The Food Thread

Keyrock

It doesn't have to be fancy, simple dishes can be quite delicious.  Did you hunt Bambi yourself?

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

For breakfast I made my wife 2 poached eggs which I put at the bottom of the bowl and added some mushrooms and shallots that I cooked with a little bit of bacon. On top of that I put a few mall pieces of thick cut prosciutto and sprinkled with Parmesan cheese. I heated up some cream in the same skillet that I made the mushrooms in and then poured that on all of it and some black pepper, fried garlic chips, and black truffle. She literally licked the bowl clean and I was jealous.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

Tonight Im having Eland steak, a type of venison, and baked potatoes

Should be yummy  :dancing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_eland

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

https://www.kuehne-international.com/sauces/steak-sauce

Oh for those gastronomes on this thread here is a delicious steak sauce that Im eating the Eland with tonight 

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Chicken and Waffles.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Chicken and Waffles.

Chicken and waffles has been on my bucket list for years. Someday, though, someday.

You should when you get the chance. Imo it's better to go to a (good) restaurant than to try and make them yourself for the first time.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

For the classic, you put syrup on it and it's not eaten as a sandwich. There's weird variations that do different stuff but going for the original style is best for the first time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Shepherd's Pie.... Don't worry, no shepherd's were hurt for this recipe.... :)

Ingredients

1 tbsp sunflower oil

1 large onion, finely chopped

2-3 medium carrots 1 small turnip, cubed

500g pack lamb mince (or beef)

2 tbsp tomato purée

large splash Worcestershire sauce

500ml beef stock

However many potatoes, the diners would normally consume with a dinner.....you could substitute finely grated cauliflower if trying to avoid carbs, but after grating , wrap it in a tea towel and squeeze the water out of it.

Butter and milk to taste.

1 tin of processed peas.

Salt/Pepper/Herbs to taste.

Cooking

Saute the onions, add meat and brown, theen add peas.

Put the cubed carrots and turnip in a pan with a little oil and herbs, salt, pepper to taste, cover and fry>simmer for 10 minutes, add stock, Worcester Saucec and tomato puree, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, then remove lid, add the meat/onion/peas mix well and simmer until it reaches your desired consistency, about 20 minutes.

Boil the potatoes until soft, mash the potatoes and add butter and milk, mash further until creamy and of a consistency that will allow you to spread it on top of the meat and vegetables.

Add the veg, meat and stock to an oven proof dish, cover with a layer of the mashed potatoes...some people add some grated cheese to decorate the top...

Put in a preheated oven 200c/400f for about 30 minutes, or until there is a light delicate golden crisping on top.

Bon appetite.

post-185618-0-05480200-1522679591_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fiach
  • Like 3

Thanks for shopping Pawn-O-Matic!

Making cottage cheese enchiladas tonight

We've really cut down on how much meat we eat in the past month or so. It's a semi-pescatarian diet with meat no more than a couple of times a month and generally limited to chicken.

• Like 1

Making cottage cheese enchiladas tonight

We've really cut down on how much meat we eat in the past month or so. It's a semi-pescatarian diet with meat no more than a couple of times a month and generally limited to chicken.

Looked up a recipe for that, it looks scrumptious, gonna have that next week, cheers!

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/cottage-cheese-enchiladas-1202551

• Like 1

That's pretty close to my recipe. I sub pickled jalapenos for fresh ones that I roast and also add some diced onions and use corn tortillas that have been lightly fried. Almost forgot a bit of cheese on the top

I use both green and red enchilada sauces but I'm sworn to take those recipes to the grave

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

That's pretty close to my recipe.

I use both green and red enchilada sauces but I'm sworn to take those recipes to the grave

Thet kan be arranged, Mr Sands......

Ummmm... Sounded better with the threatening russian voice in my head :)

I'll keep those in mind, cheers mate! :)

• Like 1

Pasta with a mushroom cream sauce.

I used the little round pasta, oricchiette or something like that. A did a mushroom medley heavy on crimini which I cooked with a little garlic and butter. I've been using ghee a lot lately. I put some dried mushrooms in water and used that mushroom water whenever I needed more liquid. After the mushrooms cooked down I added cream and just let it simmer while the pasta cooked.Then salt to taste and add drained pasta to sauce.

Parmesan cheese to top

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I made myself a truly decadent toasted sandwich the other day 

• You spread avocado paste on toast
  • Cover with crispy, streaky bacon
  • Use a  good, blue goats milk cheese and cover bacon. Grate the cheese so its easier to spread 
  • Also add some grated mature cheddar : 18 months or older 

Then place under a hot grill until cheese is melted ...simply yummy   :dancing:

John Milton 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how close Shady is to Blue Mesa Reservoir but it's stocked with Chinook salmon IIRC. He can go get his own damn salmon and drink beer while doing it!

I have GOT to go up to the Rockies and go fishing someday.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell