So, is there any build that Humans are arguably the best at?

Just curious if there's some build I haven't thought of where they're really a standout. I usually pass on them since their racial ability and attribute scores come across as half-assed--lots of aggressive builds would cheerfully dump Resolve but Fighting Spirit is a DPS oriented ability that doesn't even display properly and is a pain to monitor. So the best I can really think of off the top of my head is a long pain monk, since they don't spend quite enough time at range OR getting punched in the face to make wood elves, moon or fire godlike into an absolute no brainer. 

• Like 1

I can't think of a compelling min / max stat building reason to choose Human as starting race, and I don't see many / any other builds on this board where they've been used or suggested, outside of RP reasons.

Humans should get something like 2 extra attribute points to assign at the character creation screen or an extra talent (yeah, I did get that idea from Legend of Grimrock).

Edited by Undesirable

I suppose that the Zeblastian Hurtstacker build could be done on a human (dangerous implement to self-activate Fighting Spirit), but a Wood Elf wizard like that is arguably at least as good at it with the constant +5 accuracy & deflection at range.

Perhaps a Counselor Ploi build that does more melee than ranged could be considered, I suppose.

A Thundercat Druid build could also be done with a Human, but a Moon Godlike is arguably at least as good due to extra durability from Silver Tide, and a Death Godlike Thundercat Druid gets a constant x1.2 damage to low endurance enemies. Human is arguably better than Death Godlike for offense, given that Fighting Spirit will likely last the whole fight once it activates.

Humans do have an advantage over the Godlikes in that they can wear the Maegfolc Skull (among other headgear), and their accuracy bonus is good at any range. Thus, I would say that an offensive, aggressive melee build generally benefits more from a human than most races. Still, I concur that the advantages of the Wood Elf, Moon Godlike, and Fire Godlike (at high level) are substantial enough to make the Human's temporary (even though it is 20 seconds base) bonus seem lesser in comparison.

Any build that has lower defenses should play well as Human. Light armored Monk and Barbarian and possibly Fighter all benefit. Fighter can takes hits that trigger their racial and Constant Recovery. Dual wield Warhammer Fighter should be an excellent candidate.

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

I'd definitely second monk (maegfolk skull *is* a lot of might) as the added direct damage from being below 50% endurance meshes well with that "Glass Tsunami" build 2 posts down.  Also Barbarian has the Blooded ability (+25% dmg multiplier when below 50% endurance) though he doesn't get the monk's increasing DR from Iron Wheel, so you have to kinda hover your cursor over Savage defiance in case he gets *too* beat up.  Steal Pallegina's armor off her or otherwise you'll have to wait until Raedric 2 - the sequel (He Carries Many Scars doesn't just look good, it's got regen and Defiant to boot, perfect for low endurance and/or half-life builds.)  If you manage to find it , there's that Boar Cape or whatever its called, to help with low endurance sustainability, but there's also better items out there for that slot anyway.

I don't know that Humans are better, assuming you want to build entirely around that racial ability for raw dps/accuracy, but I find that I like being able to choose my own portrait, as compared to being stuck with one like when I choose godlikes, particularly moon godlikes (2 portraits, and both kinda ugly).  If you can bear to look at that for the whole game, then I personally would go with a fire or nature Godlike for monk/barbarian builds of the same kind.  Both increase DPS under 50% endurance.

• Like 1

Both of my Glass Tsunami builds (monk and fighter) use Human as the suggested race. Human works best with low Con, high endurance regeneration, and high intelligence. With high Int, it lasts over 30 seconds which is a long time. Accuracy and damage is always useful, while other racials are only useful for some battles and do nothing in other battles. It is okay if you just momentarily drop under 50%; it will continue if you immediate get healed above the threshold. It is annoying that the UI is not helpful indicating when it is on, but be assured it is working in the background even though there is no icon for it.

Edited by Braven
  • Like 1

Accuracy and damage is always useful, while other racials are only useful for some battles and do nothing in other battles. It is okay if you just momentarily drop under 50%; it will continue if you immediate get healed above the threshold. It is annoying that the UI is not helpful indicating when it is on, but be assured it is working in the background even though there is no icon for it.

Yeah, it's not a big deal, but it just vexes me because ideally it would be a good time to start dumping your wounds or spamming scrolls. Obviously you can still manage that by keeping an eye on your Endurance bar but still, consider me mildly annoyed when I'm running a monk and super annoyed when I'm running a Frenzy/Sanguine Plate build.

The 1.15 damage modifier has to be a nice add-on to a 2handed weapon Rogue as well.

Perhaps a low-int Tidefall human rogue, then, would work wonders. 

I've done this before and it works pretty well but unfortunately low Intellect rather hurts your Fighting Spirit duration. On PotD at least I actually prefer to keep Intellect at 10 or so. Losing a bit of Wounding damage stings but it makes you a better scroll/spellbind user once Deathblows comes online. That's kinda nice since otherwise the class's lack of inherent AoE damage really starts to sting over a full 16 levels. Plus, in the early game it's also good for using Veteran's Recovery to stay alive until you can get Tidefall in the first place. A minor issue there is that if you keep Veteran's Recovery and pair that with Tidefall on a rogue it means that you tend to have two settings, one called "Too healthy for Fighting Spirit to activate in the first place" and another I like to call "Critted into itty bitty pieces by Ogres." Still, you can respec out of Recovery easily enough if you're genuinely annoyed by being too tough, so I guess it's the very definition of 1st world problems when you get right down to it. Honestly, my biggest issue with the setup is probably that I don't think rogues are quite worth the micromanagement in the first place, especially if you're running a DPS fighter or monk on top of that. Which, is too bad, really, because thematically I've always liked the archetype. Still, you guys were right to point it out as a solid option, so thanks for the reminder.

Edited by Whipstitch
  • Like 1

I think that human is the best race for a barb who wants to abuse Vengeful defeat with the help of paladin/priest/chanter.

It might also be good for Heart of Fury, if you plan to maximize the damage per hit. You'd have to take Greater Frenzy and Blooded as well and maybe wear Ryona's Buckle, too. Basically all items that give you something once endurance is below a certain point. You'd just have to wait till Endurance drops below 50% and then use Heart of Fury. Too much hassle for me...

It used to be the best race for the Leech build (prolonging buffs endlessly with the help of Spelltongue + Carnage, including Fighting Spirit), but nowadays that part of Spelltongue seems to be nerfed away.

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

What about a Chanter human tank? A Moon Godlike does better in the beginning, but once you get the Maegfolc Skull... Or you could stick Munacra Arret on him.

Another plus is that humans don't have +1 to dex like the Wood Elf, allowing you to drop dex even lower on a Chanter. Of course, a Boreal Dwarf is better against Wilders and Primordials, but what about other enemies?

The barbarian is clearly the class having the best synergy with humans because of their ability to inflict high burst damage during the short duration of the buff. He has also the greatest endurance pool and dropping under 50% endurance is the safest with them. Blooded, which triggers under 50% endurance, adds also more utility to the requirement. Basically you wait until your endurance is under 50% before triggering Heart of Fury and you keep Vengeful Defeat+Second Chance as back up.