The Food Thread

Keyrock

Spaghetti sauce day again. (edit - yes I'm too lazy to go totally only from tomato paste, these days)
(I was going to make/post an actual short video but I decided I fail miserably at cooking videos, especially in this tiny old kitchen).

spaghetti-01.jpg

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

That yellow vegetable, what is it? I don't think I've ever seen that.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Mm...it's always just "yellow squash" in the store/common usage from where I'm from. They're in the large and varied summer squash family, basically kind of like zucchini except a lot less bitter and more neutral (and have a curved neck/fatter bottom vs. straight), hence I like them more.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

eggplant

HA! Good Fun!

ps am nonplussed by the admission that the following store bought marinara is actual, well, good: 

rao

that being said, marinara made at home is not complicated, may be customized infinite to suit personal tastes, and is so much cheaper than rao's that am giving a highly qualified recommendation o' the store bought product. 

pps in our previous marinara observations we mentioned 'bout adding a bit o' sugar to your sauce if there is a noticeable acid taste. am knowing some folks will not under any circumstances add sugar to a recipe, so an alternative to the sugar is to chop a medium carrot into three large pieces and simmer along with your sauce-- add with the tomatoes. the carrot won't impart much flavor, particular after a nice long simmer, and the natural sugars from the carrot should take care o' the anticipated acids from other ingredients. 'course you need fish out the carrot before serving.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

14 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Yeah, when we go store bought the we generally get Rao's.

is impossible for a shelf-stable sauce to be other than high in sodium, but rao's did not taste near as salty as we had expected. given our contempt o' store purchased sauce, our approval o' rao's were a legit surprise.

HA! Good Fun! 

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I used to start from tomato paste but since I'm pretty sensitive to acidity I'd simmer it for 6+ hours.  Too lazy to go that long anymore, I'd forget about it and it'd burn or something.  :lol:

We've bought Classico as the quickie starter for ages.  jars are small tho so I add the stewed tomatoes or more tomato sauce. I still find them too acidic but a couple hours and a tiny bit of sugar is fine (hubby hates sweet so I can't use much). Plus I'm the sort who makes a full box of noodles and dumps all the sauce in, so sauce gets absorbed sitting in the fridge etc.  Or sometimes I put it in a casserole dish and bake it 30 min. w/cheese on top.

I don't tend to like spaghetti sauce on noodles just poured immediately direct, it doesn't flavor noodles enough and pasta noodle flavor is meh. To be honest, even tho it can taste good, I largely make it because hubby likes it. If I was single I'd probably never make.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1

oops somehow hit new post instead of edit I guess.

Edited by LadyCrimson

I love adding different ingredients with my cooked English Breakfast, I dont deviate from the normal " bacon, eggs, toast and fried tomato " but I also add additional things to my breakfast. Today I am  including chicken livers 🍳

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

When you've had almost no sweets/pastries of any kind for a long while and then you cave and buy a piece of chocolate cake.

...best chocolate cake ever.

I've never been a huge "chip" eater, but sadly I *am* a munchie sort, and there's only so many apples and pears I can eat. Carrot sticks are not my thing, either.  :lol:    So lately I grab these a lot. Still high carb but low fat/sodium more fiber etc. and I like the sesame seed flavor. Pretty decent when you have munchies.  Handful now and then.

crackers-01.jpg

I eat both of these a lot too.  The dry wheat crackers for snacking/dips (not too many tho), wasa with nut butters/small amount of jam, since outside of sandwiches (or butter toast, rarely eaten) I don't tend to desire bread. The wasa's are smaller/lighter/crunchy and I prefer that, with a very neutral flavor (they don't taste "rye-ish") plus they hardly raise blood sugar, unless maybe you ate the whole package at once I suppose.

crackers-02.jpg

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1

when we get the "munchies," am more likely to turn to meat than chips or sweets.

The-Perfect-Steak-with-Garlic-ButterIMG_

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 4

I ate a cookie sandwich with fudge in the middle. Completely worth it 

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

10 minutes ago, KaineParker said:

I ate a cookie sandwich with fudge in the middle. Completely worth it 

apologies, but our teeth hurt from Gromnir thinking about your cookie sandwich.

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

when we get the "munchies," am more likely to turn to meat than chips or sweets.

HA! Good Fun!

If I want a "meat munchie" ... that's what beef jerky is for.
Giant slabs of cooked/greasy meat are a little more difficult to just grab and munch on while sitting at the PC desk in-between sword-slapping monsters. Also, that's called a meal, not a munchie.  :shifty:

2 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

crackers-02.jpg

Mmmm... knäckebröd 🤤

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:

HA! Good Fun!

Mmm.... 🤤

Knäckebröd with some caviar and eggs.. 🤤

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

24 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

"Crunchmaster" is a top shelf brand name.

That might explain why I've never noticed them until I saw them near the registers recently.
...I'm very short, y'know.   :-

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

apologies, but our teeth hurt from Gromnir thinking about your cookie sandwich.

HA! Good Fun!

Sorry about your teeth, but I'd do it again.

5 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Mmmm... knäckebröd 🤤

Mmm.... 🤤

Knäckebröd with some caviar and eggs.. 🤤

**** it, I'd eat it. 

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

10 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

If I want a "meat munchie" ... that's what beef jerky is for.
Giant slabs of cooked/greasy meat are a little more difficult to just grab and munch on while sitting at the PC desk in-between sword-slapping monsters. Also, that's called a meal, not a munchie.  :shifty:

if you can't find a way to eat meat while at your computer, am gonna suggest you ain't trying hard enough. thin strips o' steak on a plate, eaten with fork or chopsticks, is more convenient and less messy than trying to manage crumbly chips from a bag or box or even bowl-- no greasy fingers and no chip bits landing in our keyboard.

chips and jerky win when am succumbing to sloth, but am otherwise not a fan o' such when meat is available.

HA! Good Fun!

47 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

no greasy fingers and no chip bits landing in our keyboard.

If you're getting lots of food bits in your KB you're not trying hard enough.  :shifty:
I concede the occasional dirty finger, even with the least "greasy" crackers or jerky, at times, tho.  I'll have a moist paper towel to wipe with if that happens.

Anyway, I'm just joshing around.  I certainly like meat, I just don't tend to think of it as a "snack" and save it for proper meal times.  It also currently isn't great for me to eat a lot of it - it takes a lot longer to digest so blood sugar spiking typically stays elevated for more hours (3-4) vs. non-meat-protein/carb/calorie sources (60-90 minutes). If eat larger quantities of meat or frequently, it would be high all day.

Edited by LadyCrimson

I always try to eat a healthy breakfast Monday-Friday, that normally entails All Bran Flakes with a banana and yoghurt. I generally  keep my cooked breakfasts for the weekends

Anyway I have discovered the best most flavorsome yoghurt I have ever eaten...its better that Greek\Bulgarian yoghurt and better than sheep or goats milk yoghurt....water buffalo !!! If you can get you must try it 

http://buffaloridge.co.za/

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela