The Food Thread

Keyrock

14 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Sardines with capers, a local olive tapenade, and lemon

had a slight brain hiccup. with exception o' anchovies, you pretty much listed ingredients o' typical tapenade.

am admitting we kinda like sardines, and am knowing they is good for us and all, but am certain we would eat far less if our dogs did not get so much enjoyment licking clean our sardine tins. first couple times we worried they might cut their tongue on the cans, but would appear they have a preternatural tongue deftness which makes 'em immune to such dangers.

we like sardines ok. the dogs love sardine tins. we have sardines frequent.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:

had a slight brain hiccup. with exception o' anchovies, you pretty much listed ingredients o' typical tapenade.

It's funny because I actually thought about changing it to say a tapenade with added or extra lemon and capers. Instead I went with what was the first thing I typed which is just the order I threw things on top of the sardines.

Free games updated 3/4/21

• 2 weeks later...

Lunch (crumbled meat is ground turkey)

lunch-001.jpg

lunch-002.jpg

Snacks.

lunch-003.jpg

To keep the sweet and snack cravings in control fruit is great. And a couple large tablespoons of vanilla ice cream, softened and mixed with lots o berries works well as a tiny treat.
I may not be that impressed with "FOUR CAMERAS" in the phone but it does take better pics than the tablet at least.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 5
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

23 hours ago, majestic said:

Me hungry. Me HANGRY.

Hulk smash!

No, really. I feel like I'm digesting myself. Like Pizza the Hut in Spaceballs. :p

Well to explain that, this was lunch:

2BVU4TT.jpg

While tasty that wasn't very, say, satisfying. Dinner wasn't much different either (well less tomatoes and more picked peppers with sauerkraut and some bread with ham). Plus an awful lot of stress at work right now. Yeah... :)

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

On 7/10/2020 at 9:56 AM, Gromnir said:

we like sardines ok. the dogs love sardine tins. we have sardines frequent.

HA! Good Fun!

today, post morning walk, we were brushing one o' the dogs. his snoot/snout fur were noteworthy matted so we gave it a bit o' extra attention. the odor released while brushing were o' a thousand bloated beach corpses putrefying under a blistering summer sun... and sardines.

am gonna need be more observant o' the need to clean doggy faces after we allow the pups to lick clean sardine tins.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Went to the local farmers market store (been around for 30 years). They had Rainer cherries. OMG I love those. I always called them "white cherries" - like "white peaches". Anyway, never liked Bing/purple cherries.  But Rainer's ... I bought two bags and have to keep myself from eating more than a handful a few times a day. 

One of those truly nature's candies.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• 2 weeks later...

I gotta give props to the Kroger in southern Columbus, Ohio. I'm picking up a load in Columbus tomorrow morning, so after dropping my trailer at a nearby truck stop I bobtailed over to Kroger to do some shopping. I scooped up some spicy tuna rolls and this is probably the best supermarket sushi I've ever gotten.

lYd77L3_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Earlier this year I did the carnivore diet for a little over 2 months and wound up losing 20 lbs. I am happy to report that a bit over 3 months after stopping the diet and going back to eating more balanced I have not gained a single pound back. I think the main factor is that I have stayed away from refined sugar like the plague. Refined sugar is enemy #1.

• Like 3

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I made French onion soup. Fairly standard recipe with red onions, beef stock, vermouth, baguette, and Gruyere.

gRtj5Aj.jpg

• Like 4

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

For dinner I made buttermilk biscuits from scratch. Kind of a pain but totally worth it. Two were enjoyed with strawberry preserves from my garden last spring and black coffee. Two more come breakfast time with more coffee and a little drizzle of honey

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I ordered myself a treat 2 nights ago...Peking Duck and it was both delicious and authentic with Hoisen Sauce and the little pancakes 🦆

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I made cheddar & broccoli soup to take on the road with me when I go back to work tomorrow. 

ZAtREaY.jpg

I haven't actually eaten a bowl of it yet, but I licked the ladle after I finished transferring it to tupperware bowls and it was delicious.

Butter, white onion, carrot, clove of garlic, broccoli florets, chicken stock, half & half, shredded cheddar, corn starch to thicken, salt & pepper to taste.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

So I'd found a brand of kim chi (they're in Oregon) sold via Amazon. Make it fresh when you order, bag it, send it to you.  Came in 3 pounds. Store bought jars I've had were 14 oz I think, and I could eat two of those in a week easily so 3 pounds didn't seem like a huge stretch.  Anyway, turns out 3 pounds is a lot (filled a giant mason jar) since after an initial binge week the amount eaten can drop heavily. 8)  Was dubious about online kim-chi but this is good stuff, I'll buy it again ... if I ever finish this jar. Still have almost 1/4 of it left.

(originally full to the lid, time period minus 2 weeks while I was sick/not eating much...)

3lbs-kimchi.jpg

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1

http://strandloper.com/menu/

Now this is good deal which my Cpt family and I are going to participate in over the next few weeks or so, a 10 course seafood tasting menu that is only $20/person when you consider the exchange rate and that  is very reasonable :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I decided to experiment yesterday with Spaghetti Bolognese, I used Pork mince instead of Beef and it was delicious 

Making meals like Bolognese is always a good idea because  you can freeze extra mince and normally the mince I cook lasts for 2-3 days for other meals

My " quick " Bolognese meal is easy

• Fry onions, garlic and mushrooms for about 4-7 minutes until onions are translucent 
  • Then add the Mince and brown it off for about 5 minutes
  • Then add Tomato Puree and Tomato and Onion mix or other primary sauces ( I would also add Red Wine )
  • Reduce heat and slow cook for about 1 hour or so 
  • Add spices and additional flavors as you see fit

🍲

• Like 1

John Milton 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2020 at 10:56 PM, ShadySands said:

Bacon and avocado mac and cheese and a jug of hot sauce

Thats  a first for me, Avo in macaroni. I love Avo but it shouldnt really be cooked so when do you add the Avo?

John Milton 

I'm a simple person, often enjoying the simple things in life. Especially now that winter is over and it's spring, so I can sit outside in a t-shirt and have dinner. Just a bit of steak and onions from the BBQ and some microwaved potato mash from the grocery store (yeah, boo!). The onions could have used a bit more, but I'll keep that in mind next time and start them 10-15 minutes before the steak

NFDWzSf.jpg

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

39 minutes ago, Gorth said:

I'm a simple person, often enjoying the simple things in life. Especially now that winter is over and it's spring, so I can sit outside in a t-shirt and have dinner. Just a bit of steak and onions from the BBQ and some microwaved potato mash from the grocery store (yeah, boo!). The onions could have used a bit more, but I'll keep that in mind next time and start them 10-15 minutes before the steak

NFDWzSf.jpg

Thats looks so ideal, well played Gorthfuscious...I live on the first floor of an apartment complex and we only allowed electric barbecues which doesnt quite add the same flavoring and smoking as a traditional barbecue with wood or coals

When  am I getting an invite?

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

10 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Avocado goes in last just before serving. I cut it into small cubes and gently stir it in.

That makes sense, good tip for incorporating Avo in cooked dishes 🥘

John Milton 

Now, I'm not much of a cook, but there's a youtube channel I've been following during the epidemic, about different historical dishes sprinkled in with some history, and I absolutely love the show and the host. Been debating where to post it, but this seems the best place.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken