What are you playing now

Rosbjerg

While both Cold Steel and Sky play off of anime tropes (usually by subverting them in clever ways), I like the Sky series more because it uses 90's anime trope rather than the more modern ones of Cold Steel. If tropy-ness is a mental hurdle for you (as it sometimes is for me with jrpgs), I would suggest playing Sky first.

I actually tried playing Sky a couple of weeks ago. In terms of avoiding tropiness, I note the tutorial quest is to fight rats in a sewer. Yeah... I kinda quit right after that.

It's not just that one quest design of course, it was a combination of that alongside the clunky UI and controls, time-consuming (but trivial) fights and animations, blocky graphics and mediocre artstyle. Maybe I'll jump ahead and try Cold Steel someday, but these games seem to be holding their price, haven't seen any big discounts for anything but Sky1.

I realise its limitations are rooted in the fact it's a port of a 2004 game on a mobile platform, but it feels distinctly 90s not just in style as mentioned in previous posts, but in usability.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Think I'm going to replay The Last of Us until my new system arrives.  It's the only game on my old system that's actually fully digital and thus, I don't need access to the broken disc drive to use.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I scooped up Watch_Dogs 2 for PS4 for a measly $17 in Walmart's Cyber Monday sale.  Dunno when I'll get to play it, though, as I'll be bust with Dragon Quest Heroes 2 for quite a while, I think.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm going to order Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus for the Xbox One X. Best version of the game from what I've heard(on consoles). I'll be getting a 4K OLED TV next month so it'll be interesting to see how the game looks like at native 4K @ 60fps.

Edited by Katphood

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

I thought about getting The New Colossus, but I opted for Dishonored. I've kind of lurked around here for a while and I saw that some people liked Dishonored and now that I've

saved Lady Emily

I can safely say that the game is addicting and absolutely brilliant. I was careful to avoid story spoilers about the games, but the single cutscene I saw of Dishonored 2 was enough that I'm certain who the other main character is in that game. Definitely a wise choice. I was afraid that Dishonored would look dated, but I've got all the video settings maxed and it's impressive. Still, the typical apocalyptic dinginess, drabiness, and dreariness. Nevertheless, there are some beautiful visuals in there. It's easy enough that on the hard setting I still get through quickly. I used to do all these games on hardest, but I have neither the time nor inclination to waste on vanity settings. However, I will play this game again on either normal or hard and do a complete stealth run. In that regard, it reminds me of getting Silent Assassin in Hitman. I figured it was a mistake, but I took double dark, double... shift or whatever the first power is, a sprint, a time, and a health so far. I was sorely tempted by the rat one, which for a guy who drops bodies from time to time, that rat thing might come in handy to dispose of the evidence. A lot of freedom in choosing how to approach problems in this game, which is entirely like the Hitman series. In fact, I think it might be more like Blood Money than any other game I've played so far.

χαίρετε

I fired up Watch_Dogs 2 for just a few minutes, just out of curiosity and got a kick out of the fact that DedSec apparently uses Linux, as "Ext4-fs" came up on the "terminal" that shows during the initial loading screen.  For those not familiar, Ext4 is the 4th extended filesystem, the most widely used filesystem on Linux, on desktops, anyway, these days.  I guess it makes sense that a group of rebel hacker kids would use Linux for their own OS, though I'm a bit disappointed they still use Ext4 instead of the more advanced btrfs.  Anyway, it's too bad Ubi hasn't ported this game to Linux, it would be mildly amusing to be running a game that has a fictional group running Linux on Ext4 while running on Linux on Ext4...

Xzibit.png

Although, in my case it wouldn't work since I use btrfs, plus I already got the game for PS4...  so never mind.  :p

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The universe is taunting me.  All the games I ordered (from Amazon) on Black Friday have arrived already, but I'm still waiting on the actual console (from Best Buy) that I got on Black Friday to arrive.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

^ I feel for you, Ghost.

/eHugs Ghost

//Holds on a little too long to make it awkward

Now we know what username Harvey Weinstein posts under on here!

[/too soon?]

• Like 4

The universe is taunting me.  

Yeah, same here. I wanted to order Wolfenstein 2 yesterday but as soon as I call back to the shop, someone else has already bought the last copy. :(

Tried a short run in Shadow of War to get back into after not playing for a month. God damn it was frustrating. Every freaking time I try to get somewhere I got ambushed by an orc captain who was immune to nearly every single attack I've got. And when I do get the upper hand, I kept getting interupted by normal orcs..so when I try targetting the normal orcs..the freaking auto target would then pick the captain who is IMMUNE to the freaking attack rather than the orcs that keep hitting me. >_<

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Tried a short run in Shadow of War to get back into after not playing for a month. God damn it was frustrating. Every freaking time I try to get somewhere I got ambushed by an orc captain who was immune to nearly every single attack I've got. And when I do get the upper hand, I kept getting interupted by normal orcs..so when I try targetting the normal orcs..the freaking auto target would then pick the captain who is IMMUNE to the freaking attack rather than the orcs that keep hitting me. >_<

Maybe you should just buy the Loot box? I'm sure that's what they were aiming for anyways.

