The Food Thread

Keyrock

Why are people's favorite Chinese take out dishes?

My current favorite is Singapore Mei Fun. Mei Fun is the super thin rice noodles and the Singapore variant uses every protein the restaurant has available (usually beef, chicken, pork, shrimp, and eggs) and adds curry powder and other spices to give it a kick.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

My favorite is "pork in garlic sauce" w/ combination fried rice. Crab rangoon (its hard to find good ones), won ton soup and char siu usually make an appearance too. My neighbor a few doors down brough me a plate of homemade shrimp and chicken chow mien, which is the first time Ive ever eaten it, and it was pretty awesome. 

Hot and sour soup, Mongolian beef, and chicken fried rice. If you mean more authentic then I don't really have a good answer for you as I've only been to a "real" Chinese food spot twice and a friend of mine ordered everything as the menus were in Cantonese. My favorite thing we ate there was some kind of snail in a dark brown sauce.

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

^ Nah, I mean any ol' Chinese take out. It doesn't have to come from a fancy schmancy restaurant.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I should add I'm also partial to Ma Po Bean Curd (Tofu), though it's hard to find a place that cooks it right where the peas still have some texture and aren't completely mush.

That's kind of a running theme of low-end restaurants (of any kind) where they tend to overcook the vegetables. I always take note of a place where I get peas with some texture, carrots with a bit of snap to them, broccoli with some crunch, etc.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

am ez and boring insofar as chinese food.  we always try shrimp filled wonton noodle soup to see if is like the stuff we had in hong kong.  otherwise, am all 'bout the fun-- beef chow fun is our default choice.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Caprese Salad

TmoWENg.jpg

I didn't have whole leaf basil, only chopped, so I lose some presentation points.

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

• 2 weeks later...

Salmon with Pommery mustard, dill, capers, and lemon. Served with some roasted veggies and rice.

Oven baked Salmon is one of the best things I can make for myself (and easy to clean up afterwards too!). A bit of baking paper in a tray, a squirt of olive oil, add lots of Salmon (boneless but with skin on one side) and cover with a bit of dill and alu-foil. Leave for 25 minutes at 220C in a fan force oven. Being lazy, I usually improvise steamed vegetables by throwing some cauliflower and broccoli in in a plastic bowl with a bit water in it and cook it for 10 minutes in the microwave. Lemon is good. I sometimes always add a bit of tartar sauce too. Mostly because I love the stuff and need an excuse to have it :grin:

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Salmon with Pommery mustard, dill, capers, and lemon. Served with some roasted veggies and rice.

Oven baked Salmon is one of the best things I can make for myself (and easy to clean up afterwards too!). A bit of baking paper in a tray, a squirt of olive oil, add lots of Salmon (boneless but with skin on one side) and cover with a bit of dill and alu-foil. Leave for 25 minutes at 220C in a fan force oven. Being lazy, I usually improvise steamed vegetables by throwing some cauliflower and broccoli in in a plastic bowl with a bit water in it and cook it for 10 minutes in the microwave. Lemon is good. I sometimes always add a bit of tartar sauce too. Mostly because I love the stuff and need an excuse to have it :grin:

being lazy is precise why we started steaming vegetables as kinda our default.  we prefer to roast stuff, but doing so takes more time. and we also end up with a largeish bowl coated in olive oil which then needs be cleaned.

sit one o' those metal steamer baskets in a pot with 1/8th inch water. requires little water to produce needed steam. takes less than a minute to bring to boil.  takes less than two minutes to steam most veggies. dump steamed veggies in a colander and run under cold water for a few seconds to stop the cooking.  season as desired. done.

lazy has us steaming everything... though at the moment, asparagus is just becoming available in our area.  big and tender stuff.  shoots as big 'round as wilson fisk's thumb. dunno why we always thought the skinny asparagus would be better, but is actual the big and thicker shoots which is tastier and more tender. we will roast or grill asparagus when it is at its bestest.  contrary to expectations, there is limits to our sloth.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Short ribs have been in the slow cooker for almost a full day now and I can't walk anywhere near the kitchen without my mouth watering

On the menu for tonight is short ribs with red peppers, black garlic hummus, and pita

• Like 2

Short ribs have been in the slow cooker for almost a full day now and I can't walk anywhere near the kitchen without my mouth watering

On the menu for tonight is short ribs with red peppers, black garlic hummus, and pita

That really sounds delicious, what time should I come for  dinner? I will bring alcohol  :dancing:  

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/62397-the-most-definitive-hamburger-website-ever/page-1

http://www.cheeseandburger.com/

Excellent news guys, I thought I would resurrect this old thread around different types of Cheese Burgers

I see this website has updated some burger recipes and ideas. What I love about this website is the hamburger components are easy to understand and everything looks  utterly delicious as usual

When I move to Cpt I intend to reinvest in some of these gastronomic  ideas  :yes:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

• 2 weeks later...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu

The almost impossible has happened, I have discovered a cheese even  I wont eat 😲

• Gasp! 2

John Milton 

On 4/5/2019 at 1:53 PM, Keyrock said:

Why are people's favorite Chinese take out dishes?

Mongolian beef, but not with that thick brown sauce/coating. Sadly the place I used to like to get it from for years closed, and I've found no replacement outside of making it myself. Beyond that, probably just BB Pork chow mien, especially if it has a lot of bean sprouts and onions. I used to like beef chow mien but most reasonably-priced restaurants use the worst cuts of beef these days, or it feels like it's only half-cooked, either situation resulting in that rubbery type of texture, and I avoid most of it.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• 2 weeks later...

curious

is a large % of recipes we got which call for canola "or other neutral oil." the thing is, Gromnir ain't a fan o' canola, but all too often we use anyway... just 'cause? well, real reason is canola has a longish shelf life and am usual using tablespoons or teaspoon quantities so a decent sized bottle will last us a bit less than eight months, which is a few months short o' when canola goes rancid. still, we don't like canola and am considering experimenting to broaden our horizons.

we have, infrequent, tried a few other options, but nothing seemed like a particular improvement over canola.

folks got input on their alternative "neutral oil"? if you got multiple options (e.g. one for cooking a steak v. a vegetable dish) do not hesitate to share options.

thanks in advance.

HA! Good Fun!

We don't usually go neutral but we also use canola off and on and sometimes safflower or grapeseed oils. Anytime I can use butter I like to go that route and my wife prefers EVOO over pretty much everything else followed by ghee as a distant second.  But as I said we don't often opt for neutral as fries in coconut oil is a favorite of the missus and I like to experiment.

Sorry, probably not very helpful.

Canola really doesn't have a shelf-life any longer than other oils. If it's starting to smell a bit like crayons, it's soiled.

I use EVOO for basically everything. Though I do like Grapeseed oil quite a bit if I need a less heavy oil. A few things I use smart balance for like fried rice and green beans and steak.

I found an amazing Toasted Sandwich cafe 5 minutes walk from, it specializes in toasted cheese and Im ecstatic 🧀

http://www.meltcafe.co.za/

Also tonight we going to a French theme restaurant that focuses on off cuts and uses the whole animal in its meals, take a look at the dinner menu. Im planning on having Ox Heart or Sweetbread for dinner 

https://www.latete.co.za/#menu

John Milton 

13 hours ago, Gromnir said:

curious

is a large % of recipes we got which call for canola "or other neutral oil." the thing is, Gromnir ain't a fan o' canola, but all too often we use anyway... just 'cause? well, real reason is canola has a longish shelf life and am usual using tablespoons or teaspoon quantities so a decent sized bottle will last us a bit less than eight months, which is a few months short o' when canola goes rancid. still, we don't like canola and am considering experimenting to broaden our horizons.

we have, infrequent, tried a few other options, but nothing seemed like a particular improvement over canola.

folks got input on their alternative "neutral oil"? if you got multiple options (e.g. one for cooking a steak v. a vegetable dish) do not hesitate to share options.

thanks in advance.

HA! Good Fun!

I like sunflower oil for grilling and brazing. It has a high smoke point compared to canola or vegetable oils. For pan cooking and veggies I prefer olive oil.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

thanks for input.  that said, am looking for "neutral oil" alternatives. olive oils is decided not neutral.  many o' the neutral oils have short shelf lives. sunflower and safflower is notorious and will go bad quick unless stored special. example: sunflower has a proclaimed shelf life o' two years, but what the sunflower industry folks don't often mention is how such is attainable only at low temps (40F) and in a container with no extra air. am living in an area where summer temps is frequent 'bove 100F, and am using ac less than most o' our neighbors. am suspecting our pantry is not the ideal cool and dry place one might expect.

have avoided grapeseed for cooking 'cause o' the fatty acids created when heat is applied. might give it a try for applications w/o heat but where neutral is demanded.

am curious how gd stores sunflower, or if he goes through fast enough such that storing is a non factor.  have used in past and lasts us three or four months 'fore we begin to notice early onset rancid.

am considering avocado oil for meat cooking 'cause o' high smoke point, but now that am on a fixed income we should probable be more frugal. 

HA! Good Fun!