The Food Thread

Keyrock

I'm a big fan of carne asada but I just do pico de gallo, cheese, and sour cream for both burritos and tacos. I then dab a little hot salsa on each bite, usually tomatillo but not always.

I had the breakfast of champions this morning, 4 pills.

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

• 2 weeks later...

Made brunch for my wife. Prosciutto wrapped black figs stuffed with goat and gorgonzola cheese and sprinkled with thyme and I paired that with some rum soaked brioche French toast with brie and black walnuts. My wife said it was surprisingly very delicious.

I like to experiment even though I can't eat any of it but I refused to make one more avocado toast and that's what I settled on.

Speaking of avocado toast, I think I reached peak millennial today when I tried a sip of hard seltzer. Mango, wasn't bad.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

^ I tried hard seltzer about a month back, it was ok. I concluded that it would be a good drink if my aim was to get hammered and urinate a lot, on account of the fact that, while it didn't taste particularly good, it also didn't taste bad, and it was really easy drinking. Whereas the beer I usually drink tastes great, but is fairly robust and filling and something I generally can't drink quickly or a ton of, at least not at my age, not that I'd want to (different story 20 years ago ;) ). I could easily see myself plowing through a 12-pack of hard seltzer without so much as batting an eye... Then regretting my life choices shortly thereafter.

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I stopped at the Love's truck stop in JacksonTennessee for my 10 hour break and discovered there's a shack across the street that sells BBQ.

cCxiamT_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Pretty dang good, reasonably priced too.

• Like 4

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

https://schecktersraw.com/menu/

So one of brothers is in CPT for business tonight and we going out for dinner but he is a Vegan so  we going to this hardcore Vegan restaurant in the link, Im not really a big fan  of Vegans for several practical reasons like its not natural based on our historical diet to eat only what Vegans eat...where is the precedent ?

Anyway I like to try new things and tonight I am going to be very objective and really not be negative ....I am going for the Vegan burger, it  looks tasty :thumbsup:

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I know I just had BBQ a couple days ago, but I'm in the Dallas-Fort Worth area and it would be just plain wrong to not get BBQ when in central Texas. :-

K2FkauE_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Soulman's BBQ in Rockwall. Both the brisket and the sausage were delicious. I used almost none of the sauce, central Texas BBQ doesn't need sauce.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Grilling. Had to scale back on how much I'm making because our party has been whittled down from 11 to 7. I cut the brats, corn, and kebabs but still have wings, kielbasa, and both beef and pork ribs. 

Veggies? Veggies? We don't need no stinking veggies.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Anyway I like to try new things and tonight I am going to be very objective and really not be negative ....I am going for the Vegan burger, it  looks tasty :thumbsup:

Ah, South Africa!  I had the chance to go there recently for residency, but the wife couldn't go and I didn't want to be gone that long without her.  That's some new age fare on that menu, I tell you what!  ...But I'm down with veggie burgers.  However, the crowd for Labor Day wants meat, and so that's where we're going with our menu tonight.

• Like 1

The woodwork beckons.

I found an Indian restaurant near the truck stop I'm at in Tulare, CA, and by restaurant I mean a trailer with a kitchen in it.

vQGZQDP_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

They didn't have goat so I got lamb curry. It's quite tasty, certainly better than the fast food I would have gotten inside the truck stop. I freakin' love curry. Thai is my favorite, but I like Indian, British, and Jamaican curry too. (also, Steph Curry)

As a truck driver, I get stuck eating the same fast food junk so often, as truck stops with decent restaurants are a rarity these days. Whenever I find some good food close to the truck stop I get really excited. Double bonus when it's something I really love, like curry.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

18 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Made some chicken fettuccine alfredo for dinner last night. I couldn't eat it but it smelled nice. Then for lunch today I made a cheese steak which I shouldn't have eaten but I ate most of it anyway.

did you use whiz, provolone, or something else?

at geno and pat's, whiz is still the standard for cheesesteak. personal preference is provolone if am aiming for acceptable alternatives to whiz which is nevertheless considered traditional. provolone and a smidge o' parmesan is where we go most often even if the parmigiano reggiano takes us beyond borders o' traditional.

roux + milk (or sour cream works) + cheese = sauce. can add almost any kinda cheese, but have rare experimented with cheesesteak. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I used provolone and a little white american cheese (the colby and cheddar blend kind rather than the pasteurized process cheese product). My wife refuses to eat cheese whiz and american cheese that isn't real cheese. I've told her that cheese whiz is the traditional cheese so she says give her the non-traditional cheeses.

I'll have to experiment with making my own cheese sauces. Thanks for the tips. 

38 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I used provolone and a little white american cheese (the colby and cheddar blend kind rather than the pasteurized process cheese product). My wife refuses to eat cheese whiz and american cheese that isn't real cheese. I've told her that cheese whiz is the traditional cheese so she says give her the non-traditional cheeses.

I'll have to experiment with making my own cheese sauces. Thanks for the tips. 

have considered trying a bleu and gruyere or fontina, 'cause am a kinda a fan o' bleu compound butters for steak, but have never quite gotten 'round to making a decent bleu sauce appropriate for a sandwich.  gotta go easy on the bleu, but how much is enough w/o being too much? gruyere melts nice and complements bleu, which is why am thinking gruyere as a partner cheese. 

lots o' sauteed mushrooms and caramelized onions. 

bit o' parsley?

probable ghastly, but...

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
am ambivalent as to choice o' gruyere or fontina

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

Huh, I didn't know cheese whiz is the traditional cheese for a cheese steak. Around these parts is comes with mozzarella unless instructed otherwise. 

looks might be deceiving?

http://www.mojoseastcoasteats.com/cheesesteak-menu.html

http://ilovemontis.com/documents/montis_menu.html

http://phillysbest.com/

three places am recollecting.

the melted white american or white cheddar and/or provolone might look like mozzarella, but we lived in chicago for years and make a trip back once or twice a year. cannot recall mozzarella being offered at any place we frequented  save on weird "pizza cheesesteaks" and the like.

'course, nowadays as am returning to chicago as 'posed to living there, am far more likely to get an italian beef sandwich than a cheesesteak. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

5 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Maybe the difference is a [url=http://www.tommysredhots.com/pdf/menu.pdf]"Philadelphia" cheese steak?[/url]

dunno. am not really a burbs guy, and rare make it out o' cook county when we visit, but mojo east would not be far from glendale? 

am recalling there is a place in naperville which sells "cheesesteaks" w/o specific mentioning philly... though they do use rocky (the boxer and not the squirrel) as their mascot. as such the philly is sorta implied.

whiz, provolone, white cheddar and white american.

perhaps you found a singular food freak show in the burbs west o' chicago? regardless, doesn't appear to be a chicago thing to do cheesesteaks with mozzarella so much as one place in glendale. heck, there is no doubt a jersey mikes not too far from you and am willing to bet their standard cheesesteak is sans mozzarella.

HA! Good Fun!