Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Suggestion] : Magic Staffs in Pillars' World

Staff Magic Wands Rods Sticks Ranged Melee

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7134 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

As a fledgling grognard I appreciate the grognard distinctions, but I think much in the way of change is to do with giving ranged magic a reusable bread and butter weapon much like rangers have bows and of course melee with their steel.

But for wands, what are they to be under your reign? Eye pokers? If you really want per charge stuff, you have scrolls that can fill a similar feature. Harry Potter seems to win the day in my eyes, which are yet to be poked out.

am not recalling making a suggestion regarding a change to poe wands or rods.  sure, am thinking such implements is kinda silly, but from a game mechanics pov, they have use.  poe rods and wands are alternatives to the otherwise obvious limited nature o' ranged weapon damage types: piercing. wands, scepters and rods (and as far as we know, a scepter is an ornamental rod) fulfill a practical game purpose and in spite o' the harry potter quality o' such implements, we see no reason to do otherwise than leave 'em as is.

SOS

staves. no mention o' the other implements.  is more than enough pew-pew in the game and all possible damage types is already covered.  no point to add staves.

and yes, is a staff and not scarface's little friend.

warning: a smidge sweary

Spoiler

in all the lotr books, am not recalling gandalf doing pew-pew.  the old wizard's staff produced light, but were not necessarily a function o' the staff. in fact, any overt magic gandalf used in all the books combined were extreme limited, and all less-than-subtle magics were at least potential attributable to his ring as 'posed to the wizard or his staff. not d&d.  not lotr. not traditional for those claiming tradition.

folks want scarface and not gandalf? fine.  they already got the pew-pew with three other implements. SOS.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir, 13 November 2017 - 05:25 PM.

Enoch

Enoch

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2706 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I love seeing a wise old witches/wizards who uses their index finger for magic. Something about it always seemed primal, it's a sign of mastery and affinity with the arcane.

• Amentep, injurai and Wormerine like this

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7134 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

always preferred our wizards to be o' the ineffable variety. 'course the only good wizard...

HA! Good Fun!

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7167 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

That's not entirely accurate. Hand magic is rare and difficult and requires a certain amount of raw power; *most* people in fact cannot do it, and even those who can are never as effective without it. The vast majority of witches and wizards *need* wands to practice magic, period.

Fair enough. Didn't know that detail. I only noticed that even the people who CAN do it couldn't do it as a fetus. They had to grow up and gain discipline and knowledge, etc. Essentially, they had to get better at controlling magic. If they have a potential ceiling, they have a potential ceiling, but they still have to climb up to it, IF it's high enough.

That was the comparison I was trying to make; the advancement through levels of need for focus tools. But I appreciate the correction/info, :)

@Gromnir and the Pew-Pew Staff:

Depending on how it works, I don't think the very fact that a staff can let one pew-pew is a terrible idea. In my eyes, it's overly rigid to think that one can conjure a massive meteor storm of cosmic fire, but one cannot simply break that down into, say, a temporary enchantment that puts one spell's worth of resources into a weapon of choice (not necessarily a staff, but the point is that the magic comes from the wielder, not the tool) to allow that caster to spread out the magic, as it were. Like "Oh, look, a bunch of enemies who know I can summon a massive meteor storm if they clump together, so they're all spread out and surrounding us! I'd better charge my staff with my magic so I can use it to sling a little bit of spell out at a time to a whole bunch of different enemies in different directions."

Essentially, you could have a per-encounter spell, just like all other spells (so it actually takes up a spell slot, etc.) that makes your staff do ranged magic attacks of a given type for the next 10 attacks or something.

You get these enchantments all the time with melee weapons/attacks. Why not ranged? If I can put magical lightning into a sword, why can't I hurl bolts of it out of a weapon? Maybe only the Wizard can do this on his own weapon because arcane control is necessary to actually discharge the enchantment in the form of bolts, whereas enchanting a bow or crossbow actually just transfers the enchantment onto a physical vessel (the bolts/arrows), which then deliver the enchantment to the enemy.

Edited by Lephys, 14 November 2017 - 07:32 AM.

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2502 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Hmm, I find the pew pew wand as Harry Potterish

That said, I don't want swirly twirly DA staffs either. I'm sure there is a nice middle ground somewhere

Edited by ShadySands, 14 November 2017 - 08:09 AM.

Fardragon

Fardragon

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1376 posts

I think improving the length and animation of rods would be a middle ground that would leave no one disappointed.

Juodas Varnas

Juodas Varnas

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 83 posts

I think improving the length and animation of rods would be a middle ground that would leave no one disappointed.

I'd be totally OK with the rods being something more like this  :grin: 
e4f05be661b32d3975927ac578ed7691.jpg

• FlintlockJazz, Lephys and Wormerine like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Staff, Magic, Wands, Rods, Sticks, Ranged, Melee

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users