The Food Thread

Keyrock

Did salmon with rice again but added some grilled asparagus this time for color

I've never made asparagus before but it was really easy and turned out great

I haven't been fishing in forever but maybe it's time to get back in it

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

• 3 weeks later...

I made some duck fat fries with parmesan, garlic, and black truffle. I didn't eat any but they smelled delicious.

Also grilled some lemon pepper chicken breast as meal prep for my wife

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

I found out you can cook pasta in broth. My life will be changed forever.

I got this crate of Kelp Broth with Thai seasoning for free awhile ago, and I've been trying to work through it. I wanted to male fusilli pasta, but was tired of tomato based sauces. It came out great, I sprinkled some crumbled feta cheese on it and served it with chicken apple sausages and baked brussel sprouts.

• Like 2

I found out you can cook pasta in broth. My life will be changed forever.

I got this crate of Kelp Broth with Thai seasoning for free awhile ago, and I've been trying to work through it. I wanted to male fusilli pasta, but was tired of tomato based sauces. It came out great, I sprinkled some crumbled feta cheese on it and served it with chicken apple sausages and baked brussel sprouts.

Isnt Minestrone kinda like that?

That recipe looks cool! :)

• Like 1

Thanks for shopping Pawn-O-Matic!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Usually I just make myself a quick sandwich from the stuff we stock up on at Walmart and put in the mini fridge on our semi truck in the interest of saving money and time. But, being couped up in that truck nearly 24/7, once in a while you gotta stop, take some time, and eat a good meal to feel human again. Today we stopped at a Petro truck stop in Arkansas and they had an Iron Skillet restaurant there (most of the time it's Subway, Wendys, Arbys, that sort of thing). Looking through the menu I saw the Cubano and immediately knew that's what I wanted. Even an average Cubano is a delicious sandwich, but this Cubano was well above average. The pork chop was amazing, the ham was great, and the cheese, mustard, and pickle ratios were perfect. I had to use willpower to keep from popping wood while eating the sandwich. I got a bowl of beef and cabbage soup for my side which was also quite good.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ive never eaten kale, what does it taste like? Lettuce? Spinach?

The texture is a bit different than those. It gives more resistance when you chew it. Tastewise it's hard to describe, it's slightly bitter. More similar to spinach than lettuce I'd say.

I love kale, but it can be very hit and miss. I had a really good Pollock and kale dish the other day, with a butter/caper/lovage-sauce. So good, but the kale stole too much attention from the best parts of the dish.

(Learned a few new english words by making this post. Pollock and Lovage, woop woop).

• Like 2

Sorry, missed the kale question but Thingolfin's answer is pretty good. It's tougher or denser maybe I dunno a great way to describe it either and the taste is like some other greens but off slightly. Dunno if you eat a lot of other greens like collard or turnip but I'd say it's probably closer to mustard greens. It's also usually prepared differently and not cooked for as long and sometimes even served raw.

Regarding Tabasco, I'm not a huge fan and am more partial to Red Devil or maybe some other Trappey's hot sauce but I've never tried any of those with chorizo so I'll have to give it a go.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

I've spent my life using Bisquick for waffles and pancakes. Today we didn't have enough mix, so I decided to make waffles from scratch. I had no vanilla extract, so I subbed in some brown sugar and cinnamon to add sweetness. It came out amazing. I can't believe I went so long without making it from scratch, it was super easy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I got a hankering for a chuckwagon sandwich, which worked out since I'm home for a few days and to the best of my knowledge the chuckwagon is a regional food item.  At least I've never seen it outside of the western half of North Carolina and the very most eastern part of Tennessee, right by the Smokies.  Has anyone ever seen a chuckwagon sandwich on a menu elsewhere?

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The best thing about instant ramen (Nongshin's Shin Ramyun is the best) is still the fact you can add all kinds of things to it and make it your own (and don't forget, you don't have to use all of that flavor packet, which is too much salt anyway). Vegies, meats, whatever. I often put so many things into mine it makes for a giant bowl. On a rainy morning, it's also great as an easy warming comfort food I can slurp while staring out the window.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts