The Food Thread

Keyrock

I had some toast, a pear, and a yogurt. I know, I know, I live on the culinary wild side, what can I say. ;)

...I've had a hankering for some homemade lasagna however. My really fattening, sausage-laden, no ricotta-cheese (mozz, cheddar, other shredded cheeses) lasagna, that is.

• Like 4
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I had some toast, a pear, and a yogurt. I know, I know, I live on the culinary wild side, what can I say. ;)

...I've had a hankering for some homemade lasagna however. My really fattening, sausage-laden, no ricotta-cheese (mozz, cheddar, other shredded cheeses) lasagna, that is.

Nothing wrong with simple comfort food....I eat similar food all the time  :geek:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

From a few nights ago. Pork "riblets" and beef full ribs. Messy looking and a 10-napkin affair, but pretty tasty and certainly tons of meat on the ribs so you don't feel gyped. From a pizza place we used to go to years ago - heard they did a lot of BBQ now (as well as pizza) so we had to try that. Hubby liked it a bit more than I did I think - tasty as it was, I still prefer Asian styled meats (Japan, Korea, China etc) vs. typical American BBQ. Does depend on the sauce itself however, ofc.

ribs-01.jpg

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

shady posted some time ago

for barbeque, am gonna say we like memphis for pulled pork and central texas for most other.  texas barbeque (other than east) is more 'bout the flavor o' the meat than the sauce. am not a fan o' barbeque which is too sweet or drowned in sauce.  spend hours and hours doing low and slow cooking only to complete overwhelm meat with other flavors? doesn't appeal to our culinary aesthetic to prioritize end sauce.

momo's meat market is our usual barbeque stop in sacramento... happens to be a few blocks up the street from our favorite breakfast spot.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Central Texas dry rub BBQ is my personal favorite style of BBQ. I'm all about that brisket. No sauce necessary.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

am not a fan o' barbeque which is too sweet or drowned in sauce.  spend hours and hours doing low and slow cooking only to complete overwhelm meat with other flavors?

Yeah I'm sorta that way. I don't like super sweet sauces. I've had some BBQ sauces that weren't very sweet however, and not ketchup-thick. More like a thick marinade that you just brush on a bit and adds some nice flavor without being heavy or 20lbs of sugar.

Like I love teriyaki that is just soy sauce with a bit of sugar and garlic in it but most US "teriyaki" that is super sweet/corn syrup'd+pineapple isn't my thing at all.

Playing around in the kitchen. Ended up making a chicken stock miso with tofu and mushrooms. And it's not half bad.

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

http://pretoria.lapentola.co.za/index.php/main-menu/

https://www.brasseriedeparis.co.za/

Sup guys, so here are another 2 restaurants Im going to this weekend. The reason Im posting these restaurants is Im moving in 3 weeks to Cape Town and these restaurants are favorite places I have been to in Pretoria. So I am going with my Pretoria friends to these places as a farewell.....or multiple farewells as its the same friends  :biggrin:

For those again interested in game and exotic food check out the first restaurant menu, its one of my favorite places in the whole South Africa

Im going to miss Pretoria and JHB but Cape Town has some of the best restaurants in Africa and has world recognized wine estates so I shouldn't complain about my future home   :cat:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

http://www.rosemaryhill.co.za/high-tea/

Sup Gastronomes

Okay so tomorrow I  am doing something different,  Im taking a lady friend for a high-tea. I haven't been for a high-tea in about 2 years and I found this awesome place that really offers a scrumptious variety of cakes and sweets....check the photos in the gallery section to be amazed and hungry 

And it is really very well priced, it would only cost $21 in USA terms  :geek:

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

I had never heard of "high tea" but it looks awesome and delicious! Buffet style serving? You would probably find me hovering over by the sweets tables. :lol:

You have made a very relevant observation and you correct, I forgot that the ceremony of   " high tea " is a British tradition  but certain countries that would have certain ties to the UK have inherited this ceremony and it is offered normally in exclusive hotels, not restaurants normally because the ceremony takes most of the afternoon and can dominant the  seating arrangement ...but it wont be common in the USA probably due to how the USA gained its independence and I imagine these types of UK culture ties wouldn't have survived  :biggrin:  

But its a great eating experience of endless cakes, pastries  and other creations that the chefs create uniquely for the high-tea. And the bonus is generally all the cakes are brought on tea trolleys to each table so you just sit and wait. The secret to truly appreciating it is to pace yourself and not eat too much from each trolley....you could literally eat your full on the first trolley but then you deny yourself all the other cake trolleys that continue to bring delicious delicacies the whole afternoon

Saying all that its almost impossible to not over eat, I tend to be greedy and cant resist " eating just one more "  which always means I leave feeling very bloated but fulfilled...oh yes so fulfilled  o:)

• Like 1

John Milton 

Oh I'm sure the Americans know how to throw a tea party ;)

• Like 4

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I've only had proper high tea once and that was when I was on vacation in Jamaica. The tea was good but I don't remember what it was maybe lotus something but since I don't care for sweets I felt like I missed the main point of it all. There's a few places in Denver that do it but I can make tea at home and as I already said I don't eat much in the way of sweets.

Made burgers for dinner. Cheese in the middle of the patty and another slice on top and griddled on a bit of pommery mustard. Topped with bacon and pickled jalapenos because I don't like pickles (pickled cucumbers anyway) on my burgers. I grilled some onions as well but my wife ate them all and I figured my burger was busy enough anyway.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

What is high tea, anyway? Something you get by pouring boiling water on dried cannabis leaves, goes well with hash brownies? Also I don't get why Brits are so snobby about their tea traditions when they always commit disgusting atrocity of ruining it with milk.  :shrugz:

From the sounds of the name, maybe it is intended to occur around noon local time.

noon is for lunch.  elevenses is self explanatory and afternoon tea is 'tween lunch and dinner... but high tea is also 'tween lunch and dinner.  high tea is traditional after work but before dinner. 'course dinner time were 8ish, so...  

from our extreme limited experience walking past high tea being served and seeing postings for such, the time is some non-specific hour later afternoon, though we have also seen early afternoon services.  menu will either be entire sweet or a mixture o' sweet and savory.  

am thinking high tea is one o' those things which musta' evolved haphazard and organic so that now the only thing anybody agrees 'pon is that Americans do it wrong.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• 2 weeks later...

Fresh guac from scratch. 

istqnZP.jpg

EEMM0sd.jpg

Salt & pepper are the only ingredients not shown in the top picture.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Made a chicken Caesar wrap for dinner last night, skipped breakfast as I do, and had nacho fries for lunch

Haven't been able to eat much without throwing up

Thats terrible, I really dont enjoy getting sick due to bad food. I have heard it can last for 1-2  days and you cant eat anything rich or too spicy

Do you think its the Chicken ....but getting sick the next day seems too long for it to be that so is it the fires ?

Funny enough  excessive alcohol normally makes me sick but that has to be where I mix tequila and normal spirits like Brandy and Vodka....yes my friends say  I mustn't drink so many shooters but its hard to say no when you already inebriated and feel invincible and also its not all the time but last night was one of my last farewells and I was sick this morning at  about 3 am  :x  :x

John Milton 

I think it was the "cheese" that came with the nacho fries that did me in that day but I've been having issues with keeping food down off and on for a while. I should probably see a doctor but I'd rather suffer than be put on another bland food diet.

Went to a place called Safta for some Middle Eastern. Got some hummus with short ribs and black garlic that I'm fairly certain I'll dream about tonight. Had that with some marinated olives,  lutenitsa, and a pile of warm pita bread.

Free games updated 3/4/21