What are you playing now

Rosbjerg

I solved the first one after the intro basically by accident.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Trying Secret of Mana on the SNES mini, since it's one of the few co-op games available (the games list overall isn't particularly impressive past the first dozen or so). In short, it's ...not very good. Combat, the hitboxes in particular, is janky as hell. Ran into trouble with an early boss and the consensus advice on the internet is "just grind more". Yeah, not a good impression.

Back then with games like dragon warrior, final fantasy, and such being the rpgs from Nintendo, those games were designed around grinding a bit. Also had the TES mentality before TESS came out in that u leveled up ur weapons and magic by using them.

Rule of thumb for the old games, u basically grind until u have the money for the latest gear and also ur main weapons/magic are leveled up, unless u want a challenge.

Also with combat, watch your stamina in that u want to attack when it's full and back away and/or move.

It's on the snes because it was one of the first milestones for being "colorful" (aka graphics) and also it's got a good set up in locations/enemy design/atmosphere/music.

Combat is supposed to be the challenge of the game since there's really no puzzles (except the different seasons maze). It had the stamina bar combat setup so u just didn't beat it easy mode by button mashing really fast.

Multiplayer though...yeah, it was I believe one of the first attempts to have a rpg that wasn't single player. As someone who lived off this game when I was kid for many many hours, the multiplayer back then was ****ty or not worth doing which was fine because I was used to single player rpgs anyways. I remember they even designed a port to have more than 2 controllers for this game but never bought it.

I woulda loved if the snes mini had secret of evermore on it. It's very similar to secret of Mana combat wise but had a really really good atmosphere. OMG I loved the music in it.

I really should make another effort at replaying PoE and doing the White March....  but at the moment I've started up Divinity: Original Sin EE since I picked it up in the winter sales.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Trying Secret of Mana on the SNES mini, since it's one of the few co-op games available (the games list overall isn't particularly impressive past the first dozen or so). In short, it's ...not very good. Combat, the hitboxes in particular, is janky as hell. Ran into trouble with an early boss and the consensus advice on the internet is "just grind more". Yeah, not a good impression.

Back then with games like dragon warrior, final fantasy, and such being the rpgs from Nintendo, those games were designed around grinding a bit. Also had the TES mentality before TESS came out in that u leveled up ur weapons and magic by using them.

Rule of thumb for the old games, u basically grind until u have the money for the latest gear and also ur main weapons/magic are leveled up, unless u want a challenge.

Also with combat, watch your stamina in that u want to attack when it's full and back away and/or move.

It's on the snes because it was one of the first milestones for being "colorful" (aka graphics) and also it's got a good set up in locations/enemy design/atmosphere/music.

Combat is supposed to be the challenge of the game since there's really no puzzles (except the different seasons maze). It had the stamina bar combat setup so u just didn't beat it easy mode by button mashing really fast.

Multiplayer though...yeah, it was I believe one of the first attempts to have a rpg that wasn't single player. As someone who lived off this game when I was kid for many many hours, the multiplayer back then was ****ty or not worth doing which was fine because I was used to single player rpgs anyways. I remember they even designed a port to have more than 2 controllers for this game but never bought it.

I woulda loved if the snes mini had secret of evermore on it. It's very similar to secret of Mana combat wise but had a really really good atmosphere. OMG I loved the music in it.

I did try the multiplayer of Final Fantasy 6 since that's also on the machine. I have to give Secret of Mana credit for making an earnest attempt at implementing multiplayer, while FF6's is utterly pointless. (It's still ridiculous that you have to play 30-60 minutes of single player before multiplayer is enabled though)

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I did try the multiplayer of Final Fantasy 6 since that's also on the machine. I have to give Secret of Mana credit for making an earnest attempt at implementing multiplayer, while FF6's is utterly pointless. (It's still ridiculous that you have to play 30-60 minutes of single player before multiplayer is enabled though)

Seeing how I probably have more hours in ff6 than any other game I have ever played...I didn't know about the multiplayer. Probably a good thing I didn't know lol.

I still have to get around to playing the White March expansions.

Anyone know how well the console version translated? I have the PC version (obviously), but am tempted to pick up the PS4 version if it's at least on par with the PC one as I prefer playing on my console than my crappy laptop.

From what I've read from people who have actually played both. Pillars is pretty much made for consoles, though it wasn't originally made with consoles in mind. The new UI fits perfectly and surprisingly feels much better than it's pc counterpart. Same with Divinity Original Sin...

I've only played the pc version myself but by everyone saying that, it definitely has made me interested.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Anyone know how well the console version translated? I have the PC version (obviously), but am tempted to pick up the PS4 version if it's at least on par with the PC one as I prefer playing on my console than my crappy laptop.

From what I've read from people who have actually played both. Pillars is pretty much made for consoles, though it wasn't originally made with consoles in mind. The new UI fits perfectly and surprisingly feels much better than it's pc counterpart. Same with Divinity Original Sin...

I've only played the pc version myself but by everyone saying that, it definitely has made me interested.

Interesting.  I think I'll be waiting for a sale, though.  I can't justify paying full price (which is what it currently is at) for the PS4 when I already paid for one of the mid/higher tiers for the PC version.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Interesting. I think I'll be waiting for a sale, though. I can't justify paying full price (which is what it currently is at) for the PS4 when I already paid for one of the mid/higher tiers for the PC version.

It's half off right now I believe on PSN

So after burning through Dishonored 2 and the DLC I've jumped into Prey.  I hate to admit that I'm slightly underwhelmed despite already enjoying a few standout moments.  It feels like it could have done with six months extra polish.  It's certainly not bad...at all.  I'm loving the exploration and the mimic gimmick is neat but I'm not feeling any of the dread that people keep talking about.   The environments feel too bright and optmistic, the enemies (for the most part) just mindlessly patrol.

In a nutshell, love the systems and exploration, dislike the vibe and janky combat.

The one downfall of having too many companions is I never know which one to bring along and which to send to Sanctuary Hills to pick up at a later time.

I've currently got McCreedy with me.  He seems to like it when I steal stuff, so that's a bonus.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I've been thinking of getting Prey, WDeranged, but I have so many games already that I think I need to finish some of them. My nephews convinced me to buy Layers of Fear. I want to play Death of the Outsider after I finish my current run of Dishonored 2. I'm the time travel section and it just plays so much better for me than the clockwork mansion. Only part of the game that has a spooky feel for me. After DotO, I plan on doing Layers of Fear and I'll save my second run of INSIDE for school because it's kind of a game that you can play to unwind a few minutes and put aside quickly when you have to stop.

• Like 1

χαίρετε

Finally finished Elex. Very enjoyable overall though it does have the same problem most PB games have- its difficulty curve means that exploration at the start is extremely dangerous but by the time you're Combat King a lot of the impetus for exploration is lost since you don't really need another bit of scrap metal and a healing potion by then. Plus it's hard to remember where you've already been and where you've already been but had to run away screaming like a baby because there were some non feeble monsters there. Assuming we get a sequel I'd have no hesitation whatsoever preordering again.

Joined the clerics, romanced Nasty (primarily because it meant I could say something about 'doing the nasty'; plus after Bioware romance having someone say basically "OK, let's smash" made me laugh) and spiked the Hybrid with Mana.

• Like 4

Interesting. I think I'll be waiting for a sale, though. I can't justify paying full price (which is what it currently is at) for the PS4 when I already paid for one of the mid/higher tiers for the PC version.

It's half off right now I believe on PSN

I don't like buying digital.  I prefer a physical copy.

I'm not feeling any of the dread that people keep talking about.

Yeah, I'm not sure why people mention dread (since there's next to none in Prey) and why would anybody even expect to find it there, considering Prey is not actually a horror game (and it never really got marketed as such). Talos I also happens to be designed as a place to live in as opposed to a horror environment - which is realistic, but not particularly scary. Whole game is rather detached, and poposedly so.

I'm not feeling any of the dread that people keep talking about.

Yeah, I'm not sure why people mention dread (since there's next to none in Prey) and why would anybody even expect to find it there, considering Prey is not actually a horror game (and it never really got marketed as such). Talos I also happens to be designed as a place to live in as opposed to a horror environment - which is realistic, but not particularly scary. Whole game is rather detached, and poposedly so.

Yeah, but is it *good?*

χαίρετε

Call of Juarez: The game hasn't aged well. The plot is quite horrible, voice acting is all over the place ( typical Techland game) and the level designer should have been shot. At least the game is short, I'm almost finished and I've played about 5 hours. For 2,50 euros I don't think I've gotten much. Hopefully the sequels are at least somewhat better.

Game of Thrones - Telltale game: I'm quite liking it so far, even though it is still annoying as **** that you can't really do anything correctly in these games. No matter what you choose, you are ****ed. I think my Telltale quota will be quite full for a while after I finish this one.

Hate the living, love the dead.

No matter what you choose, you are ****ed. I think my Telltale quota will be quite full for a while after I finish this one.

That sounds like a feature.

I am reminded of more than one developer's plea to the public at the 2008 E3, "[buy ours!] You can succeed in our game!".

Edited by Gizmo