RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS - 'NON-FAKE-NEWS EDITION'

Rosbjerg

Congratulations to EA for Posting the Most Hated Comment in Reddit History

The subject of Reddit’s ire was the upcoming EA game Star Wars Battlefront 2. More specifically, the realization that many of the franchise’s most memorable characters wouldn’t be playable in the game from the get-go. To unlock them, players will need to spend in-game currency earned from hours of play. In the case of Darth Vader, the price tag is 60,000 credits, which requires around a 40-hour investment, according to player estimates. (Spending real-world money, which cannot be directly converted to credits, provides only a “round-about way” of unlocking the characters.)

• Like 5

Free games updated 3/4/21

I could go on a rant about everything wrong with EA Battlefront II, but some days I get tired of being mad about video games. And just want to delight in watching people be mad about them in my place.

It's sort of like looking at Command & Conquer 4 all over again. Except if Command & Conquer 4 had a half-decent base game underneath it, but with 4x the problems.

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Technically you can't buy Darth Vader. You can buy loot boxes, which have a chance of containing Darth Vader.

I do think 40 hours isn't to make it "rewarding". 40 hours is a small eternity in modern gaming time. They made it so long to sell more loot boxes.

• Like 2

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

"Hey, how do I unlock Darth Vader?"

"Well, you can either work for it or buy it."

"Squeal squeal squeal! What do you mean its not free and instant! Squeal!"

:lol: Never change, people.

I dunno, man. Here's the thing, I bought NBA2k18 for 60 bucks only to have a lot of things gated behind online play and extremely long grinds or a paywall. These are features that were a part of earlier games in the series right out of the box. Grinding to better your player was always part of the experience but with the latest game they've stretched it out to a ridiculous point with smaller rewards and higher requirements. It's like getting a free to play game for a AAA game price.

• Like 6

Free games updated 3/4/21

Do you guys think RPG's should make people level up their toons themselves? Or is that another slight by manufacturers of games?

I think RPGs should give levels semi-frequently. Not ask you to stay level 1 for 40 hours grinding a handful of dungeons to unlock a single spell you can't even use half the time. An important spell they know a bunch of players are buying the game to cast. But it's okay, you can buy statboxes with real money so you can keep getting +1s without interrupting your grind.

Technically you can't buy Darth Vader. You can buy loot boxes, which have a chance of containing Darth Vader.

I do think 40 hours isn't to make it "rewarding". 40 hours is a small eternity in modern gaming time. They made it so long to sell more loot boxes.

Not really. Heroes are not in loot boxes. Heroes are purchased with credits. Credits are obtained at a slow rate from matches. Note that it doesn't matter if you won, lost, or what your score was. Just how long the match took.

However loot boxes can also contain credits if you end up with a duplicate card. So buying loot boxes can make it go by faster.

• Like 1

2a182e40e7d62c01ea5f8d2f6b105f80--video-

"Yo dawg, we heard you like paying so we put a F2P model in your $60 game so you can pay while you pay..."

• Like 5

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I don't see anything wrong with the "putting 40 hours into unlocking a demanded character" part. In the 90's, you'd play games like Soul Blade, Tekken, Battle Arena Toshinden or Mortal Kombat and need to beat the game with every character in order to unlock the boss as a playable character. This is nothing new, even now, games like Lego Marvel Super Heroes (supposedly a kid's game... yeah right lol) requires about 40 hours worth of play or more to unlock Deadpool as a character. This is not unfair in my eyes.

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Yeah, I guess its a matter of perspective. I am the supreme treadmill mule and ~40H is nothing to me for presumably one of the best characters in the game. And I will confess to some ignorance. Afaik, SWBF2 is a fully realized online shooter where you start out as the n00b with your trusty starting rifle and get better gear as you go. Is this correct? Every single special character can be ground out? Are there any aspects of the game whatsoever that can only be accessed by paying more than the base game price?

I don't see anything wrong with the "putting 40 hours into unlocking a demanded character" part. In the 90's, you'd play games like Soul Blade, Tekken, Battle Arena Toshinden or Mortal Kombat and need to beat the game with every character in order to unlock the boss as a playable character. This is nothing new, even now, games like Lego Marvel Super Heroes (supposedly a kid's game... yeah right lol) requires about 40 hours worth of play or more to unlock Deadpool as a character. This is not unfair in my eyes.

All heroes are already locked behind up to three gates. The first gate is faction. Your desired hero is inaccessible simply as a consequence of what team the  game put you on without you having any choice. The second is exclusive to galactic assault, and the character has to be earned in the match using Battle Points. These Battle Points can range from 60k to 80k depending on the map. The last gate is exclusivity, if anyone else is playing the hero, you can not.

It's not unheard of, especially when the heroes cost 80k, for the map to end before you can even use them.

To borrow your analogy. It would be as if you had to beat the game with every character, then you had to get to the final boss again, then flip a coin. And if the coin came up heads, you could use it for one fight. And you have to repeat that process from scratch to get a character to appear when the coin lands on tails.

I get where you're coming from. And this would be actually a whole different conversation if you could play entire galactic assault matches with these characters. But you can't. You already have to earn them. Why earn them twice with a ridiculous grind?

• Like 5

Swiped shamelessly from the funny things thread.

MrEjdIe.jpg

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Battlefront 2, the Star Wars game? I thought not, it's not a story that DICE would tell you. It's an EA legend. Star Wars Battlefront2 was a computer game so anticipated and desired that PR could manipulate buyers to create preorders. They had such knowledge of human nature that they could even promise not to have any paid DLC* to not fragment the user base when planning on having lootboxes instead. Concentrated PR is a path to many purchasing decisions some consider to be impetuous. The PR strategy was so successful the only thing they feared was not making as much profit as they could from their players- which eventually, of course, they failed to do. Unfortunately 40 hours to unlock a hero and a reliance on lootboxes caused many to cancel their preorders and save their money. Ironic, they tried to shamelessly milk their userbase but ended up reducing it instead.

2kgames: is it possible to learn this power?

*so the one thing BF2 won't actually have is literal high ground dlc. Isn't it ironic, don't you think?

• Like 4

It's like rain... on your wedding day ;)

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Lmao Alanis should be the meme for today's modern gaming community, that would be awesome yet terribly sad :p

"Yo dawg, we heard you like paying so we put a F2P model in your $60 game so you can pay while you pay..."

This is why I can see people being mad. It’s the idea of components of free to play games slipping into $60 Games. Either you pay $60 for the game or yeah, spend 40 hours to unlock that character like you would in a free to play game. I think that’s the problem.

• Like 2

Shame the old style of shooters where you're just given access to weapons and let at each other are dead.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

This is why I can see people being mad. It’s the idea of components of free to play games slipping into $60 Games. Either you pay $60 for the game or yeah, spend 40 hours to unlock that character like you would in a free to play game. I think that’s the problem.

I think they call that double-dipping.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Yeah, there's nothing like that in EA games. Crap's all server-side and account-based.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

There's nothing wrong with server-based/account games, tons of great games from other devs and pubs are. The problem is the systems that lock out players from fair play. If you release a "competitive" game, why put limits on experienced players and nerf them to the point where there's no reason or real motivation to play?

And the anti-hack is good reason for preventing anyone from doing that. I suppose you guys did not read what happened with the server-side account based mp game called Dead By Daylight... where hacks were being exploited. Or let me guess, now it's a different matter for the devs and pubs not protecting their product :p