The Food Thread

Keyrock

Its been rainy and gloomy in CPT this weekend  but  there is only one proven remedy for much melancholic weather ...a cheese fondue never disappoints which is what I will be making for late lunch\dinner 🧀 🧀

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Winter morning and I really wanted instant ramen noodles. They're so bad for you me, nothing but fat, salt and a zillion empty carbs, but oh so tasty now and then.  So I added squash and cabbage, that makes it all right, right?

(I know the pic is terrible/likely unappetizing - but I added lens flare to make up for it! :p )
ramen99.jpg

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Tell me this is not the greatest birthday cake ever!

image.thumb.jpeg.c2e0ddbc52a9c2d4462ae8463e6e9e88.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

That's the kind of cake that I'd want to lacquer and stick on a bookshelf vs. cut it up.  🥇

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

3 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Only if it tastes good, a cool cake that tastes bad is one hell of a disappointment. I got burned like that once.

Tonight I made beef fajitas.

• Hmmm 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

7 hours ago, KaineParker said:

Only if it tastes good, a cool cake that tastes bad is one hell of a disappointment. I got burned like that once.

Kinda goes for all food. Looking delicious and being delicious are, sadly, separate things... :(

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

15 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

I went right past the cake to examining the liquor bottle collection behind it.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I smoked a brisket and it turned out good. Too good because some people including myself ate too much and will probably pass out.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Dinner last night was most awesome. Sunny & I drove down to the Lauderdale river landing and did some fishing from the bank. After just 10 minutes I hooked a nice sized largemouth Bass. All across the USA & world there are pro shops selling billions of dollars worth of fancy lures and fishing tackle. They can keep all that trash. Nightcrawlers, crickets, minnows, & shiners. That is all you will ever need!

The fish was a big enough for two filets. I dipped it in cornmeal batter and pan fried and served up with butterbeans & pear sauce (applesauce made with pears). Freshwater fish is seriously underrated for dinner!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I am having delicious, unctuous lamb chops..I fried them which is best for inside cooking 

I looooooove lamb....its just very expensive relative to beef and pork 

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Yay for the weekend where I can cook my famous English Breakfast 🍳

This time Im having eggs, bacon, toast , hashbrowns and fried banana 

• Like 1

John Milton 

Wait time at In-N-Out grand opening in Aurora hits staggering 14 hours

am recommending shady orders a "double-double, animal style." regardless, even if you do not want the full animal style treatment, "mustard grilled" or "mustard fried" is, in our mind, a necessary addition. when ordering an in-n-out burger, always ask for meat to be mustard grilled/fried... an unnecessary additional demand as is standard when asking for animal style.

congratulations to colorado.

HA! Good Fun!

ps, the in-n-out fries kinda such. we ordinarily ask for our fries to be "well done" but honestly this don't make 'em much better. am understanding you can order 'em "light well," but have never ordered this way. typical we skip fries altogether.  animal style fries is kinda tasty, but is honest too much for us if am already ordering a double-double.

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

19 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

Wait time at In-N-Out grand opening in Aurora hits staggering 14 hours

am recommending shady orders a "double-double, animal style." regardless, even if you do not want the full animal style treatment, "mustard grilled" or "mustard fried" is, in our mind, a necessary addition. when ordering an in-n-out burger, always ask for meat to be mustard grilled/fried... an unnecessary additional demand as is standard when asking for animal style.

congratulations to colorado.

HA! Good Fun!

ps, the in-n-out fries kinda such. we ordinarily ask for our fries to be "well done" but honestly this don't make 'em much better. am understanding you can order 'em "light well," but have never ordered this way. typical we skip fries altogether.  animal style fries is kinda tasty, but is honest too much for us if am already ordering a double-double.

I have a 5 Guys across the street from our in-n-out, and I go there almost exclusively. I guess it is different when you are raised with them. Habit Burger is probably my tops for a good burger chain joint.

2 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

I have a 5 Guys across the street from our in-n-out, and I go there almost exclusively. I guess it is different when you are raised with them. Habit Burger is probably my tops for a good burger chain joint.

They opened up an in-n-out close to me and it's ok, but not worth hour long lines or going out of my way. Bernies Burger Bus was probably the best burger joint around my area, but unfortunately they've gone out of business and the best now is Grub or Hubcap grill.

Fuddruckers is my top burger chain. It's probably a good thing tharlt the closest one to where I live is some 70 miles away, otherwise I'd be fatter than I already am.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I can do without turkey and mashed potatoes, but mac and cheese is really good and I'll always eat it.

21 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Fuddruckers is my top burger chain. It's probably a good thing tharlt the closest one to where I live is some 70 miles away, otherwise I'd be fatter than I already am.

This is a reality many of us grapple with and need to be cognizant of,  its also one of the many advantages of living in the 21st century but also can be a problem. And that is a world where we  are generally surrounded by numerous places to get takeaways and sometimes they cheaper, and mostly more convenient,  than buying food from supermarkets and cooking. And its a real consideration around our diet which is a huge factor in our health

The way I deal with this temptation is I try very hard to stick to my " gastronomic rules " which basically translates to where I dont get takeaways during the week but on the weekends I allow myself that luxury. I have to have these rules because I lack restraint to " not get takeaways  " during the week if I was allowed ;)

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

6 hours ago, KaineParker said:

I can do without turkey and mashed potatoes, but mac and cheese is really good and I'll always eat it.

7 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Kinda glad Thanksgiving is cancelled this year because I don't really like a a lot of Thanksgiving food.

turkey is kinda meh, but we like the other stuff. we got 'bout a dozen sweet potato recipes we rotate through and a half dozen brussel sprout options.  dressing (stuffing) appeals to us as a quixotic endeavour-- why would anyone let bread become stale, dampen with a fluid and then try and bake it into goodness? we have a handful o' dressing/stuffing options we actual do enjoy but am rare having an excuse to use during +11 months of the year.  oh, and we like cranberries.

admitted, w/o a considerable amount o' sweet, cranberries is vile. orange and apple both compliment cranberries well. 

mashed potatoes ain't our thing, but spuds is extreme versatile. is a yukon gold and brussel sprout  combo we use 'round thanksgiving. is a cast iron pan recipe where we fondant the potatoes for extra crispy goodness.  most o' the flavor comes from scotch whiskey and a bit o' balsamic. 

am also admitting that we have become much better at making gravies in the last decade or so. good gravy will make even white meat turkey appetizing.

nevertheless, am gonna enjoy having an excuse this year to not multi-day prepare and cook for thanksgiving.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

My favorite burger chain is Backyard Burgers. I've had In and Out, Red Robin, Steak and Shake, Burger Fi, Habit, Five Guys, etc. BYB > Them. But the best hamburger is Little Jimmie's BBQ in Covington. Don't look for that opening in Colorado though... there is onlt one Little Jimmie. 

• Thanks 1

Thomas Sowell

I found something really interesting at one of my local butcheries today , a mini-pork belly ...only 500  grams but its still pork belly :thumbsup:

So Im having that for dinner tonight, going to roast it in the oven, with buttery mash potatoes 

• Like 1

John Milton