What are you playing now

Rosbjerg

Yet another Dungeons & Dragons game under my belt now! :biggrin:

Tales from Candlekeep: Tomb of Annihilation. (Thank you, Steam sales! I had it on my wishlist there.)

It's perfect on a laptop or iPad, and it plays a bit like Pathfinder Adventures, but without cards, but rather a turn-based system like in D:OS.

But hey, it's my beloved D&D, and it has a lot of character (but too few characters), nice Moody music and effects, and I get to visit Chult again (last time was Storm of Zehir for me).

It's a nice timekiller game with a pretty neat loot system. Sure, it's repetitive, but I don't mind that one bit.

Q5AE1r.jpg

iiLK6Y.jpg

Q5AE1r.jpg

wO7xii.jpg

2gUDB6.jpg

MLQv3F.jpg

Just seeing that my characters get to throw initiative rolls, and my having set the game so that I'll have to roll my d20s manually, get my juicies flowing. I still get a kick out of a natural 20.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Ironically, I thought the combat was the best part of D:OS ( even if it did take forever), it was the godawful writing and cringeworthy humor that lost me and made it so that I couldn't stomach more than a couple hours of the game. I haven't played the sequel, nor do I intend to. Is the combat essentially the same in the sequel.

The addition of physical and magical armor points which you have to whittle down before damaging HP changes the game. Now in order to add status effects enemies need to have no armor; the game seems to favor hybrid classes since there are many benefits and min maxing your build and skills can be quite fun.

Enemies are a bigger hassle since in a lot of instances the game decides to give them terrain advantage (although there are ways to get around it if you explore) and levels are like in D&D where just one level makes a massive difference, but that's because enemies have more stats per level, just a two level difference might mean a 1 hit kill. The strategic placing of surfaces from the first game is gone, no longer are you able to play control mage because of the armor system. More so enemies have exclusive skills that allow them to teleport directly to you bypassing any surface. Now I have to damage myself with surfaces whilst having a support mage keep magic armor up. It almost feels like a joke at times; I can tolerate frogs jumping up in the air and appearing next to you but when a giant crocodile has a skill called "scale-portation" I don't know what to make of it.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Scale-portation! What a croc.

Good God, that was funny, man! bwahahahaha I almost want to riff on the pun, but why mess with perfection?

Right now I'm playing the forum game in the few minutes between getting home and then heading right back out. Dinner at the out-laws house. If you don't from me soon, I didn't go on any long trips and I have no intention of harming myself. If I survive dinner, I'm going to finish off the level with Emily. I've learned to check my stats just in case some unfortunate mishap. Best to know right away than finish the level and have one poor bastard killed off.

• Like 1

χαίρετε

I think my mom thinks I'm still a kid.  She insists on getting me a game for Christmas, and even goes through the ritual of wrapping it and putting it under her tree for when I come visit.

So imagine my shock (not really) when I visit her for Christmas and Assassin's Creed is waiting for me under the tree.

• Like 5

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I think my mom thinks I'm still a kid.  She insists on getting me a game for Christmas, and even goes through the ritual of wrapping it and putting it under her tree for when I come visit.

So imagine my shock (not really) when I visit her for Christmas and Assassin's Creed is waiting for me under the tree.

I sure hope that is not a complaint, parents will always treat their kids as children. You can't seriously treat someone as an adult once you had to change their nappy, so give them a break. At least they know what you like, so you're blessed.

• Like 4
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I sure hope that is not a complaint, parents will always treat their kids as children. You can't seriously treat someone as an adult once you had to change their nappy, so give them a break. At least they know what you like, so you're blessed.

Oh, I just think it's cute/amusing more than anything.  It's just funny to me that she essentially does the same thing now that she did back when I was a kid and had a list for Santa.

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I don't think I like Endless Space 2. Its politics are kind of lame. All the AI seems to care about is border friction and score. Like, why are they attacking me when my fleet crushed them in the last three wars? Oh right, because I have a low score and we have border friction.

I'm also in an alliance, but literally anyone in the alliance can declare war at any time and I have no idea who did it. And it drags us all in. We almost beat the game, crushed the last opposition to us, we're sieging the last planet, when that planetbusting-for-no-reason Horatio accepted a truce. I declared war the next round. Nothing stopped me. And we won.

