The Food Thread

Keyrock

Wanted to make traditional greek Gyros, but ended up making something quite different.

Seasoned lamb strips with pepper, salt, paprika, thyme and oregano.

Instead of tzatziki, I used rømme ("Norwegian" sour cream), and mixed in scallion, salt, pepper, and the juice of half a lemon.

Slices of tomato and red onion.

All packed into brioche hot dog buns, with feta cheese on top. No space for fries sadly!

Was quite good, but next time I'll add some chili pepper, and maybe have the red onions pickled as well. Or just make the traditional Gyros I wanted in the first place.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/voraciously/wp/2019/10/24/its-almost-halloween-and-feetloaf-is-already-giving-us-nightmares/

our typical meatloaf tends to include a significant amount of italian parsley, which may detract from the aesthetic. may need make adjustments. regardless, looks fun.

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 2
  • Hmmm 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

On 10/22/2019 at 1:43 AM, David White said:

Have you ever eaten oyster? I've never...

I quite enjoy fresh raw oysters but don't care for them cooked. 

I decided to make smores. Wife and I don't care for chocolate all that much so I made them with Nutella so it wasn't straight chocolate. Very, very good.

Free games updated 3/4/21

steak.

have a tenant who has been having difficulty making rent, but he is a butcher, so we have more steak than we could possible eat in a year. steak and eggs for breakfast. petite filets for dinner.  got mostly the filets and sirloin, but a few boneless and bone-in ribeyes as well. am preferring our ribeyes bone-in, so today we used a nice thick boneless ribeye for steak sandwiches.

cut ribeye into thinish strips (cross grain) and liberal dose with our proprietary blend o' salt and spices, which if am being honest is a knock-ff o' lawry's. is actual easier to cut steak proper if is having been frozen and then mostly defrosted. the steak we had were not frozen, so we had to use our good mac knife. whatever. quarter a good sized onion and slice as desired. slice whatever mushroom type you prefer.

cook and brown meat in cast iron skillet. have been using coconut oil o' late. not heart healthy though. *shrug* remove meat from pan when is mostly done.

now is a good time to toast whatever bread you will choose. is not a sloppy wet sandwich, but there is fluid, so butter or mayo works well as choices for your bread toasting. nice crust will prevent your bread choice from instant soaking up liquid and turning into a gloppy mess.  

turn down heat a smidge and in same skillet, brown the veggies. should be enough oil in skillet to brown veggies, but a little butter never hurt, eh? when veggies is mostly doneish, return meat to skillet and then pour in worcestershire. have never measured, but pour in a bit more than looks reasonable and you should be fine. deglaze pan and let reduce a fair bit. remove skillet from heat and add a tablespoon (or more) of butter. stir. meat, onions and mushrooms should be covered in a dark and near molasses thick sauce.

results is a sandwich to make any cardiologist shudder. 

so full. we now need a nap.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Decided to make sloppy joes for lunch. My wife and MiL had never heard of them so I tried to make the best first impression for them that I could and made them from scratch instead of out of a can. 

Big sloppy joe smiles all around

I don't really have an exact recipe but I use lean ground beef (90/10 or better) with tomatoes I dice myself and also a diced red bell pepper and a diced sweet onion. Other ingredients include ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, a stout beer, salt and pepper, Lawry's seasoning salt, garlic powder, ground mustard seed, and brown sugar. I used brioche buns this time around because that's my wife's favorite

For her seconds my MiL cooked some cabbage with a few other veggies and just mixed them with the beef in a bowl but she always does weird things. I tried to explain to her that my beef sauce is not anything close to what she normally puts in her beef and cabbage dish but she really loved it even though any spice is usually too much spice for her. 

I don't think I could live that that. I told my wife if I can't taste delicious flavors then just pull the plug on me and if that doesn't work I pointed at a pillow on the couch and told her that she knows what to do

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 2

Sorry for the double posy but a few days ago I also made a beef stew. My new thing has been a stout beer and prunes to whatever I think might benefit from one or both.

Prunes have been on my list since Gromnir's pot roast recipe and I thought it worked just as great in the stew. I don't even take them out anymore and just served the soup with bits of prune still in it.

My wife says it's the best I've ever made and the best she's ever had. But I've had the stews her family tends to eat and I can't exactly say that's a real high bar.

Edited by ShadySands
Typing on mobile is not my jam

Chicken Marbella time again. It's funny how much this gets requested since there was some hesitantcy to make it the first time around.

Chicken thighs only this time around instead of legs and thighs and the rest is generally the same. Green olives, capers, prunes, and garlic with oregano, sugar, pepper, paprika, cinnamon, and salt in white wine with red wine vinegar. I use chicken bouillon to punch it up a bit but that's pretty much the guts of the dish. Or at least the recipe I'm working with.

I've thought of dropping the sugar and using a sweeter wine but since wine isn't my game I've been holding off.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I've thought of dropping the sugar and using a sweeter wine but since wine isn't my game I've been holding off.

can always use more prunes. kidding.

sweeter wine might not be an ideal choice 'cause the sugar is added in part to take edge off the acidity from the wine. 

if cane sugar is problematic, you can turn golden raisins into a paste. maybe thin the paste with your wine before adding. won't affect the aesthetic o' the dish and you get natural sugar with a mild additional flavor which should be complimentary. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps if you like the bite from the wine and vinegar, then ignore our suggestion.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do enjoy the tang

I finally got a look at the original recipe for the dish from the 80s (it's an American dish inspired by Spanish and Morrocan cruisine) and it calls for way more sugar than I use but I've seen so many recipes talk about cutting or dropping the sugar which is why I've been toying with it. That and just a general push to limit sugar.

