The Food Thread

Keyrock

Avocado is best so long as you can afford it, but in many cases it's too expensive for my budget unless it's on sale at Sprouts. In terms of price and storage canola is likely going to beat out the other options for neutral oil.

Future in-laws are here so it's baba ghanoush, tabouli, and lamb tonight.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

On 5/18/2019 at 10:50 AM, Gromnir said:

am curious how gd stores sunflower, or if he goes through fast enough such that storing is a non factor.  have used in past and lasts us three or four months 'fore we begin to notice early onset rancid.

HA! Good Fun!

A little goes a long way. I usually buy it in 10 oz and that lasts a few weeks.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Tonight Im making myself Stuffed Baked Potato skins with a salad, its such a  versatile meal because you can basically stuff the skins with anything. I'm adding 

• Homemade Bolognese  mince
  • Spring Onion and Chives flavored  cream cheese 
  •  Fresh chives 

🥔🥗

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm thinking about changing my diet. I go pretty heavy on carbs at this point, and I'm thinking I'd like to reverse that. Nothing too crazy, but I think a medium carb diet and more protein will help me with my endurance training and alleviate some digestive issues I've had with training and racing.

Of course, it would help if I could resist some of these sugary snacks I'm always craving.

I have a problem with eating regularly as I often forget to eat because I get caught up in whatever I'm doing.

I made my wife a burrata salad with arugula, roasted cherry tomatoes, strawberries, crushed hazelnuts, and drizzled with balsamic vinegar. I made myself a grilled cheese sandwich and then spent the remainder of the evening with a stomach ache.

Free games updated 3/4/21

6 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I have a problem with eating regularly as I often forget to eat because I get caught up in whatever I'm doing.

I made my wife a burrata salad with arugula, roasted cherry tomatoes, strawberries, crushed hazelnuts, and drizzled with balsamic vinegar. I made myself a grilled cheese sandwich and then spent the remainder of the evening with a stomach ache.

What type of cheese did  you use ?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

5 hours ago, ShadySands said:

In college I developed the habit of entering long periods of deep calories deficits and odd eating schedules. It's sort of like intermittent intermittent fasting.

Tonight we went to a local restaurant where your table has a circular hole in the middle and they place a bbq. The food comes raw and you sit there and grill it. Two were some cut of beef, I think one was beef tongue (which was really good) and one was a cut of meat called "mino", which it turns out is beef stomach. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Tonight we went to a local restaurant where your table has a circular hole in the middle and they place a bbq. The food comes raw and you sit there and grill it. Two were some cut of beef, I think one was beef tongue (which was really good) and one was a cut of meat called "mino", which it turns out is beef stomach. 

I have eaten at  similar restaurants like that where you grill your own food, its an amazing and very interactive way of eating 

Also well done for eating exotic food, most of my friends and family wont touch the off cuts like you tried. I love them because they have there own unique taste and sometimes texture. Anthony Bourdain convinced me about the value of eating unusual food.  Anybody can eat or cook a steak, and there is nothing wrong with steak as I love it,  but most people dont eat off cuts and will always miss out on that gastronomic experience 🥩

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Tonight Im making myself a form of bolognaise mince, its simple really. But its also very economical as I will have pasta for dinner but the left over mince I can either freeze and use it later or use it for sandwiches or other meals over the next 2-3 days. One has to be prudent with meals when you single... " waste not and want not "  and all that  🥡

• Fry onions with garlic for 3-5 minutes until translucent
  • Add mushrooms
  • Add Mince and brown mince and make sure is par-cooked 
  • Add pasta sauce and reduce heat so mince can slowly, say 40 minutes
  • Add mince to pasta once cooked  
  • Like 1

John Milton 

Wife wants chicken marbella added to the regular meal rotation which is more of an idea than an actual rotation. Probably would not have considered making it or would have substituted prunes out if it wasn't for Gromnir's pot roast recipe.  

Ordered some black garlic on Amazon because it's too stinky to make and Safeway stopped carrying it. Supposedly some specialty markets around town might have some but I've no interest in driving out to Aurora.

I recently tried a whole, fried shrimp. Have you ever seen a soft shell crab that's battered and fried and eaten whole? Same thing. This was a complete shrimp that was lightly battered and fried (head, body, tail, exoskeleton, organs). I wasn't too jazzed about eating it but I didn't want to be a lil biatch in front of my hosts either, so down the hatch it went. Meh, tastes like a crunchier shrimp.

• Like 1

Why are boiled peanuts so incredibly delicious? They're just peanuts that are boiled (potentially with cajun spices) and they are several orders of magnitude more delicious than either raw or roasted peanuts.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

With a public holiday today this was a weekend full of indulgence. Or, in other words, unhealthy food for the win:

1WHdFfg.jpg

nQ8I057.jpg

Well and some take-out ribs from out local Italian place. Might sound weird, but they make them like pizza by throwing the ribs into the oven and burn them to a cinder. Well, kind of. 300+ degrees for a few minutes make them blackend on the outside and super juicy inside. Then they get a bit of sauce on top (a hot one in this case). Compared to the usual way of doing them with extended low temperature they stay a good deal chewier, and obviously there's no smoky flavor but it's full of pure Maillard bliss. Honestly, biting into these is as close to a tastegasm as you can come. :p

RZjgjUb.jpg

• Like 4

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

• 4 weeks later...

Tonight Im chlling at home, I cooked an ostrich steak last night and there were  leftovers as there always are with a large piece of meat so for dinner Im having ostrich steak rolls which include

• Prego sauce
  • Sauteed onions
  • Thinly sliced  ostrich
  • Cheese

Simple but delicious 

• Like 1

John Milton 

I love my hot sauces,  the hotter the better and I constantly purchase new hot sauces to try

I found this amazing food deli just up the road from me  and they have literally dozens of hot sauces both local and imported I have never tried...so Im elelated and bought this one below with a few more I havent used yet. But the sauce below is great 🌶️

https://www.hotsauce.com/marie-sharps-hot-habanero-pepper-sauce/?matchtype=b&network=o&device=c&adposition={adposition}&keyword=hotsauce&campaign=353789958&adgroup=1326011667224988&msclkid=f11aba2adcc5174b4fd2e70b011e47b5&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=**LP DSA - All Pages&utm_term=hotsauce&utm_content=All Pages

John Milton 

Made some chicken and mushroom ramen for lunch with bacon, sun-dried tomatoes, black garlic, and green onion. Pretty much no broth and topped with parmesan cheese.

Made some chicken in milk for dinner and a salad. Yum.

Edited by ShadySands

• 3 weeks later...

Went to a 1* Michelin restaurant named Renaa, and was not dissapointed. Warm service from beginning to end, including a guided tour of the hotel they recently moved in to. The dishes (of which there were around 20), were mostly based on Norwegian sea food. The wine pairings were sublime, and we even got some extra wines since the sommelier noticed that we were wine buffs. I feel like a lot of Michelin restaurants in Europe don't really deserve their star(s), but in this case more of them would be warranted.

4lS66rr.jpg

eilert_smith_hotel_trodahl_arkitekter_0.

Edited by Maedhros
  • Like 3