• Like 5
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I've decided on the staff as my favored weapon in Dragon Quest Heroes 2, in no small part because of the ability to drop meteors on enemies. Now I'm trying to decide whether I want to be a martial artist or a priest, as both classes can use a staff. Presumably, the martial artist will be tougher and have more HP, while the Priest will have higher wisdom and more MP. Also, there are class-specific abilities to consider. Currently I'm grinding to get my priest level up to 17 to match my martial artist level, so that I can compare the 2 on an even field.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Tried Uncharted The Lost Legacy, by the time I got to the main tomb, I'd given up the will to live. Great gfx and acting though, but TR is still the king/queen.

Star Ocean The Last Hope Remastered dropped yesterday so I've been playing that again (played it on 360 originally), it's pretty sweet, really enjoying it.

Thanks for shopping Pawn-O-Matic!

Tried Uncharted The Lost Legacy, by the time I got to the main tomb, I'd given up the will to live. Great gfx and acting though, but TR is still the king/queen.

Star Ocean The Last Hope Remastered dropped yesterday so I've been playing that again (played it on 360 originally), it's pretty sweet, really enjoying it.

UC: The Lost Legacy was one of my impulse buys.  It was on sale during Black Friday, so it's the first game I popped in when I got my new PS4 Pro up and running.  I'm very early in, though, so I don't really have an opinion on it yet.

If Claudia Black is in it, I'm there. I'm a simple man.

I thought Lost Legacy was a decent-ish Uncharted game. 4 is probably my absolute favorite still, and it did not come near challenging that. The harshest I can say of Lost Legacy is that it felt like an obligation. But not an unwelcome one.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

UC: The Lost Legacy was one of my impulse buys.  It was on sale during Black Friday, so it's the first game I popped in when I got my new PS4 Pro up and running.  I'm very early in, though, so I don't really have an opinion on it yet.

I'd say it'll look great on a pro. I have a standard and a really old TV and it looks great on that!

Lost Legacy is that it felt like an obligation.

That is a pretty accurate description, it's not in the same league as the main games, no heart.

I thought Lost Legacy was a decent-ish Uncharted game. 4 is probably my absolute favorite still, and it did not come near challenging that. The harshest I can say of Lost Legacy is that it felt like an obligation. But not an unwelcome one.

I actually thought UC4 dragged at times.  The middle chapters could have been condensed a bit, IMO.

Overall, though, a good game.

FFXV on a PS4 Pro with a 1080 40" and 50" TV ... main differences I notice (for this game) are: a little better AA/smoothing, better texture draw distance, particularly 'floor' textures that don't blur 10 feet away from your chrs. feet, more high contrast lighting (less washed out looking in some situations), a somewhat smoother/faster "feel" (from higher fps I'd guess?) overall. But some things I'd noticed didn't improve/were apparently just the game itself, like this weird half to 1 second freeze when AI players load into the meeting camp , in Comrades DLC. Or maybe a SSD would be needed for that.

It'll allow me to pick "4k" for screenshot size (not that I need them that size), and 1080 for video recording size, instead of 720. Video playback definitely looks somewhat better that way which for me is probably the most desirable thing. :p

Anyway ... there are some noticeable differences but all fairly minor, for this game anyway. Sometimes depends partly on game dev's implementation, as I understand it. Probably not worth $400 in my case but dang it I was curious to know with my own eyeballs. Now I know. And hubby's shaking his head at me again.  :p

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

U4 is the worst in the main series. And TLL is just a rehash of old action scenes and dialogue. The only thing they have going for them is the graphics and the usual movement stuff and shooting is good too. 

1.13 killed off Ja2.

I enjoyed Uncharted 3 the most. Still haven't played The Lost Legacy but I heard that the gameplay burrows a few things from MGS V which should be a good thing, but I'll be sure to play Quantum Break on the Xbox before I try TLL. Remedy doesn't disappoint.

I've thought about getting Fallout 4, but I just wasn't feeling it. I did enjoy Fallout 3 and I loved Fallout New Vegas, but I didn't have time to play when Fallout 4 came out and now it's like... meh. Kind of like when you think there's a tasty slice of cake in the kitchen, but it just ain't worth getting up to get it.

I'm tasked with what my fellow conspirators tell me is the final assassination in Dishonored. Of course, I don't trust any of them. Even if I take the heart as honest, there are still a few people in my own camp who are less than wholesome. I do appreciate that I've managed to finish at least three quests without killing the main target, but I haven't managed to finish any without killing at least a couple of people. I know it's possible to get through each without killing and, in fact, being seen because the mission debriefing has achievements showing for these. I've managed to get almost all the runes and find all the shrines. I probably trust the outsider guy about as much as anyone but that's owing to the fact that I don't trust anyone at all. Maybe the guy who steers the boat and the kid Emily.

...And

turns out that boatman came through for me in the end. Well, he only halfway poisoned me at least. Heart was honest after all.

Edited by Epaminondas

χαίρετε