The Food Thread

Keyrock

Im intrigued but Goggle tells me the closest (only?) Mogo East is in Downers Grove, which is a bit of a haul for me. But perusing the cheesesteak portion of their menu agrees with you, and if you recommend it, Ill give it a try next time Im in that neck of the woods. 👍

9 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Im intrigued but Goggle tells me the closest (only?) Mogo East is in Downers Grove, which is a bit of a haul for me. But perusing the cheesesteak portion of their menu agrees with you, and if you recommend it, Ill give it a try next time Im in that neck of the woods. 👍

mojo's cheesesteak with provolone and sauteed mushrooms would be our recommendation... unless you are one o' the many people who understandably has an aversion to adding fungus to their food. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

All this cheese steak talk made me make another one today. This time I did make my own cheese sauce but I wish I had checked the fridge beforehand. I only had half a slice of American cheese because my mother-in-law is weird and does stuff like that. Still had some provolone and that was it soon kept digging in the back of the fridge and found some Mexican cheese blend so I sprinkled that in with some parm. It actually turned out pretty good considering.

Nearly forgot we didn't have flour for the roux so I ended up using some sweet brown rice flour that we have for some reason. I went the sour cream route as well.

Now and for the rest of the week it's Ensures for breakfast and lunch with a sensible bowl of honey nut Cheerios for dinner.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Ooohhh, Amazon had these in a 20-pack and not in the styrofoam "bowl" form (the noodles are thinner/different in the bowl).
I'm ready for winter. :lol:

kimchi-ramen-01.jpg

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• 3 weeks later...

I had Lamb Shank last night for dinner at a Mediterranean theme restaurant it was good as you would expect 

But it made me think what is favorite type of meat you enjoy eating and or cooking for family and friends...so what is your favorite roast? I love and eat all meat, I like exotic or unusual meat so tripe, sweetbreads and other off cut I love to order when I see it on the menu. But game and venison is also top of my list 

But saying all that, my favorite meat meal must be Roast Pork with crackling, gravy  and apple sauce and all other good things that come with it 🍖

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

6 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Yesterday I made the broth that will be the base of tonight's onion soup.

Do you have Gruyere to make it authentic French onion soup?

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Yep and it turned out amazing. My wife and MiL practically licked the pot.

Not that I make it super authentic or anything as I like to experiment in the kitchen. I've been making my soups with a mix of onions and have been tinkering with mushrooms and meat in the soup.  I didn't this time though I did have the meat on the side and everyone tried it with the meat and liked it better. 

Crap, text got highlighted again. All I did was delete some text. On mobile.

3 hours ago, Maedhros said:

Is that really a thing? Gruyere being Swiss and all

I've always been taught that for French onion soup you specifically use Gruyere. You can, of course, substitute a different variety of Swiss cheese, if you like, especially since Gruyere tends to be pretty pricey, but I like to go all out on the rare occasion I make the dish, and Gruyere is so delicious.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

we got a couple french onion soup recipes. 

our standard uses gruyère as cheese, and a white wine, a bit o' white wine vinegar and perhaps a splash or two o' sherry.

we do make a french onion which uses red wine or even port instead o' white. in such cases am more likely to use appenzeller as is a stronger cheese than gruyère... though is not any cheaper if that is a concern.

regardless, starts with the broth. put a little more effort into broth and you end up with a win regardless o' cheese or wine choice.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I went red wine vinegar and sherry.

I've been adding oxtail when I make my broth and can highly recommend that.

I want to mess around with some mushrooms again, does anyone know when morels are in season? I really liked them last time but all I could find were dried and I'd like to try it again with fresh ones. /blasphemy

Edited by ShadySands

39 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I want to mess around with some mushrooms again, does anyone know when morels are in season? 

is fungus, so technical no season per se, but is typical a spring-early summer 'hunting' season, by which time they is tapped out 'til next spring.

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Everywhere I've ever been it has been served with Gruyere or occasionally a generic Swiss cheese. Of course, I've never been to France but seeing as Switzerland is next door it doesn't seem such a stretch.

Just thought it was a bit weird since the French are pretty proud of their culinary traditions. Would think that they used a french cheese. But then again, Switzerland used to be a part of France (kind of) and is their neighbour as you say. And Gruyere can be so good.

The chef show on Netflix had an episode on how to make an onion soup. The chef there said it was all about how you cooked the onions to get that perfect caramelized taste. Never made it myself, maybe I should give it a try!

Edited by Maedhros

I finally found a decent cheese fondue set in Cpt and I bought it last week, tonight Im inviting my neighbor's over for a fondue and some drinks. Its nice living in an apartment  in the sense you get to know your neighbors much easily than when I lived in a townhouse 

Its  very social having a fondue and tonight should be great fun 🧀

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

On 10/9/2019 at 10:25 AM, BruceVC said:

I finally found a decent cheese fondue set in Cpt and I bought it last week, tonight Im inviting my neighbor's over for a fondue and some drinks. Its nice living in an apartment  in the sense you get to know your neighbors much easily than when I lived in a townhouse 

Its  very social having a fondue and tonight should be great fun 🧀

My first CPT fondue night went really well, I used 3 specific Swiss cheeses which were Gruyere, Emmenthal and Raclette which was well received and I even added the traditional tot of Kirsch which is a cherry flavored brandy\liqueur

But I made one mistake, I used too much Methylated  Spirits in the burner  initially so  I had to fight a few minor fires once I light it but then it went well 🔥 🧀

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

We made some cream of pumpkin soup:

rCjgjlT.jpg

And afterwards had a nice Hungarian cold smoked sausage with mustard, horeradish and some bread with walnuts:

exl9v6w.jpg

Edited by majestic
  • Like 6

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

went basic. reverse sear o' a small cross-rib roast. have a bakery here in town which makes kimmelweck rolls. is good we may buy fresh rolls 'cause while am capable o' baking, we avoid. am now having roast beef for the next couple days. 

only drawback is we had to use additional stew meat and beef stock to make au jus 'cause the roast were producing virtual nul pan leavings. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

Looking through this thread on an empty stomach probably wasn't the best decision I've made today, but well worth it.

This is going to be a great resource for dinner ideas, and I'll have to post some pictures of my dinners in the future! Keep the food posts coming!

• Thanks 3

Simple but tasty way to deal with leftover bread dumplings:

x4DgSlM.jpg

Fry in a pan until decently hot, then add eggs and stir until the eggs are just the way you like them (although if you like your eggs fried to oblivion I might question your sanity... or taste :p).

• Thanks 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

29 minutes ago, David White said:

Have you ever eaten oyster? I've never...

HA! Good Fun!