The Food Thread

Keyrock

I made naan with chickpeas and rice last night. It was pretty simple and a bit easier than tortillas to do correctly.

Then today after my run I made cinnamon and brown sugar pancakes. I also made some syrup, but I still prefer the log cabin bottle.

• Like 1

My sister bought me a ceramic Cheese baker  pot for Xmas and  Im using it  to experiment with different cheeses  and ingredients..its going to be a great time for finding complimentary cheese flavors   8)

https://www.yuppiechef.com/creative-tops.htm?id=39711&name=Creative-Tops-Gourmet-Cheese-Cheese-Baker&vid=90297&gclid=Cj0KCQiAvKzhBRC1ARIsANEXdgy9s7j7mj_JDdrcgHvxn80_b1i9JfiSgdtsWigtDgDVteWy04zBdKwaAoCaEALw_wcB

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm making corn and peppers soup in the slow cooker. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Wife makes crepes every New Year and I usually don't have any because I don't like the filling she uses because it tends to be sour cream and caviar. So this year I made my own savory filling with mushrooms, shallots, garlic, shredded chicken, wine, cream, and some Swiss cheese.

I maybe ate a little too much.

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

We make crêpes in Polish cuisine, we call them naleśniki. In our family, we tend to make them sweet as a desert dish.  Typically, we do 2 different fillings:

• farmer cheese sweetened with sugar
  • some manner of fruit preserve, often blackberry or raspberry, with some walnuts mixed in

Then we top them with syrup.

• Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Korean styled bulgogi over rice. Yup, I will always love my marinated beef dishes.

...went to CostCo and they had a package of smaller size premade naan bread. I utterly love that stuff/brand toasted with a little butter. Froze half, the other half one piece at a time in the morning all last week along with a bosc pear (also Costco bought). Yum.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Took some pictures of our family christmas dinners this time around. Yay. Again, made from an iPhone so the quality is so-so. Putting the pictures into spoiler tags to keep the post concise. :)

Cheese plate, cold cuts and homemade cookies:

dOK32j9.jpg

Smoked fish, various pickles, veggies and hard boiled eggs (and some condiments)

EEzcVhj.jpg

Fresh bakery and butter:

9qzvSUn.jpg

Roasted Bambi and boar:

AXvv1rp.jpg

Chop chop:

JODQZfd.jpg

Graaaaaaaaavy:

k0cbmLM.jpg

Gravy, part II: With added root veggies:

xwH8DPa.jpg

Brussels sprouts:

tuQLYrr.jpg

Bread dumplings:

BbmhOrG.jpg

Pretzel dumplings:

UjJ9lL7.jpg

Red cabbage:

8ZoGgrq.jpg

Croquettes - eh, well, these were store bought (but no less awesome).

YJ5E21x.jpg

The reason why most of it is in some sort of Tupperware container is because the food was prepared at three different locations. Christmas logistics for the win. :)

• Like 4

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I live within easy walking distance of my work place, I often go home for some quick and dirty lunch.

By quick, I mean 180 seconds, aka 3 minutes. A truly multinational meal too :lol:

Slices of Australian toast bread (the first two minutes is waiting for the toaster), adding a generous layer of imported Danish Blue Cheese and some imported Canadian Maple Syrup on top. Salty and Sweet both ticked off the list!

One of the few things I know that is more tasty requires too much time and equipment I don't have (Deep fried Camembert with blueberry jam on toast)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

One of the few things I know that is more tasty requires too much time and equipment I don't have (Deep fried Camembert with blueberry jam on toast)

Hum, fried Camembert is properly enjoyed with lingonberry jam. :p

Hum, fried Camembert is properly enjoyed with lingonberry jam. :p

I should stop watching old Star Trek... I just read that as klingonberry :blush:

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Boiled beef with vegetables

Were your parents by any chance French? :ninja:

I remember working on a project outside Paris for a while.... the local places seemed obsessed with boiling otherwise perfectly good meat

Meat belongs on a BBQ dammit! :grin:

I remember working on a project outside Paris for a while.... the local places seemed obsessed with boiling otherwise perfectly good meat

Nah, no Frenchies in my family that I know of. I had relatives in the French Foreign Legion but I doubt that counts. ;)

Properly boiled beef is divine. Sadly that usually means doing it yourself, otherwise you're all too often getting a slab of grey stuff that vaguely resembles food and tastes like arse.

