Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Obsidian teasing about a new project on Twitter

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

kirottu

kirottu

Luchador Ninja

• Members
  • 4515 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I hope it's going to have loot boxes you can buy with real money. The sheer amount of drama we would have would be epic. I mean, I feel betrayed just thinking about it.

• Azdeus likes this

Beyond The Sea

Beyond The Sea

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 31 posts

Oh, I didn't realize, thank you.

What made me doubt a publisher is based on what Tim Cain said. Most recently at something called Reboot Develop. He said Nulb, a town in in Temple of Elemental Evil, had retroactively about two thirds of it's content disapproved by the publisher so soon before release that Troika couldn't change or replace it.

And he previously said when he came to Obsidian he had a single condition that he wouldn't have to deal with publishers. Troika went bust trying to find a publisher for their last project, didn't they? I just assumed his and Leonard Boyarsky new game wouldn't have a traditional publisher similar to PoE.

injurai

injurai

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1188 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

What made me doubt a publisher is based on what Tim Cain said. Most recently at something called Reboot Develop. He said Nulb, a town in in Temple of Elemental Evil, had retroactively about two thirds of it's content disapproved by the publisher so soon before release that Troika couldn't change or replace it.

And he previously said when he came to Obsidian he had a single condition that he wouldn't have to deal with publishers. Troika went bust trying to find a publisher for their last project, didn't they? I just assumed his and Leonard Boyarsky new game wouldn't have a traditional publisher similar to PoE.

I guess things change. Every publisher contract is different, and depending on how much Obsidian brings to the table themselves, that could change their bargaining power and control over content. Obsidian is also much more proven these days and has a better read on their customers.

There are publishers that know how to trust devs, usually because the stakes are lower, and they tend to work with proven developers.

Deep Silver and Devolved, for example. I should probably add them to my list.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2319 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Troika had publisher troubles with all their titles- Arcanum got needlessly delayed for months (with a pirate version already out), ToEE had those cuts (rumour at the time was due to WotC's supposed moral clauses though, not the publisher Infogrammes) and VtMB had to be delayed until after Half Life 2 launched due to using Source and there was some disputation about funding game fixes during the delay. Wouldn't blame TC at all if he didn't want to deal with publishers with that record. That may just mean he wants management or the game producers to deal with them though and as above there are publishers who let the dev just get on with things. If Obsidian is making and retaining the IP they'd probably have a fair bit of freedom as well.

• injurai likes this

Flouride

Flouride

Chew Toy of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1840 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I think what he meant was that he doesn't want to be the one who deals with the publishers, not that the company couldn't have publishers on games he works on. Cain isn't a dummy, the 1st project he joined had a publisher, as did Pillars.

He just had enough of dealing with publishers personally, he doesn't mind that someone else in the company ( Feargus & other partners) do all that and he can just do what he enjoys.

AwesomeOcelot

AwesomeOcelot

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1229 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Pillars wasn't publisher funded, Obsidian didn't have to answer to Paradox at all but you're correct in what Tim meant about not wanting to deal with publishers, he doesn't want to be in the producer or executive role, he wants to be only on the developer side.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2319 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Namco Bandai doesn't really seem to take risks on western style games.

Seems that may be changing. Some of the things they talk about there would definitely fit Obsidian pretty well, some not so much.

injurai

injurai

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1188 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Namco Bandai doesn't really seem to take risks on western style games.

Seems that may be changing. Some of the things they talk about there would definitely fit Obsidian pretty well, some not so much.

Very interesting, thanks for the find.

Blodhemn

Blodhemn

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 717 posts

I think what he meant was that he doesn't want to be the one who deals with the publishers, not that the company couldn't have publishers on games he works on. Cain isn't a dummy, the 1st project he joined had a publisher, as did Pillars.

He just had enough of dealing with publishers personally, he doesn't mind that someone else in the company ( Feargus & other partners) do all that and he can just do what he enjoys.

Yeah, that's how I took it. As pointed out, both he and Boyarsky didn't seem to enjoy their head positions at Troika. Now they're back to the positions that got them into the industry in the first place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users