The Food Thread

Keyrock

Time for more pictures. :)

Chicken soup:

K63cTf6.jpg

And yes, that actually is rice in the soup. Might seem strange at first, but try it before you knock it. Beats noodles, egg puffs or anything else in chicken soup any day of the week. Rice must be boiled in the soup (obviously) until nice and soft for maximum flavor. You really need to pay attention that you don't accidentially make risotto, the rice is going absorb on a lot of soup. Put too much in and you might as well end with soupy rice insteady of ricey soup. :p

And... some Chicken paprikash. Oh, yes, the colour is off because we do not add sour cream. Makes it look a lot more like goulash with chicken (which it isn't). You don't make goulash with chicken stock and usually with a lot more onions. Heh.

hbEhYdE.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I thought rice in chicken soup was normal? Chicken and dumplings is the best chicken soup tho.

I'm off today and the temperature dived so it's a good day to bake something, will probably bake some squash and sweet potatoes.

• Thanks 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, majestic said:

Time for more pictures. :)

Chicken soup:

K63cTf6.jpg

And yes, that actually is rice in the soup. Might seem strange at first, but try it before you knock it. Beats noodles, egg puffs or anything else in chicken soup any day of the week. Rice must be boiled in the soup (obviously) until nice and soft for maximum flavor. You really need to pay attention that you don't accidentially make risotto, the rice is going absorb on a lot of soup. Put too much in and you might as well end with soupy rice insteady of ricey soup. :p

And... some Chicken paprikash. Oh, yes, the colour is off because we do not add sour cream. Makes it look a lot more like goulash with chicken (which it isn't). You don't make goulash with chicken stock and usually with a lot more onions. Heh.

hbEhYdE.jpg

Those look delicious, did you make them?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

51 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Those look delicious, did you make them?

Nah. Everything that I cook looks suspiciously like take out or instant noodles/ramen. My mother made that. :)

• Thanks 2

I decided to try making pan seared tuna steak, never tried before:

JZKc8fU.jpg

OLS0Zvj.jpg

82wUshI.jpg

I used maybe a bit too much cayenne, but overall I'd say this was a success.

• Like 5

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Seared tuna is the best way to do it imo, but I've only had success with fresh tuna with frozen tuna tasting just bad. And the lime topo chico is better than grapefruit my dude.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I like all the topo, plain, lime, and grapefruit, but I think I like the grapefruit the best, which is weird, given that I'm a big fan of lime anything.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

12 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

JZKc8fU.jpg

OLS0Zvj.jpg

82wUshI.jpg

Thats a healthy meal and tasty as well 🐠

• Thanks 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Keyrock said:

images

we had to buy a separate cast iron pan for our fish, 'cause the fish always stayed with the pan. for years, to get smell/flavor complete outta our cast iron, we would need do a quasi reasoning where we would grease up the pan up with vegetable shortening and then cook our pan for an hour... or two at 500F.  

got so annoyed we went out and bought a dedicated cast iron pan just for fish.

looks tasty btw.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

5 hours ago, KaineParker said:

I thought rice in chicken soup was normal? Chicken and dumplings is the best chicken soup tho.

It sure isn't here, but good to know other people of fine taste exist as well. :p

Gotta ask what kind of dumplings though. I have a hard time coming up with any that wouldn't be better in a more savory beef broth. Heh.

7 minutes ago, majestic said:

Gotta ask what kind of dumplings though

It's pretty much biscuit dough (the US kind, more of a bread than a sweet treat) that gets cooked in the soup. It's sort of like Matzo Ball soup, but often has some kind of cream or roux or something added to make the broth thicker like a gravy.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, KaineParker said:

It's pretty much biscuit dough (the US kind, more of a bread than a sweet treat) that gets cooked in the soup. It's sort of like Matzo Ball soup, but often has some kind of cream or roux or something added to make the broth thicker like a gravy.

Oh, we have something like that too. It's called Schöberl and is, essentially, biscuit without sugar and it comes in many variants. Mostly used with vegetable or beef broth.

3 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

I use my All-Clad for fish.

we got a rather fancy outdoor grill and that is where we cook most o' our fish. as much as we enjoy fish, we don't like for everything to smell like fish. we default to outdoor cooking of fish. am knowing some folks like to use cedar planks and we do so if we got something which ain't gonna fit in our 10" pan, but the cast iron is the workhorse. better to use cast iron than stainless steel on the grill with all the greasy smoke. 

in the extreme rare scenario we cook a piece o' salmon indoors, perhaps during january or february when is raining, we will break out the steel.

