Hey guys, just wanted to make an introduction having just signed up. I've been a long term fan of RPG games right back from Baldur's Gate having still got my old cardboard box of the game they used to sell the PC games in :p. Loved the story behind Neverwinter Nights, the HoTU and SoU expansions and playing socially in the NWNTacticsGold module on nwn online where a lot of Hell Feared Angels (HFA) clan members played. Other games I enjoyed were of course BG2, BGToB, Kotor, Kotor 2 and the Icewind Dale series especially the 2nd.

In terms with Obsidian Games I enjoyed playing NWN2, the expansions and of course the first Pillars of Eternity with currently replaying through the first one again for some nostalgia and the music. Looking forward to Deadfire having seen the screens and heard about the Defiant Ship and it's crew feature which should be interesting to explore further and of course the new companions alongside the old ones we currently know about.

Cheers now,

:>

P.S One thought that came to me is introducing shanties that the crew can sing in unison while aboard the ship or while out on the Ship, these could be a collected item, given through quests, found while exploring and potentially sold by merchants you meet as a chance encounter in the wild.

• Like 3

P.S One thought that came to me is introducing shanties that the crew can sing in unison while aboard the ship or while out on the Ship, these could be a collected item, given through quests, found while exploring and potentially sold by merchants you meet as a chance encounter in the wild.

Yes, that should be an option for your ship-based travel: have the crew sing you a sea shantie. The longer you sail, the more ribald grow the shanties. To tone it down, you'll need to let the crew visit a brothel.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I did enjoy shanties in Black Flag a lot. I don't think we will be spending that much time on the world map though, so investing in multiple background songs for an interactive map on which we will spent little time at any given time.

I am all for all piratey things.

Sid Meier please. Where is my Pirates!! ?

• Like 1

Hello and welcome iranicus!  Sea shanties sung by the companions' voice actors could be amusing!  And I was hoping for a ship since Pillars 1 so I'm ecstatic about being able to explore it. :D

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I did enjoy shanties in Black Flag a lot. I don't think we will be spending that much time on the world map though, so investing in multiple background songs for an interactive map on which we will spent little time at any given time.

But... are we pirates in this game?

Nope. Is singing restricted to pirates?

Nope. Is singing restricted to pirates?

No I'd love singing too, I just thought you wanted "pirate" singing as in singing songs about piracy and I though it'll be a bit off since we're not gonna be pirates.

Unless... the game lets us be pirates and have a different song list with pirate songs for that situation!

No I'd love singing too, I just thought you wanted "pirate" singing as in singing songs about piracy and I though it'll be a bit off since we're not gonna be pirates.

Unless... the game lets us be pirates and have a different song list with pirate songs for that situation!

Ahh i see. OP mentioned shanties (sailors songs) and ability of collecting them so I assumed inspiration for that request came from Black Flag half pirate, half asscreed game. Top down map/boat traveling with singing is also very reminiscent of Pirates!. Therefore my logic - singing on ship = piratey. And every occasion is good to call for Pirates2 in case, like Beattlejuice, it will appear if you mention it enough times.

But continuing conversation, in unlikely case shanties would be a thing it would be silly to put in the game existing songs like they did in Black Flag. A custom written songs of eora would be needed and as fun as it might be for Josh to figure out how sailors song’s lyrics might be in Deadfire and for Justine to figure out how their songs would sounds it probably would be a big waste of time and waste of budget.

As mentioned before the travern song for WM is a thing and it was lovely, but I doubt they would create too many of those.

Ahh i see. OP mentioned shanties (sailors songs) and ability of collecting them so I assumed inspiration for that request came from Black Flag half pirate, half asscreed game. Top down map/boat traveling with singing is also very reminiscent of Pirates!. Therefore my logic - singing on ship = piratey. And every occasion is good to call for Pirates2 in case, like Beattlejuice, it will appear if you mention it enough times.

But continuing conversation, in unlikely case shanties would be a thing it would be silly to put in the game existing songs like they did in Black Flag. A custom written songs of eora would be needed and as fun as it might be for Josh to figure out how sailors song’s lyrics might be in Deadfire and for Justine to figure out how their songs would sounds it probably would be a big waste of time and waste of budget.

As mentioned before the travern song for WM is a thing and it was lovely, but I doubt they would create too many of those.

Some games, though, wrote original songs (with lyrics, singers and all) for bards in tavers even though the time a player wound spend there should have been short. Dragon Age Inquisition and DOS 2 did it and, if I remeber well, Skyrim did so too. So, maybe, if the people in Obsidian are interested enough, we might see (or rather hear) shanties! :)

Some games, though, wrote original songs (with lyrics, singers and all) for bards in tavers even though the time a player wound spend there should have been short. Dragon Age Inquisition and DOS 2 did it and, if I remeber well, Skyrim did so too. So, maybe, if the people in Obsidian are interested enough, we might see (or rather hear) shanties! :)

DA:I and Skyrim were made on colossal budgets. Let's not compare them with deadfire for what's feasible!

True but DA:I has EA's money and Skyrim has Bethesda's. D:OS2 ruins any argument I make whenever it is full voice acting or singing so good for them:-).

• Like 1

DA:I and Skyrim were made on colossal budgets. Let's not compare them with deadfire for what's feasible!

I'm sure there are plenty of musicians/choirs out there who'd love to make some sea shanties (etc.) for an indie video game, who wouldn't charge eleventy billion dollars.

I mean, sure, they can't get U2 to do the soundtrack, but I don't think some cool folkish music is beyond imagining for what is currently one of the most successful indie developer's budget.

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

• 6 months later...