• Like 1

Boiled beef with vegetables

am gonna observe there is extreme few situations in which we would boil meat.  homemade dog food?  make stock?

braise or stew meat is not same as boil.  braise is low and slow, like barbecue, but wet heat. tough cuts o' meat cooked in such a way has connective tissue turn to gelatin and infuse meat with goodness. think pot roast, brisket and many short rib recipes if unfamiliar with braising. braise is stereotypical grandmother's favorite cooking heat and results in wonderful comfort foods if you gots even a smidge o' skill.  difference 'tween braise and stew is amount o' wet.  stew has meat complete submerged in fluid, but is similar low and slow. am getting much use from our dutch oven to be doing braises and stews.

however, am gonna note we don't grill often save as a matter o' practicality.  is a few chicken recipes using rubs which require high heat to be effective.  many fishes works good on grill as long as got additional tools to keep fish from falling through grate. for steaks and burgers, our go-to heat o' choice is stove and oven with a cast iron pan-- not grill. am not complete sold on the reverse sear trend, but am using more frequent for stuff such as flank steak. science o' reverse sear is sound, but am a curmudgeon and slow to change... plus regular sear o' burgers and steaks is a far quicker process.  that said, even our barbeque efforts is rare actual done on a grill even though the device for grilling is often referred to as a barbeque. barbeque, as a cooking technique, is low temperature and long cooking period with dry heat.  is kinda opposite side o' coin from braising.  regardless, grill is not our choice o' cooking most meats.

however, the grill is often where we go when cooking burgers and steaks for larger groups o' people as with only a couple large cast iron pans at our disposal, am not able to do much in the way o' volume cooking. also, searing produces a fair amount o' greasy smoke, which we prefer to keep outside if am able. if we need do a whole bunch o' searing at one time, chances are we do grill.  arguable most relevant, sacramento summers mean consistent +100 F temperatures for weeks at a time making indoor cooking oppressive. will often use grill for no other reason than am trying to give our ac a break.

so, almost never boil meat and grill is used for three months o' year or when have large numbers o' carnivore guests.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

It's funny because I was grilling the other day and thought about trying indirect heat first then searing but I had no idea it was called the reverse sear. Thanks for that!

never saw reverse sear specific described as reverse sear 'til 'bout 2017.  no doubt some o' the kewl kids were talking 'bout reverse sear before 2017, but is first time am personal recalling seeing the term in print.  became kinda a fad in 2018.  

fish is kinda an ideal application as unlike most cuts o' meat, indirect heat on fish is still not gonna result in particular long cook time... and 'course grill fish outside means girlfriend/wife/partner is not complaining 'bout fish smell in house.

HA! Good Fun! 

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'll admit my infatuation with the BBQ (A "Baby Weber" special edition) is because it's practical. Little cleaning required afterwards and no food smell lingering indoors for the next 6-12 hours. Most meats (steak, fish, chicken) can be cooked in 10 minutes. I usually give the fish (I love fresh salmon sides) a bit longer. I do have a "flat" plate for things like fish and vegetables (grilled pumpkin is good). Potatoes... well, they do need almost a full hour at low heat. Wrapped in aluminium foil with a bit of olive oil and herbs, served with chicken, creme fraiche, corn or whatever you like to add for flavour.

http://pretoria.lapentola.co.za/index.php/main-menu/

I went to this amazing restaurant tonight, take a look at the menu for those of you gastronomes who appreciate fine dining but still very familiar and utterly delicious 

You should notice some unusual South African wildlife on the menu  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela