[Suggestion] : Magic Staffs in Pillars' World

Hi Everyone ! [& Devs included, if you're coming by !  :blush:]

Josh was recenty talking about Quarterstaffs & I wanted to talk about Magic Staffs (in D&D type of Game).

For 20+ Years now, we've always had those "Two-Handed Melee only Staffs".

Moreover, most of them where somehow, kinda Sh**ty in my opinion.

But here's the thing, we've never had Big "Ranged" Magic Staffs, that shoots Magic Bolts of whatever you want (Let's say Minelotta's type of projectiles, would be a perfect exemple for that).

Pillars Of Eternity was the perfect Game, & perfect Setting (with Archmages being around & quite common in Eora), to finally introduce this !

But it's not here, & I think it lacks a lot.

It would bring more Diversity, Unique Playstyle, Unique Visual Animations, Awesome Epic Loots for Mages (Unique Skins for big Archmages fights), diverse types of damage,

(just random guessing here but for exemple : Ice, Corrosion, Fire, etc).

Instead we continue to get these Short unappealing Sticks, Wands, Rods, or whatever they're called.

I have to insist on "Unappealing" because... Really, these things are not that cool.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From a Visual standpoint only, it would feel more Rewarding, & especially "SATISFYING", to see Aloth (or PC) wearing one awesome Magic Two-Handed Ranged Staff, instead of those Sushy-Grabber Sticks we're always getting. Plus, I'd assume it would be wayyy easier for a developper to make a Gorgeous Unique looking Skin for a Big Magic Staff,

than it is to make one for a Short Wand that we can barely see In-Game anyway.

I'm really wondering why bother making unique visuals for Sticks, that we can't see most of the time In-Game.

But anyway...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I asked Josh about this & (Thanks to him), he responded :

1510265422-magic-staff.jpg

But again, "Rods" translate as Short Wands (Baguette Magique) to me, like, something small.

I don't know if you get the difference I'm pointing at, between :

Une "Baguette Magique"                                                  &                                                                     Un "Bâton Magique"

1510268929-mage2.jpg

So, there you go, I think Ranged Magic Staff lacks a lot, & are very interesting.

In terms of :

• Mechanics it can bring.
  • Auto-Attacks Animations (you can create really Stylished Moves & Cool Projectiles).
  • Probably Easier to work with, when it comes to create Unique Skins.
  • Are Visually, a lot more Satisfying & Rewarding to wear on a Character.

Repeating myself, but Pillars was the perfect New Game coming around (at the time), to introduce this.

I hope they'll take a look at it, iterate on it, & maybe consider this in the future.

Thanks for reading !

PS : I think visually Unique Mage Robes were lacking aswell, but hopefuly they'll do something about this in Deadfire !  :w00t:

Edited by DexGames
  • Like 4

I concur, magic ranged weapons feel like their being left out with out a two-hander.

Absolutely !

Note : I said "Two-Handed", but in Deadfire you can wear a Staff & a Dagger (or anything else) at the same time so... (doesn't really matter)

But yeah, my point is mostly about the lack of "Ranged Magical Staff" in general... like that M*th**F***ing Gandalf you know...  :grin:

Also, in English, the baton one would actually be the smaller staff (since that'd be baton size) and the big one would be a staff.

I agree though, having actual magic staves would be cool.

Oh ok, I struggled finding the correct words to describe the difference...

But Eh, you got it !  ;)

First: I'd find it weird if you had a staff big enough for close combat, but was still using ranged elemental attacks.

Second: A mighty wizard staff is a strong visual signal of High Fantasy works, like World of Warcraft & DnD, where mighty heroes travel the planes, easily punch Cthulhu in the face, etc.. Pillars of Eternity has some elements that are High Fantasy, but also elements of low fantasy like Game of Thrones. There may have been a conscious decision to tone down some of the flashier high fantasy elements.

First: I'd find it weird if you had a staff big enough for close combat, but was still using ranged elemental attacks.

Second: A mighty wizard staff is a strong visual signal of High Fantasy works, like World of Warcraft & DnD, where mighty heroes travel the planes, easily punch Cthulhu in the face, etc.. Pillars of Eternity has some elements that are High Fantasy, but also elements of low fantasy like Game of Thrones. There may have been a conscious decision to tone down some of the flashier high fantasy elements.

I agree on your second point, maybe it's a concious decision.

Not sure if I understood correctly your first point though...

You mean, if an Ennemy Fighter comes to you (as a Wizard), but your still using Ranged Attacks, right ?

In that case, it is also very odd that an Archer shoots arrows at an ennemy that is upclose to him, instead of planting an arrow in his eye socket...

But that's still in the Game, so I don't think that's relevant here.

But I got your point.  :unsure:

Edited by DexGames
  • Like 1

I dunno, you can pew pew out of wands all day but it's weird from a staff? I'm not suggesting that they should be spinning and twirling it like in Dragon Age but I think it'd be nice to have.

I also don't see why they'd want to wade into close quarters combat just because they have a big stick, unless that's your thing. Staying at range would seem to be safer.

Free games updated 3/4/21

That's most likely an accurate assessment of design choice, but I feel it leaves a big, gaping whole in the weapons.

I feel like it's a combination of staves being already a melee weapon and rods, sceptres and wands already covering different kinds of magic implements. Besides, they're all effectively two-handed in PoE 1 - though that won't be true in Deadfire. Now, of course a wizard can wield a quarterstaff like anyone else, but it's still a melee weapon. So it does create a bit of a hole, where the archetypal wizard with a staff has to actually hit people with it.

Perhaps they could implement arcane staves for multi-classed wizards with a melee class, such as fighter or barbarian? It would be roughly comparable to using a pistol as a club for close in work.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Hi Everyone ! [& Devs included, if you're coming by !  :blush:]

Josh was recenty talking about Quarterstaffs & I wanted to talk about Magic Staffs (in D&D type of Game).

For 20+ Years now, we've always had those "Two-Handed Melee only Staffs".

Moreover, most of them where somehow, kinda Sh**ty in my opinion.

But here's the thing, we've never had Big "Ranged" Magic Staffs, that shoots Magic Bolts of whatever you want (Let's say Minelotta's type of projectiles, would be a perfect exemple for that).

Pillars Of Eternity was the perfect Game, & perfect Setting (with Archmages being around & quite common in Eora), to finally introduce this !

But it's not here, & I think it lacks a lot.

It would bring more Diversity, Unique Playstyle, Unique Visual Animations, Awesome Epic Loots for Mages (Unique Skins for big Archmages fights), diverse types of damage,

(just random guessing here but for exemple : Ice, Corrosion, Fire, etc).

Instead we continue to get these Short unappealing Sticks, Wands, Rods, or whatever they're called.

I have to insist on "Unappealing" because... Really, these things are not that cool.

From a Visual standpoint only, it would feel more Rewarding, & especially "SATISFYING", to see Aloth (or PC) wearing one awesome Magic Two-Handed Ranged Staff, instead of those Sushy-Grabber Sticks we're always getting. Plus, I'd assume it would be wayyy easier for a developper to make a Gorgeous Unique looking Skin for a Big Magic Staff,

than it is to make one for a Short Wand that we can barely see In-Game anyway.

I'm really wondering why bother making unique visuals for Sticks, that we can't see most of the time In-Game.

But anyway...

I asked Josh about this & (Thanks to him), he responded :

1510265422-magic-staff.jpg

But again, "Rods" translate as Short Wands (Baguette Magique) to me, like, something small.

I don't know if you get the difference I'm pointing at, between :

Une "Baguette Magique"                                                  &                                                                     Un "Bâton Magique"

1510268929-mage2.jpg

So, there you go, I think Ranged Magic Staff lacks a lot, & are very interesting.

In terms of :

• Mechanics it can bring.
  • Auto-Attacks Animations (you can create really Stylished Moves & Cool Projectiles).
  • Probably Easier to work with, when it comes to create Unique Skins.
  • Are Visually, a lot more Satisfying & Rewarding to wear on a Character.

Repeating myself, but Pillars was the perfect New Game coming around (at the time), to introduce this.

I hope they'll take a look at it, iterate on it, & maybe consider this in the future.

Thanks for reading !

PS : I think visually Unique Mage Robes were lacking aswell, but hopefuly they'll do something about this in Deadfire !  :w00t:

I think you are missing the point. PoE mages don't dress like that. In this setting mages look like everyone else. You don't have to be a mage to use an implement or staff. You can play an implement using monk (self damage is nice) or a staff wielding barbarian. A mage can wear full plate and wield a two handed sword.

It's not a world where you can tell what class someone is by the way they dress.

This is reflected even more in Deadfire by making Blast a property of rods, rather than a mage-specific ability.

• Like 3

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

I so agree with Fardragon. Pillars is trying to differenciate itself from the fantasy bulk, why are we trying to pull it back?

Also, OP, this doesen't look like a staff; this looks like a stylish mixture of a spear and a halberd to me :p

Edited by Sedrefilos

I'm not keen on big-ass magic staffs being made the 'mage' weapon primarily for what another poster said: they look they should be usable in melee as well, in which case it then becomes "why not use them in melee too?" and then you just got normal mages instead of rapier mages which is what I wanted.  However, I also think the 'rods' in Pillars 1 were lacking something, and weren't quite sure what they were meant to be.  Rods I always thought were more cane-length implements, the largest of the implements, half-way to being a staff but made of metal and thin, and could actually be used as canes, but in Pillars they seemed to be even smaller than wands and looked like handles someone had broken off something, they were incredibly bland looking.  Sceptres were closer to being rods than rods, and they looked like unwieldy bludgeoning pompous things.

I actually like the 'baguette' magic wands in Pillars, they looked awesome and I liked wands being a thing.  I would prefer the looks of the wands over the other two, and was annoyed that stat-wise the sceptres were just better.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Staffs are traditionally used to aid in walking.

And self-defence.

Apparently, the staff was the number one weapon used in England for homicide at one point.  Or so I heard.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Staffs are traditionally used to aid in walking.

And self-defence.

Apparently, the staff was the number one weapon used in England for homicide at one point.  Or so I heard.

A thick and hard-hitting stick of wood, easy to acquire. It's quite threatening by itself and if you knew how to use it, you could make your way around any sword.

• Like 1