The Food Thread

Keyrock

A chuckwagon sandwich is a ground beef breaded and fried on a bun. You can put whatever on it, the usual lettuce tomato and mayo is most common. Nothing fancy and definitely not healthy but it is delicious.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

For this Thanksgiving I am making ham, turkey, lamb stew, cranberry sowse, and gravy while my wife is making the mashed potatoes which I am helping with. Team work :p

Yummy, I wish we had a Thanksgiving day in SA as it appears that the food is as delicious, complex but rings like comfort food....so its like Xmas which I absolutely love  :dancing:

Which day do you guys  prefer and how would you celebrate each day typically ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Now that is my type of meal, I love Venison and I thoroughly enjoy stews as the leftovers  can be stored and frozen for later 

I am going to bookmark that recipe and make it when I get back to JHB from my coastal trip, I am leaving on Monday for Durban  :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

@ GD

What  an informative food website, I am seeing dozens of excellent recipes and gastronomic suggestions 

I also appreciate the way the recipes seem to be not overly complicated  

John Milton 

@ GD

What  an informative food website, I am seeing dozens of excellent recipes and gastronomic suggestions 

I also appreciate the way the recipes seem to be not overly complicated  

I've made a lot of stuff from them over the years. When it comes to recipes I like simple.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

• 3 weeks later...

I've been on vacation for the past week or so and I decided to brine a chicken for tonight's dinner. The wife ended up going to wine Wednesday with the ladies from work, so I have to come up with another idea. I'm not going to make chicken with stuffing and yams for one person. I've got some brats in the fridge. I typically like to cook more involved meals when I get the chance, but we bought a case of Kraft mac n cheese to give to charity and forgot to put it in with the other food stuffs so it ended up in the garage until it was at its expiration date by the time I discovered it. Since I can't give it to the storehouse any more, I've been slowly cooking them when I needed something quick, so I guess it's brats and boxed mac and cheese. <.< Not exactly a meal fit for a king, but certainly food fit for a chump.

χαίρετε

For a cold season,

Habanero Ginger Bread Cookies

Ingredients (in order used):

• 24 habaneros
  • 1 cup of butter or margarine
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 1 cup of unsculphured molasses
  • 4 1/2 cups of all-purpose flower (IMPORTANT, you will also need another 1/2 cup for later)
  • 1 teaspoon of baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 1 tablespoon of ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon of grated or ground nutmeg
  • water and all purpose flour ( on hand for rolling the dough)

Tools :

• goggles (optional if your eyes are very sensitive)
  • Blender or food processor
  • medium sauce pan
  • rubber spatula or wooden spoon
  • large bowl
  • whisk
  • plastic wrap
  • rolling pin
  • butter or grease spray
  • cookie sheets
  • oven
  • cookie cutter

First you will to take your habaneros and put them in a blender and have them minced as fine as possible. Place your sauce pan on medium heat and add in the butter/margarine and heat until it becomes a liquid. Mix in the sugar,habaneros, and molasses. Keep stirring until the mixture no longer looks gritty. Set aside to let the mixture to cool until lukewarm.

In a Large Bowl whisk together the flower, backing soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg until it is evenly mixed. Make a well for the dry ingredient and add in the lukewarm liquid into the center of the dry mixture. Beat everything together. While mixing everything, work in 1/2 cup of flower into the mixture. You will want to continue to beat it until the dough starts to form a ball and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.

Take the dough out of the bowl and kneed about 3 to 4 times, until it becomes smooth and flexible.Take the dough and wrap it tight with the plastic wrap and place in the fridge until it is thoroughly cool. This can be done a up to a week in advance if you desire.

Set the oven tep to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease up your cookie sheets with butter or an spray can. Pop the dough out of the refrigerator. If the dough is too soft or hard to roll you may work in a little bit of flour or water (if it is still quite cold just leave it out and let it warm up naturally from the air). Once your dough is a desirable consistency you may start to roll the dough out and cut up the cookies. You can use whatever cut out you want but I recommend using one that is around 2 inches in diameter.  once you have a have your cookies on the tray place in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes depending on size. 

Then you are all set. You can decorate with icing, smear with cottage cheese, serve them with milk, or if you are feeling daring eat 6 at once. I won't stop you. :yes:

• Like 4

Oh yes, that recipe will be used. Got some friends that love things like megadeath, so that will be awesome.

Also have some coworkers that I really want to prank. :D

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I had julbord.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I had a Caprese Salad and a Mojito at an overpriced restaurant at the Bayside Marketplace in Miami with my dad. It was delicious and overpriced. But hey, it's the holiday season.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Chicken Alfredo Pasta. My favorite. :)

Wish I could get myself some red wine to go with it but it is really hard to get good wine over here.

It's good, once summer is there, I'll pay a visit to my brother in Vienna and bombard myself with red wine and alfredo pasta.

• Like 2

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Got some truffle burger kit thing for my birthday last week so I decided to try it out last night. I don't go for stuff like that but since it was a gift from my better half I had only good things to say about it. But between you and me it's not something I'd ever seek out and now have to find a way to get rid of the last 6 patties and the truffled ketchup... but I have to say I really didn't mind the mustard at all.

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

am suspecting some folks believe we eat extravagant all the time.  am admitting to a certain food snobbishness, but as often as not am too tired or lazy to do anything but simple.  have mentioned in the past how we like omelettes and frittatas... 'cause they is ez. one other sooper ez and cheap meal we make frequent am gonna share.  prepare to be disappointed with plebeian.

first time we tried this we went to the guy who sells us meat and he literal sneered when we asked for lean ground beef.  slunk away with our culinary manhood emasculated by a hamfisted little man in a bloody smock.  went to a soopermarket (hoodie and dark glasses to hide identity) and bought 7% fat ground beef. am thinking coca cola were also on sale and so we end up with 4 score cans o' coke and 1 pound o' beef.

*sigh*

prep is simple:

fine chop 1/4 to 1/2 medium onion.

mince 1-2" ginger

mince 1-2tb garlic

julienne 1/2 medium carrot.

1-2tb cornstarch

2+tb low-sodium soy sauce

small lettuce leaves appropriate for wraps

clean cilantro... chop if you wish... or don't. 

ok, am knowing there is much variation in the ginger and garlic, but am liking ginger and garlic so sometimes we use arguable excessive amounts o' the pungents. onion also varies based on how many meals we want this recipe to provide.

mostly brown (not fully cooked) the beef in a non-stick pan.  remove meat to plate with paper towel.  as is lean beef, will not be much fat in the pan, but should be enough.  add 1.5tb cornstarch to meat off heat and mix.  if you have lady friends or like sweet, feel free to add a little brown sugar.  now add onion to pan and cook to desired degree.  if you like fully caramelized onions, go for it.  when onions is almost done, add garlic and ginger and saute an additional 30 seconds just to release flavor.  return meat to pan along with soy sauce to finish cooking and heat through.  

remove meat mixture from heat.

is a simple and fast lettuce wrap meal.  put meat on lettuce and add cilantro and carrot as desired.

with prep, this 'bout 15-20 minutes total.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)