The Food Thread

Keyrock

Our What's For Dinner Thread has seemed to have gone missing, so here's a new one.

Keyrock's Deluxe Rice & Beans w/ Chicken

Jf8pNWX.jpg

Nothing too fancy: Sauteed green bell peppers, mushrooms, onions, and kidney beans with rice boiled in chicken broth and lemon herb chicken breast along with some garlic salt (I didn't have any garlic cloves on hand), paprika, wasabi powder, and some dill weed.  The one thing I am missing is some peas.  I opened up the cupboard looking to add some peas to the dish for a bit of sweetness and found none.  Oh well, it's still delicious.

• Like 32

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Flat Iron steak slow cooked and a pint of Halo Top ice cream.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

• 2 weeks later...

For once I got out of my part-time job at Papa Johns early enough to get a Jersey Shore Favorite (Mike's Way, of course) at Jersey Mike's.  I am actually giddy with excitement.  You don't know how many times I have finished up my shift and thought "Boy, I could really go for some Jersey Mike's" but it was already too late because they close at 9 PM.  

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I took some of the corn I dried from the garden and ground it up into corn meal in my coffee grinder. I made corn bread from it last night. It was MOST awesome. Still is actually. I'm eating a piece for breakfast right now with a bit of honey and black coffee.

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't have a picture (and it would just look like...soup...anyway) but my favorite thing in winter is wonton soup.  Chicken broth (less salt versions), a bit of minced yellow onion, some flakes of red pepper, a fair number of small pork/cabbage wontons (sometimes I make them, sometimes I buy this one brand's frozen ones) and a couple chopped up baby bok choy bunches. Sometimes I put in extra baked chicken pieces. Boil/simmer for 5-8 minutes. Try not to burn mouth while scarfing it up.

Easy, largely low calorie but filling, tastier and so much cheaper than double-ordering such soup from some restaurant all the time. The bok choy is key, for me - just won't have the right flavor without it in there. Plus it's supposedly a "super food" so I guess that's all right too. Mmm.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday was very likely the last "winter" day here in Charlotte, and by "winter" I mean high 40s (I lived 30 years in Connecticut, high 40s in mid February would be considered Spring-like and worth celebrating in CT).  Today we returned to normal temps in the low 60s with plentiful sunshine, so I decided to break out the ol' grill and grill up some chicken breast and veggies to use for quesadillas for tonight and for lunch the next few days.  I marinated the chicken in Korean BBQ sauce the started cooking them on the grill in a foil pouch, before putting them directly on the grill to sear.  The veggies, consisting of green bell peppers, white onions, and mushrooms, went on the grill in an open foil pouch with butter, essentially steaming them in butter.  Then it all goes in a tortilla and cheese sandwich.

X4bgvkL.jpg

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Mmm, looks tasty. But not big enough.

Why is it that in general I eat so little/feel full quickly but when it comes to certain foods (pizza, chinese, tacos, etc) I can, without thought/feeling full, eat like I'm prepping for an eating contest?

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Certain foods, especially salty ones, tend to initially increase your appetite, making you want to eat more of them, whether you need to or not.  Kind of like how sugary sodas actually initially make you more thirsty, making you want to drink more sugary sodas.  Part of the reason why these foods tend to be so unhealthy.  The trick is to fight off that initial upsurge in hunger/thirst, then you realize you really don't need to eat/drink more.  Easier said than done... 

/pats fat stomach

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

We made a Caesar salad but the missus accidentally bought ranch dressing but with few modifications the dressing turned out pretty decent. I like to char the romaine slightly and fry some capers and throw those in. Yum.

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

We made a Caesar salad but the missus accidentally bought ranch dressing but with few modifications the dressing turned out pretty decent. I like to char the romaine slightly and fry some capers and throw those in. Yum.

My mom is nuts about capers.  I like em too, but maybe not quite as much as she does.  I never thought about charring romaine.  I imagine it has to be done very quickly at very high temp to keep it from wilting.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Suffering through a blizzard currently, so, we're dining appropriately with Irish stew.

Some ....most,? Cook this dish in an oven, I cook it in a really large saucepan (about 12 or so inches high, maybe 8 or so inches diameter..)

Ingredients

1½ kg Stewing Beef (serve 7)

Bouquet of parsley, thyme and bayleaf (or tied up with twine) or dried Herb de Provance (the little jars you can buy in stores) to taste

2-3 large onions, finely chopped

2 red apples skinned, cored and chopped

6 large carrots, chopped into bite-sized pieces

1 large leek, chopped into bite-sized pieces

1 large parsnip, chopped into bite-sized pieces

5 large-ish potatoes, peeled and chopped, eg peel the potatoes and just slice into discs

Half head of cabbage, shredded

1lb processed or Marrowfat Peas

Finely chopped parsley and dash of Worcester Sauce, Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

I.5 lt Beef Stock or Oxtail Soup depending on consistency required.

Chop the onions, fry / sweat in some butter, add the chopped meat and cook until browned, add the rest of the ingredients and pour in the stock, bring to boil and simmer STIRRING AT LEAST EVERY 10 MINUTES, to avoid stuff settling on the bottom and burning over the long cooking period.

Cook for 2 to 3 hours , depending on the consistency required.

Bon appetit. Yeah I know it's french, but the Irish translation is a bit of a mouthful....pardon the pun :)

Edited by Fiach
  • Like 3

Thanks for shopping Pawn-O-Matic!