Obsidian teasing about a new project on Twitter

Flouride

Maybe it's the new (and still secret at the time) project that accidentally got slightly sneak previewed in that tour Fearhus was giving to that guy? The guy said it looked like Tyrrany or Pillars stuff to him.

They were testing multiple games, of which included the top town games. But apparently one of the screens had the new game on it, and he missed it.

For whatever reason I feel like it's going to be Gothic or Lovecraftian in theme. I sort of think it's whatever Obsidian's answer to V:TM-B before paradox acquired White Wolf. I'm not assuming Obsidian has that license locked down, in fact I'm assuming it's more of a passion project to see a long desired project come to fruition.

Course I could be totally wrong on the theme. All we know is that it's 3D on the Unreal engine. It could be 3rd person or 1st person, though I am inclined to lean towards the later. Maybe it's dual camera.

• Like 1

For whatever reason I feel like it's going to be Gothic or Lovecraftian in theme. I sort of think it's whatever Obsidian's answer to V:TM-B before paradox acquired White Wolf. I'm not assuming Obsidian has that license locked down, in fact I'm assuming it's more of a passion project to see a long desired project come to fruition.

Course I could be totally wrong on the theme. All we know is that it's 3D on the Unreal engine. It could be 3rd person or 1st person, though I am inclined to lean towards the later. Maybe it's dual camera.

I wished it's another RTwP and isometric game? Well my wish is basically close to 0 hope.

It's a VR game, most likely an hour long in play length.  I have no reason to believe this but with VR being pushed so much these days I figured I might as well have a punt at it, either way I win.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I wished it's another RTwP and isometric game? Well my wish is basically close to 0 hope.

I'm not sure exactly how large Obs is, and how many teams they are currently running. But at least 3 I believe, with some other small units. Deadfire and Tyranny team share some engine and tooling programmer, but otherwise seem mostly distinct. Deadfire team is tied up until sometime into late Q1 early Q2 of next year. Tyranny team seems to have freed up, it's possible they are continuing with Tyranny or on another game in the infinity-like style. The Cainarsky team probably grows over time as it moves through development stages, I doubt they'd gut the Pillars team for it, but the Tyranny team probably. The Pathfinder team seems small and mostly in a support role, not so much in full dev mode so I'm not really counting it.

I predict Josh and PoE team will do a 3rd and final game, before giving the IP to another team to explore other ideas in the world of Eora. I also imagine the Tyranny team eventually making another infinity-like IP down the road even if they are pulled apart to work on the Cainarsky title.

All of this arm chair analysis, but I think the team distributions has been made somewhat transparent and I'm pretty confident that there will be a 3rd pillars. Josh has mentioned it in theory and Feargus has mentioned it practice. Plus, getting that 3rd entry like the original BG/IWDs/FO never managed I think will be a worthy milestone to pursue, then they can feel free to explore new projects. Maybe Josh will get his historical rpg after that!

I'm not sure exactly how large Obs is, and how many teams they are currently running. But at least 3 I believe, with some other small units. Deadfire and Tyranny team share some engine and tooling programmer, but otherwise seem mostly distinct. Deadfire team is tied up until sometime into late Q1 early Q2 of next year. Tyranny team seems to have freed up, it's possible they are continuing with Tyranny or on another game in the infinity-like style. The Cainarsky team probably grows over time as it moves through development stages, I doubt they'd gut the Pillars team for it, but the Tyranny team probably. The Pathfinder team seems small and mostly in a support role, not so much in full dev mode so I'm not really counting it.

I predict Josh and PoE team will do a 3rd and final game, before giving the IP to another team to explore other ideas in the world of Eora. I also imagine the Tyranny team eventually making another infinity-like IP down the road even if they are pulled apart to work on the Cainarsky title.

All of this arm chair analysis, but I think the team distributions has been made somewhat transparent and I'm pretty confident that there will be a 3rd pillars. Josh has mentioned it in theory and Feargus has mentioned it practice. Plus, getting that 3rd entry like the original BG/IWDs/FO never managed I think will be a worthy milestone to pursue, then they can feel free to explore new projects. Maybe Josh will get his historical rpg after that!

They had 4½ teams few months ago:

Deadfire

Tyranny DLC's (most likely 2nd DLC pack incoming knowing Paradox)

Pathfinder Adventures (not sure if they stopped working on this after the recent pack release)

Indiana (Cain & Boyarsky)

½ of a project that they seemed to like.

Hate the living, love the dead.

They had 4½ teams few months ago:

Deadfire

Tyranny DLC's (most likely 2nd DLC pack incoming knowing Paradox)

Pathfinder Adventures (not sure if they stopped working on this after the recent pack release)

Indiana (Cain & Boyarsky)

½ of a project that they seemed to like.

I knew they had some ancillary thing that I wasn't sure about, and I was intentionally not counting the pathfinder team as it seemed to dwindle down to just a small content team. It's development and engineering phase had largely already wrapped up.