HA! Good Fun!

ps we make fish stock every four months or so. indoors. is a good thing we live solo 'cause am suspecting is no way a significant other would allow us to make fish stock with a nice, long, aromatic simmer. 

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Ah yes, I do tend to cook all my salmon on the grill, usually with a good brown sugar and mustard marinade. 

We get about 5 pounds of salmon a month from a local processing facility. Basically they cut off the ends and send the big pretty part to Costco. We get the ends for a great price from an employee. This stuff is so much fresher than what you get in the stores. 

My son survives off mahi mahi patties from Trader Joes, so that tends to be what ends up in the all-clad. Shrimp is the other staple, and I can see where shrimp would be pretty awesome on a skillet.

I've only done the cedar plank once and it was a weird experience. I ended up with a pretty charred piece of wood. :p

• Like 1

4 hours ago, majestic said:

Oh, we have something like that too. It's called Schöberl and is, essentially, biscuit without sugar and it comes in many variants. Mostly used with vegetable or beef broth.

I will take your word for it, but my googlefu turns up some tasty looking pictures that I would probably enjoy eating.

made duck carnitas. went the multi-day confit approach for the duck. had real mexican coke on hand which we use in the braise and drank as a beverage with the meal. am not sure if the cane sugar makes a difference, but we had a theme, so...

6348526e868276e360b08f79f1aebfffdb5281aa

ate so much. can't move. feeling sleepy and incredibly satisfied.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Breakfast of champions:

tcRCeAP.jpeg

MqOAD4v.jpeg

I wish I could find the person who invented Kaszanka (blood sausage) so that I could hug and kiss them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e617773

culinary confession: when we make pork carnitas, 90% of the time we use our instapot.

takes literal three days to do the duck carnitas if we go confit. takes one hour (less) to do pork carnitas. our pork carnitas usual includes beer, orange juice, lime juice, ancho chiles, mexican oregano, cumin, garlic, salt, onions and sometimes we throw in a cinnamon stick and a bit o' ground cloves for a bit o' extra bite... don't have a specific recipe. 

quick. easy. delicious. 

we prefer duck carnitas, but instapot makes diabolical simple.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

I've pretty much decided that I should buy a house next door to at least one of several forumites so I can drop by for food now and then.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

On 10/30/2020 at 3:53 PM, Keyrock said:

I wish I could find the person who invented Kaszanka (blood sausage) so that I could hug and kiss them.

You could probably hug some of our Greek members in lieu of the real person. It's probably even older than that but the earliest recordings we still have go back to Homer. :)

Have to admit I do prefer the darker variants. Especially when they're just finished and still hot and all creamy. It's not really easy to get your hands on those unless you leave nearby a butcher's shop that sells them fresh out of the boiler, so you can kind of do the next best thing by simply heating them up in water.

Similar to this:

blut-und-leberwurst-mit-kartoffeln-und-s

Don't get me wrong, I also love them roasted with some, well, roasted potatoes and fresh horseradish (and maybe some spicy mustard), but there's something to be said for simply heating them up and enjoying them.

Of course they're also great just cold. Man... I'm hungry now. Damn.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With the pandemic I am working 90 % from home in the lounge and the TV is on broadcasting, in the background,  global news 24\7.......I realised I need a break from news all the time and I have started adding other shows I  follow  to my daily consumption of channels

I started watching reruns of Bizarre Foods America, I love Andrew Zimmerman. He is a real food lover and I appreciate how much he loves unusual food and offcuts like heart, sweetbreads, livers, brain and how he not only personally hunts with guests but eats the whole animal 

He always finds these amazing restaurants throughout the USA that believe in this food philosophy where you believe " we dont waste anything from the animal " which I wholeheartedly support 🥩

John Milton 

^ I wouldn't know, I hate beer.  That's hubby's territory.  While these days he's more discerning re: quality than when we were poor 20 year olds, mostly I think he likes whatever has the biggest box in the store.  :p

There were weekends w/friends in the far far past where I felt he and his cousin's apt. looked basically like this (minus the cobwebs tho, ha):

39985BD400000578-3861266-image-a-41_1477

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts