Portrait In-Game Backers (& other custom content backers). What do you think?

Katrina and the team have been in contact with me regarding my custom portrait, and I must say I'm really liking it!

This is almost a full circle thing for me, as I recall my high school days, using MS Paint to make very amateur portraits of myself for Baldurs Gate, so to have my mug officially in Deadfire is an emotional moment.

I gave feedback on the initial draft and they took into consideration what I wanted changed and updated. I've received my close-to final version today and I'm a happy chappy

• Like 7

"If you would, you could become all flame" - Abba Joseph of the Desert Fathers.

I'd share but I'm not sure how Obsidian feel about sharing before public release.

Yes, better do NOT share unless you have spoken with Obsidian first and they agreed to it. Otherwise, great to hear you like the almost-final version of your portrait.

I wonder if we will be able to recognize you from your avatar ;)

• Like 1

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

I'd share but I'm not sure how Obsidian feel about sharing before public release.

Yes, better do NOT share unless you have spoken with Obsidian first and they agreed to it. Otherwise, great to hear you like the almost-final version of your portrait.

I wonder if we will be able to recognize you from your avatar ;)

Yeah, it's under wraps, but perhaps people will see the final version when it's patched into Pillars 1 for the definitive edition.

My current avatar may give you an idea ;-)

Edited by PneumaticFire

Glad to hear you're happy with it! I didn't realize they had a feedback process. That strikes me as risky since some gamers can seem... overly entitled, or non-constructively critical. Glad that this does not seem to be the case with PoE fans :) And good on Obsidian for putting themselves out there like that to make sure their high level backers are happy

• Like 2

Glad to hear you're happy with it! I didn't realize they had a feedback process. That strikes me as risky since some gamers can seem... overly entitled, or non-constructively critical. Glad that this does not seem to be the case with PoE fans :) And good on Obsidian for putting themselves out there like that to make sure their high level backers are happy

Yeah I totally agree,

I liked the initial draft portrait instantly, so I hope I didn't come across as overly entitled when I asked for a couple of revisions after being asked for feedback on it!

I made sure to voice my appreciation and that I really liked it, and just asked if they have time to change background colour and to remove a certain item.  

They'd have so much work to do prior to launch, so the fact that they've been open to and have implemented feedback requests is greatly appreciated.

So if any of the Obsidian team come across this post, let me voice my appreciation for your talented and hard work once again. :)

Edited by PneumaticFire
  • Like 3

Neat, I was curious if you were going to try and reclaim your hair or not.

Did you have a particular class/combo in mind?

:lol:  No, bald and proud.  Magical abilities Ill fantasise about but not the hair :lol:

I'm intending to play as either a single class Paladin or most likely some multi subclass combo of Paladin/Cipher

• Like 1

Hmmmm... I don't seem to have this Portrait in my game after installing the patch/deadfire pack thing.

The portrait is cool AF though.

Thank you :)

Thats because they needed my approval for the final revision and it couldn't be done on time.  Katrina said it (and a couple of others) will be patched in soon.

• Like 1

I liked the initial draft portrait instantly, so I hope I didn't come across as overly entitled when I asked for a couple of revisions after being asked for feedback on it!

Not at all!

Glad you like it :)

Thank you, you are very talented.  :)

• Like 1

Very cool! Assuming you are playing Human, are the forehead markings some kind of scarification or does it have any meaning?

Yeah, I'll be playing as a human.  Of course, being a role playing game, if anyone chooses to use this portrait, they can come up with whatever backstory or class they like ;)

Depending on how much liberty or elaboration someone wishes to make on the law and backstory, it could be ritual scarification (which would also be fitting for a monk), or a physical manifestation of cipher/mental or divine abilities through sacrifice and rigorous training.  Personally I like to see it as a synergy of both.

• Like 2

Ok here it is.

My portrait which will be patched into Pillars 1 and the Deadfire beta soon, and of course, the full Deadfire release in 2018.

:)

vOK9cVO.jpg

The linear brushstrokes of the face along with the narrow tonal range and restricted palette result in a flat portrait that is completely overshadowed by the background. Wow! what is going on here? The artist has broadly stroked out the tiniest variations in texture and tone of the background, and clearly spent a great deal of time and attention here. The wider palette and complementary blues and golds create irresistible drama. This is a background with a powerful identity all of its own and serves not to ‘pop’ the subject out but in the end invite us to look around the head and pay attention to what is hidden.

So while on the one hand it’s a pandering, finely delineated illusion, fusing the backer with the game, on the other it suggests that this in itself isn’t exciting, it’s a little flat, and perhaps argues that to force the real into the fantasy will result in something boring obscuring something interesting, bullying it out of view.

Is it saying that the picture space is the artist’s time, and when the subject bought and paid for this they gained a portrait but something else was lost?, something potentially brilliant? In the end it is the work of an artist obscured by a money-exchange motivated work of a craftsman, as all backer portraits are. I delete them from every game they appear in.

P.S. what was the removed item?

• Like 1

but something else was lost

And what would that be? The process of creating NPC portraits is basically the same. A character, created by a writer, described to the artist by an art director or something, drawn with other peoples vision of the game in mind and then changed multiple times based on feedback from the team and the players.

• Like 2

---

We're all doomed