I made some tuna salad for lunch and have short ribs in the slow cooker for dinner.

Dinner last night was cream of wheat but my wife made it with ghee so it had a slight oddness to it that I kinda dug.

I bought some stuff to make ramen tomorrow or who knows when because my MiL wants to make meatballs some time soon too. She's not a bad cook but leans really heavily on tomato and dill on pretty much anything she can. I dunno if that's just her quirk or a regional thing.I won't say it's bland sometimes but rather the flavors in her dishes generally very light. That's not a bad thing on its own because I really like to mix it up but it's every dish and sometimes I just want a little more flavor.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Double post, but I'm planning on frying my first goose this Friday and I'm wondering if anyone has fried water fowl before.  As I understand it, I need to score the skin, boil for ~10 minutes, and then completely dry before putting in the fryer.  I've roasted plenty of geese, but I've never tried to fry one before.  I'm frankly worried about the sheer amount of goose fat, so hopefully the boiling will take care of that.  I'm also concerned that my fryer won't be big enough.  I'll have to scope it out beforehand.

• Like 1

"Not for the sake of much time..."

• 3 weeks later...

had leftover duck carnitas so we made duck carnitas enchiladas and spicy baked black beans as a complete unnecessary side. nothing green involved save for cilantro and oregano as part o' the carnitas recipe. on extreme rare occasion we do enchiladas with duck carnitas (am o' the opinion the crispiness o' the duck is somewhat undercut by using in enchiladas,) we typical we go with a mole or adobo but went straight traditional enchilada sauce for this eve.

am pleasantly torpid.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I'm trying out the carnivore diet, started yesterday. I'm not doing the super hardcore version where people aim for ZERO carbs, so they avoid milk and other dairy products that contain lactose (which is a sugar), I'm drinking milk, which is basically my only source of carbs. I'm not super strict about it, I drink coffee, which is obviously not an animal product, and I plan to have some vodka later today, which comes from potatoes or grain, potatoes in this case. So, you know, there will be some calories from non-animal products, but my goal is 95%+ of my calories coming from meat, fish, eggs, cheese, milk, etc. I'm sure cutting out veggies, grains and stuff will leave me deprived of some stuff, so I'm making sure to take a daily multivitamin to cover my bases there. I will say I've had some unpleasant trips to the bathroom (I'll spare you the details) today, but I expected that. Any time you drastically change your diet, there's going to be a period where your body goes through shock. In this case my body is yelling at me "I'm cool with the bacon and eggs and milk and beef, but where the **** are the potatoes and bread and onions and cabbage? Where the **** are my carbs!? The lactose ain't cutting it by itself!"

Anyway, hopefully it works out and I have the willpower to stick with it.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Low carb diets should not be permanent, as they tend to **** your mind and body up.  Works great for temporary weight loss though, especially if you've overloaded on carbs lately.

I find the Hobbit diet works best.  6 small and varied meals a day though shopping can be a pain.

I got lucky because I work at job that ensures I'll never be obese so I just try to cut back on sweets and chips and soda and stuff.

2 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I'm trying out the carnivore diet, started yesterday. I'm not doing the super hardcore version where people aim for ZERO carbs, so they avoid milk and other dairy products that contain lactose (which is a sugar), I'm drinking milk, which is basically my only source of carbs. I'm not super strict about it, I drink coffee, which is obviously not an animal product, and I plan to have some vodka later today, which comes from potatoes or grain, potatoes in this case. So, you know, there will be some calories from non-animal products, but my goal is 95%+ of my calories coming from meat, fish, eggs, cheese, milk, etc. I'm sure cutting out veggies, grains and stuff will leave me deprived of some stuff, so I'm making sure to take a daily multivitamin to cover my bases there. I will say I've had some unpleasant trips to the bathroom (I'll spare you the details) today, but I expected that. Any time you drastically change your diet, there's going to be a period where your body goes through shock. In this case my body is yelling at me "I'm cool with the bacon and eggs and milk and beef, but where the **** are the potatoes and bread and onions and cabbage? Where the **** are my carbs!? The lactose ain't cutting it by itself!"

Anyway, hopefully it works out and I have the willpower to stick with it.

8 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

Low carb diets should not be permanent, as they tend to **** your mind and body up.  Works great for temporary weight loss though, especially if you've overloaded on carbs lately.

It could screw with your body, it also could be exactly what your body needs. I'm a firm believer that there is no such thing as a one size fits all diet, as everybody's body chemistry is different and they will react to diets differently. The only way to truly find out is to try it. If nothing else, I'm hoping that if I wind up going back to a more balanced diet, this carniovore stint helps get me away from sugars. I mean, naturally occurring sugars such as the lactose in milk or the fructose in fruit I'll likely be cool with if I go back to a balanced diet, but hopefully this helps me eliminate added sugars, such as the sugar put into coffee or tea, sugary soft drinks, candy, cookies, etc.

Anyway, I dry rubbed some pork chops earlier today with salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, turmeric, and parsley and I just pan fried one in the bacon grease I had left over from the bacon I cooked this morning. Delicious.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks