Best companion party and builds (getting stressed lol)

Hi guys. I played this game (PS4) when it was first released, but then I stupidly and regrettably bought Destiny 2 and moved onto that to get my platinum. I have that now, so back to this amazing game.

I'm only level 6, play on POD difficulty and I'm doing ok. I prefer to use the story companions, my main is a paladin "tank".

I'm wondering if people could give me some advice on what to put points to in everything ^^ my main, including what points to put into survival etc as I'll respect all chars if I have to.

My favourite chars are Eder, Durance and Aloth. Is it worth using Eder as an off tank? Or should I use Sagani and use her pet as off tank? I also can't find a "war bow" anywhere :/

Should I be crafting and using potions and food more as I have to admit I don't do that. I also don't do anything "crafting wise" with my weapons and armour either as I worry I'll find something better and will have waisted all my materials .. or are these materials common?

So basically, a good (story companion) party around my paladin. Builds for all party members, what to craft etc and some general advice.

I know this is asking a lot, but I love this game.. but I've just started a new job that requires more of my time. If I could get some of this info sorted I'd be more relaxed and can get back into this game.

Thanks in advance guys.

If you looking for a war bow there is a good early mid game one in copperlance in the marketplace sold by Igrun called Borresaine. Nice weapon until you get stunning shots as an ability on your ranger. He sales a couple of good weapons. I assume you are in Defiance Bay since you are level 6.

Edited by draego

I love Eder as a companion. Unfortunately from all my playthroughs i have to abandon him. Durance and Aloth is a good pick. The other one essential character i must pick would be Hiravias. I would say Kana > Eder like real hard.

Edited by Archaven

• 2 months later...

Hi guys. I played this game (PS4) when it was first released, but then I stupidly and regrettably bought Destiny 2 and moved onto that to get my platinum. I have that now, so back to this amazing game.

I'm only level 6, play on POD difficulty and I'm doing ok. I prefer to use the story companions, my main is a paladin "tank".

I'm wondering if people could give me some advice on what to put points to in everything ^^ my main, including what points to put into survival etc as I'll respect all chars if I have to.

My favourite chars are Eder, Durance and Aloth. Is it worth using Eder as an off tank? Or should I use Sagani and use her pet as off tank? I also can't find a "war bow" anywhere :/

Should I be crafting and using potions and food more as I have to admit I don't do that. I also don't do anything "crafting wise" with my weapons and armour either as I worry I'll find something better and will have waisted all my materials .. or are these materials common?

So basically, a good (story companion) party around my paladin. Builds for all party members, what to craft etc and some general advice.

I know this is asking a lot, but I love this game.. but I've just started a new job that requires more of my time. If I could get some of this info sorted I'd be more relaxed and can get back into this game.

Thanks in advance guys.

A bit of a thread necro, but what the heck. 

It's been a while since I played but have some thoughts.

1. I'm surprised that you're playing on POD difficulty on your first play through. 

2. I wouldn't get too worried about which companions to take, or rather get stuck on playing strictly with any single group of them.  While I found that I had my favorites, and certain ones might feel necessary to cover certain roles, it also helps to mix and match them from  time to time.  For one thing, if you rotate all of the companions through your party, you can work all of their personal quests.    It also helps you learn different classes that you might not be familiar with.  It's also nice to "recruit" them and have them hanging around your stronghold as a reserve.

Furthermore, on occasion, you might come across a battle here and there with which you have difficulty.   And sometimes the best way to handle it is to head back to your stronghold and switch up your party lineup.

Everyone has favorite companions.  Mine happens to be Pallegina.  I just love her "foreign" (to the Dyrwood) accent. 

3. I'm a bit stale on crafting, i.e. upgrading, armor and weapons, and so on.  But I can tell you this.  Some items are fairly common.  But certain items, like dragon scales and durgan steel, are extremely limited.