There's no nuance. No memory. Nobody hates you for your race or past actions. If you spend the entire beginning kidnapping their population for food, so long as you get enough score, they'll gladly join an alliance with you later on. And once you have an alliance, they'll still constantly threaten you over border friction, but they'll never do anything about it. There's no defense treaties, no alliance voting, just lots of complaining that I should come and help when I'm busy fighting a war on another front you %#@##@^#^$#$&$#!#@$*&^%.

The main draw I got the game for was the stories. But... they're pretty lame too. I played the Vodyani. Really cool flavor, a spacebound race of holy pirates. They go around kidnapping people for food. The main character of the metaplot is the leader of the Vodyani's brother! She hates him, calls him the heretic! And the religious option in the metaplot is, of course, to help him? wat I could not tell what was going on. At one point you're practically reforming the Vodyani government to not be religious anymore, then you're blowing up planets out of spite against the Endless? And it ends with you taking over the academy? And no word about what'll be done to the brother, just that someone more trustworthy should run it.

This is a race that worships the endless and is looking to ascend! But it ends with them deciding to run a school.

I also think heroes are kind of cool, but the ones you get are random and the chances of you getting one that can be on your senate end up being slim. Then the metaplot stops you from being able to get any new ones practically the moment midgame starts.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Ironically, I thought the combat was the best part of D:OS ( even if it did take forever), it was the godawful writing and cringeworthy humor that lost me and made it so that I couldn't stomach more than a couple hours of the game. I haven't played the sequel, nor do I intend to. Is the combat essentially the same in the sequel.

No, Larian fxxked up DOS2 combat. the additional physical/magic armor system makes it difficult to play as a mixed damage party and renders ground effect useless. The round-robin initiative system makes your investment on initiative meaningless. Crafting is gutted. The scaling is exponential so that a level 18 character has nearly double life/damage of a level 16 character, as a result you have to keep visiting shopkeepers to keep your gears updated or you'll be at a major disadvantage.

The story is better and more serious though. If you think DOSEE writing is cringeworthy then you would probably like DOS2 plot and story.

• Like 2

Dark Souls 3.

Still trying to beat the first boss. It's the kind of thing where you need to be able to tell what animations signal what moves, and how to counter them. Until you have it all figured out you just fail again and again.

Trial and error. Endurance has always been a gamer's greatest strength!

χαίρετε

Dark Souls 3.

Still trying to beat the first boss. It's the kind of thing where you need to be able to tell what animations signal what moves, and how to counter them. Until you have it all figured out you just fail again and again.

Trial and error. Endurance has always been a gamer's greatest strength!

Kinda disappointed. The game can't reliably carry out combo moves. I mean, I suppose it could be a controller issue or just me sucking at it. There is this move where you jump back and sweep at the same time. I can do that about 75% of the time doing exactly the same thing, left stick+right button. Tried leading with either slightly or at the same time. Doesn't make a difference. As you can imagine the difference between jumping backwards and lunging forwards is rather significant. I think I've done the kick once by accident. 

I think the tolerances are just bad. PVP considerations perhaps. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I remember when I first played DS1, I never used the kick or jump attack attack because I was using a cheap Logitech controller that just would not do it more than 25% of the time. Later, I went to an Xbox 360 controller and it become way, way easier to do consistently (although still not quite perfectly consistent).

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I picked up Planescape Torment Enhaced Edition Steam Edition since it was only $6 something :)

YAY ME!

• Like 3

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I finished the first full level of Dishonoted 2. Then I went to the prison and I just decided to go a different route. I subdued everyone. I saved the civilian being hassled by the guards and then subdued her and the guards. No detection and hopefully no bodies found. I just figured no one can find a body if everyone is sleeping at the same time. There is literally no one left who isn't choked out, darted, or mine zapped into slumber. I just cured ol' short, slight, and sinister and now it's time to go back to my contact and beat feet.

EDIT: ...And No! Every single mook was asleep when I left the place and so I didn't worry about hiding them. Still, 6 bodies detected. however, since I wasn't detected I got ghost anyhow.

Edited by Epaminondas
  • Like 1

χαίρετε

So I decided to get a couple of DLCs for FO4, but I'm unsure at what point during the game I can access them.  Thus far (I'm early and just visiting Nick Valentine to get him to help me find Shaun), neither seem to be available.