Cannot buy characters with gold anymore?

I dont have internet a lot when i play and often times have over 100 cards to sell off when i do.

But anyway ive bought the wizard for 1500g to finally get a third character and now that ive gotten some gold saved up again there are no basic characters to purchase anymore. Only yellow or goblin versions.

Am i screwed in getting new.characters now? What happened?

There were some pretty big announcements about the changes to the in-game economy when the 1.2.8 patch dropped.  The following post has all the details:

Price Changes Coming to the Mobile Version of Pathfinder Adventures!

The bad news is that gold can no longer be used to buy content or characters.  It's mostly just for Treasure Chests and consumables now.

However, the good news is that the cash-only bundles have been significantly rebalanced.  Spending a few dollars here and there goes a long ways further than it used to.

After a year and a half of ad-free, cash-free unlocks, the decision was made that the future health of the game was going to rely more on player support to continue.

Eh i can see how all the people just farming the gold to no end would be a problem. But for someone like me who cant spend hours a day farming thousands of gold it never was so i wasnt aware it was an issue.

If only they could have made obtaining gold more difficult to avert grind farming kind of like how i have to spend 30 minutes nitpicking hundreds of cards to sell thenaybe that could have helped hold its f2p concept.

I absolutely hate microtransactions since i dont have a phone account (this us purely a wifi computer phone) nor a credut card or bank account to do so.

What a pain in yhe butt. I guess ill have to delete this game which i was becoming VERY fond of.

What a pain in yhe butt. I guess ill have to delete this game which i was becoming VERY fond of.

Or you could spend a few dollars to buy the game, and support the devs who worked long and hard to make this game you've become so fond of?
No. I dont have a credit card and this smartphone doesnt have an account either. Also dont have a job or secure ways to make steady income and dont need to waste a bunch of cash and time buying little 5 dollar gift cards or whatever JUST to get a new character.

Theyve ruined it for me which is a huge disappointment but its ok. Ive grown to learn that developers dont care about a loyal fanbase, only money.

• Like 1

Ive grown to learn that developers dont care about a loyal fanbase, only money.

That's a fairly jaded view.  Honestly though, they care about all the same things as the rest of us.  

Allowing players to purchase almost everything in Pathfinder via in-game gold was a noble experiment, but ultimately the game needs the support of paying users to keep going.  I'm sure they didn't take that decision lightly.

• Like 1

I know how what it's like to be poor, believe me. Sad that you love the game, but can't afford to expand it right now. :(

I have no idea where you live, but the price of the pc version of the game over here was almost exactly the same as a blockbuster ticket, round 20 euros, or a single new paperback. Perhaps, it'll help if you think of it that way. Saving up a tiny bit for some fine Entertainment? :)

I've already played this game 16h, and I haven't got far at all, so there's definitely value for money here, and replayability. To me, it feels a lot like those FF fantasy adventure paperbacks in the 80's, which I stilll read from time to time, just to relax and have a good time.

As for Obsidian not being loyal to their fanbase. I've followed this company since it was founded, and I'm hard-pressed to find any other team of devs who I have interacted with more. They have constantly listened to feedback and not seldomly adapted to it. Also, they dont hesitate to include surprise stuff or free extras just for us eager players. Despite their extreme deadlines at times, you can almost always tell that Obsidian has poured a lot of love and creativity into the games they've made.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

They have constantly listened to feedback and not seldomly adapted to it. ... you can almost always tell that Obsidian has poured a lot of love and creativity into the games they've made.

Agree - I think the devs tried to be super fair with a f2p pricing ladder in the early days. Pathfinder just isn't the sort of game that work with that model.

• Like 4

To get people playing the game should be more important than milking cash from them. I was telling many peeps how interesting it was but the value of word of mouth doesn't have worth anymore.

The general concensus should be to attract players to a good game and not force them to pay for tiny bits of content.

While this game is fun i don't see myself dropping around 30 bucks for half of what the game has to offer and needing to micro money to gain additional content.

Well last i saw was the bu dle for 25 (plus tax im guessing) for the runelord and basic characters. Not including the goblins or enhanced characters. Now id consider paying up to 30 for the full game including all additional content goblin pack and whatever else.

But paying 25+ for half a little mobile game seems absurd to me.

I disagree. Adding "extra" content that you have to pay for has been a stupid business tactic for years. You should be able to purchase the game and get all content at a reasonable price.

Not like every other game like CoD where.you pay 60 for the "full" game but they keep releasing a couple maps here and there for another 15-20 each.

CD project Red did it right for witcher3. You buy the game and all updates come with it. Microtransactions and DLCs have been a gaming bane for years

Microtransactions and DLCs have been a gaming bane for years

Consumer unwillingness to pay a fair price for games in general has also been an issue, not just add-on DLCs.  

Console games have maxed out at $60 for almost 20 years, and many major PC games have stalled in the $40-50 range.  Efficient distribution and digital delivery isn't enough to offset decades of inflation.  Amortizing total development costs through DLC releases is the norm because nobody wants to pay a base $90 for the next Call of Duty.  (e.g. $60 in year 2000 has about the same buying power as $88 today)

Mobile markets have their own set of issues, but that's partly because everyone is convinced those games should somehow be free, or no more than $5.

Edited by Ethics Gradient
  • Like 2

While it was nice to be able to get content for free, Pathfinder is just not set up to be able to survive for long as a f2p game. From a business perspective, the only reason to make a game free to play is if that game has a player vs. player aspect. All of the people who are playing for free provide fodder for the paying players to crush with all of the goodies they've bought. This game doesn't have a way to play pvp. Unless they incorporate a way for players to play against each other competitively, there is no incentive for Obsidian to provide this game for free.

I was surprised when they released it under a f2p model. Honestly, I took advantage of it while it lasted because I knew it couldn't last long. The physical version of this game costs more than double what they are asking for the electronic version.

• Like 3

Its cool. I have no incentive to play it anymore and deleted it. Maybe when i win the lottery ill consider picking it back up.

It really sucks that everything revolves around money and greed more and more these days and i sure suck at money.

I understand they need to feed themselves as well. I just cant help them with that

• Like 2

CD project Red did it right for witcher3. You buy the game and all updates come with it. Microtransactions and DLCs have been a gaming bane for years

Good point. I think devs should have done the same with Pathfinder from the off, but they did this side-by-side with a play-to-earn model. This was a real gamers' gesture, but judging by the issues they've had with bugs, etc, it's maybe backfired. In terms of capitalising the game's development, they need the same up-front purchase / subscription models as the card game. Maybe with Asmodee involved  now - the EA of digital boardgames -  they'll be able to do this. It certainly feels like a new start.

TheMightyBojangles - last time I was broke I went straight to the emulators and back to twenty years of great gaming. Also really solid communities. When I'm broke again, that's where I'll be. Good luck!

Edited by SumOfAllForms

Note that base Witcher 3 (released in 2015) has two DLC expansions; to get them you buy an Expansion Pass or make two separate purchases.  It also has a Game of the Year edition that came later and includes those items.  The base/base+Pass versions of Witcher 3 are relatively equivalent to the current standard version and Obsidian Edition of Pathfinder Adventures on Steam.