Steam or gog

Melusina

I use both...

Been using Steam far longer then GOG , but they both have the same use . 

I like how steam auto-update stuff , and the installation . Where on GOG..I have to download and often..its very slowwwwww . 

I find Steam more toxic though , its many 'Community' is growing to become a Youtube kinda of place . But there are also rare surprise! where you talk to a game creators ! And some of them even answer to review . 

GOG has that 'Human' touch to it though , so even if it doesn't have that many games..its a blast from the past . Where Steam is always digging toward the futur and it's very 'corp'...Valve this..Valve that....

if tomorrow...they both die and you must save one ? Save GOG! It has OLDIES!  :yes:

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

I like how steam auto-update stuff , and the installation . Where on GOG..I have to download and often..its very slowwwwww .

Gog Galaxy does the same kind of auto-updating —AFAIK. (I don't use it myself, and keep finding the thing installed by default more, and more often these days). It's the first thing I uninstall after installing a GoG title. :( But it is for providing some of the the social and auto-update features that Steam provides; from what I've read.

Gog Galaxy does the same kind of auto-updating —AFAIK. (I don't use it myself, and keep finding the thing installed by default more, and more often these days). It's the first thing I uninstall after installing a GoG title. :( But it is for providing some of the the social and auto-update features that Steam provides; from what I've read.

well steam has the workshop for mod :p thats..what I was thinking about auto-update lol 

when you have alot of mods installed..its so very useful when it does it on its own....

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

well steam has the workshop for mod :p thats..what I was thinking about auto-update lol 

when you have alot of mods installed..its so very useful when it does it on its own....

Except when a new patch bricks some of your mods and they are auto-updated.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

GoG is good because no drm but that's literally the only real thing it has on Steam. If I named all the features that Steam offers that GoG doesn't, it would be a wall of text that would be complained about. I do agree with the many here who have pointed out the catalog on GoG is horrible compared to Steam's.

For the record... Steam's Big Pick is far superior than GoG's Galaxy.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

in your GOG library, you can change to "Non-Galaxy Installers" for each game (if it has Galaxy bundled with it by default). I always download offline non-galaxy installers for my backups, and install my games from them, even though I use Galaxy a lot.

and @ sonic: The only one who is complaining about GOG catalogue on this forums is you :p GOG curates it's games, and you can almost never buy a game, which does not run on your Windows/Mac/Linux PC. If you find non-working game, their programmers fix it in few days or weeks. And it has no Direct/Greenlight garbage, which is win for GOG by default, no question asked ;)

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

in your GOG library, you can change to "Non-Galaxy Installers" for each game (if it has Galaxy bundled with it by default). I always download offline non-galaxy installers for my backups, and install my games from them, even though I use Galaxy a lot.

I do that, but I must have slipped up a few times. Several times I have seen the installer download and update GoG Galaxy.  I've started to wonder if any free title from them comes with a mandatory Galaxy installer.

Edited by Gizmo

I do that, but I must have slipped up a few times. Several times I have seen the installer download and update GoG Galaxy.  I've started to wonder if any free title from them comes with a mandatory Galaxy installer.

Nope all games are possible to get without Galaxy Installer. The GOG Downloader still works, and they are still offering links for it. If you use this app, it will always download you the non-galaxy installer.

link:  https://www.gog.com/downloader

In your library, each game has under More shown also GOG Downloader links.

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Except when a new patch bricks some of your mods and they are auto-updated.

yeah I know..

Thats why games auto-update should be off .  :thumbsup:

So I can play with my games modded and not worry about the patch screwing everything . 

Elderly Hive Dweller

GoG is good because no drm but that's literally the only real thing it has on Steam. If I named all the features that Steam offers that GoG doesn't, it would be a wall of text that would be complained about. I do agree with the many here who have pointed out the catalog on GoG is horrible compared to Steam's.

For the record... Steam's Big Pick is far superior than GoG's Galaxy.

Big catalogue is nice...

But steam pretty much screw up , when the 'Big' they have..can't be monitored as it should . There are a few games I saw...that are on steam , where the Dev started a game..then run off with the money . 

That is the downside of 'BIG' . 

well...I don't care for all those stuff steam has...cards..achievement crap...

So GOG not having that is fine . Origin has similar thing..but thats another pain in the ass...story lol 

Elderly Hive Dweller

I bought Vampire:Bloodlines from Steam and found that it wouldn't load; always CTD'd with an error message.  I contacted Steam, it took two weeks to hear back from them, and they gave me instructions for reconfiguring the windows boot.ini, that would have indefinitely reduced my available RAM by 50%. They told me that I'd have to boot it that way to run the game.

In the interim of those Two weeks of waiting on them, I found a minuscule user patch (that I think just flips a bit in the exe). Instantly the game ran fine.  That right there is utterly absurd.

With GoG, I bought The Witcher 2, and got constant crashes on load.  I contacted GoG; I had them on the chat (in what might have been minutes, but certainly it was within the hour). They determined that it was an issue with .Net, and their leaderboard feature.  I told them that I didn't care about the leaderboard...

They sent me a custom recompile with that feature disabled, and it played just fine.

Edited by Gizmo
  • Like 1

Get the community patch for Bloodlines. That game was broken on launch 20 years ago, as in you could not proceed beyond the cavern mission. of course no one fixed it when the made it available on STEAM. 

Or just get it from GoG. ;)

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Get the community patch for Bloodlines. That game was broken on launch 20 years ago, as in you could not proceed beyond the cavern mission. of course no one fixed it when the made it available on STEAM.

But the GoG version is missing all the cut content :/

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

But the GoG version is missing all the cut content :/

What? There's nothing stopping you from applying the full community patch to the GoG version. It just comes pre-fixed, unlike the Steam one. Pfff.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Oh.. I see that's kinda like how Kotor 2 and Silver come pre-fixed on Steam and not on GoG. Though, to that angle, that's probably when some peeps will only complain about the game being different from the original hehe

Yeah, I'm not into fan created content. Even the few changes in the bare bones Bloodlines patch made little or no sense to me. Luckily the Steam version is bug free for me, as long as I'm able to get it running that is.. Since it works now, I'm kind of reluctant to do a fresh Windows install, it was that much of a hassle to get running, and when it finally worked it was random, so yeah, not much luck in replicating that.

Since it works now, I'm kind of reluctant to do a fresh Windows install, it was that much of a hassle to get running, and when it finally worked it was random, so yeah, not much luck in replicating that.

While the GOG version does contain the fan patch, it does not use any of the features 'restoring' cut content - in other words, it's purely for fixing bugs and stabilizing the game. GOG usually tries to offer a functioning game which remains as true to the original vision as possible (even if the original vision was a bit botched at the end) Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 1

I vastly prefer GOG.com and have almost my entire collection on their platform now -- the day they get Dark Souls, DOOM (2016) and Resident Evil HD Remaster will be the day I leave Steam for good. They already have titles from the publishers of all three of those games, so (hopefully) it's just a matter of time...

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

Sometimes I think about creating a Steam account for Dishonored 2 and Prey  because I do not want to pirate Arkane Studios, but then I look at my 300+ unplayed games on GOG, think "Maaaaaybe after I finished these"  and dodge getting steamed for another day. 

(If anyone from Arkane is reading this, it totally, absolutely, definitely was not a hint, you guys.  :brows: )

Edited by bugarup