would get Disciples 3 and its expansion titles into their library, so I won't need Steam at all.

Edited by Gizmo

If it’s on GOG, it’ll not enter my Steam catalogue (or be used if it is there already). I only use Steam for bigger new releases that are not going to enter GOG in some time (if at all), but those are extremely rare cases these days.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I use Steam, GoG and Origin but most of my games are on Steam. I suppose I gravitate to that platform because...I'm not sure why. I don't have any love/beef with any particular business model but I would really like everything to be in one place, which will never happen. Since Ive switched over to digital Ill never buy physical media of any kind again.

I don't have any love/beef with any particular business model but I would really like everything to be in one place, which will never happen.

Yeah, I'm rather like that as well.

FO:NV is what had me getting Steam, then many months later I started buying a few other games here and there. Because I started (digital game service client) there, I tend to like keeping digital gaming  service there as much as possible vs. being split (across multiple game co. service sites). It's similar to my Netflix is ok, CBSGo isn't, tv attitude I suppose. I have no big love of Steam as a company or anything.

But because of the no-client/DRM and not-forced patching of GoG, I'll check it first before buying on Steam. At least for SP, older and indie games. But I do not use the Galaxy thingie. Blech.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Since Ive switched over to digital Ill never buy physical media of any kind again.

I prefer physical media. Sites like Steam & even GOG update their installers at will; and then you can't get the previous version.  I have seen digital downloads where the installer had steeper requirements than the game—and so would not install on the game's intended platform; (Farcry comes first to mind, but there are several others).

Other times, I've seen software that took a turn for the worse, and it was good that I had the physical media installer—that they cannot retrofit like they can with the online digital installer.  I still have the Fallout original (US) Fallout CD; and so my version still has the Mutant Army invasion; and of course... it's unsullied by the Bethesda logo and content changes.

Edited by Gizmo
  • Like 1