Endgame bug

cheesevillain

Question

I noticed what seems like a bug.

It's possible to survive the drop to Sun in Shadow without pledging to a god, explicitly or implicitly.

Josh Sawyer just posted that you can only complete the game if you pledge to a god.

I'm worried that this might affect endgame states that might be passed over to deadfire.

Edited by cheesevillain

5 answers to this question

It's possible to survive the drop to Sun in Shadow without pledging to a god, explicitly or implicitly.

Josh Sawyer just posted that you can only complete the game if you pledge to a god.

I'm worried that this might affect endgame states that might be passed over to deadfire.

You don't have to pledge to a god. It's optional.

All you need to do is earn a god's favor by finishing a quest given to you by a god.

Two separate things.

Edited by Messier-31

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

You don't have to pledge to a god. It's optional.

All you need to do is earn a god's favor by finishing a quest given to you by a god.

Two separate things.

I know! I'm only posting this because Josh posted this recently on Tumblr.

"Hello. You mentioned, that four controversial oaths for gods will get some consequences in the Deadfire. But what about situation where the Watcher made no promises but still got help from gods? Would this be recognized?"

"Gaining entry to Sun in Shadow requires a pledge to a god.  They won’t give you the souls you need to survive the descent unless you pledge to them. A player may try to cleverly word their promise as a not-promise, but the gods will still hold them accountable."

But finishing a god-related quest & going to sun in shadow does not require any promise or cleverly worded not-promise.

Edited by cheesevillain

I think Josh must be confusing the words "pledge" with "earn favor".

Being able to survive the fall was always a matter of finishing the quest of a god, and making a promise was always optional. It is so because there was a possibility to get the Wael's Boon in Sun in Shadow, only when you didn't make any promises earlier. This boon was cut from the game (still present in the files, though, and accesible through console commands), but if your character doesn't want to make any promises (thus he/she gets no boon) then you don't have to make any promises.

This way you are free to choose the desired ending regarding the souls of the Hollowborn without any repercussions of breaking an oath to a god, because you haven't got any.

Simple as that.

Edited by Messier-31

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

I think Josh must be confusing the words "pledge" with "earn favor".

I think this is possible.

This way you are free to choose the desired ending regarding the souls of the Hollowborn without any repercussions of breaking an oath to a god, because you haven't got any.

This is possible in the game, as we both know, but according to Josh, not supposed to be possible. This is exactly what the person on the Tumblr post was asking.

"what about situation where the Watcher made no promises but still got help from gods? Would this be recognized?"

"Gaining entry to Sun in Shadow requires a pledge to a god.  They won’t give you the souls you need to survive the descent unless you pledge to them. A player may try to cleverly word their promise as a not-promise, but the gods will still hold them accountable."

He says the gods will still "hold them accountable", which the gods don't if you gain the favour without the pledge.

Edited by cheesevillain