Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition (XBO) Watcher Build Suggestions...

I just purchased Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition for the Xbox One and have been researching the ideal party for me to play. I have chosen the following companions since they will be returning in the upcoming sequel:

Aloth (Wizard)

Edér (Fighter)
Pallegina (Paladin)

I have also selected Durance (Priest) since he, from what I have read, has the most involved quest line. I will then leave the remaining slot open in order to accomplish the various other companion quests. The main issue I am having is determining which type of Watcher I should play. My main focus will be on the story and the countless dialogue options that will appear throughout the game but I also want a character that will mesh well with the others during combat. Please LMK if you have any suggestions on a particular build and thanks for your time!

I really think you could make almost any build and make them work with the above companions. That is one good thing about this game, you can make pretty much any class fill the traditional roles of ranged, dps, tanks. Although pure tanks arent as prized in this game especially on the lower difficulties. I suppose if you are looking for more dialogue options look at boosting perception, intellect, or resolve. They have the most options but the other attributes have some to. I wouldnt worry about raising all of them. I am not sure how the game plays on console in terms of combat. If you find one of  the classes interesting in lore and in the small data you get on the initial mechanics go for it. I am sure you can make it fit. I personally like the martial classes for my MC but that is just me. Ranger is my favorite but you have to add in a additional character with the animal. The standard build i suppose would be a bow ranger that tag teams enemies with the animal. I also find barbarians fun they can mix it up in melee especially against larger mobs because of their carnage hitting multiple enemies. Barbarians also benefit from intellect more so than other martial classes so that helps with dialogue. If you have a priest or paladin you can buff, heal, and cast protections for any melee focuses classes to do their stuff.

Edited by draego
  • Like 1

Thanks for the advice!  I assume the following would fill the bill?

The Golden Dragon

Ye i am actually doing a run with a version of this build. I dont min max though so i didnt put anything below 9 and it still works fine. but that build definitely has lots of dialogue option especially with rest and food bonuses and some gear (dont go crazy with the +attribute gear though later on gear with special bonuses are better then just straight + attribute stuff). This is the one of the things new players dont get right away when coming to this game, attributes are less important than abilities and gear when defining you character. They are not useless by any means but just less important. For instance since i am not min maxing my strength is 15 at start and the build says 18. That is a difference of 9% damage and healing. Not that big a deal. Ye that 9% is better but its not a build killer like maybe BG where 15-18 is the difference between missing everything and hitting something. It is a little tough though until you get one of the better offensive shields later in the game if you care about seeing great offensive numbers but there are some good defensive shields until you find the better offensive ones like Badgradr's Barricade and Dragon's Maw Shield. This is more of a tanky build which is not the norm for barbarians. So dont expect a powerhouse for the first couple of acts. But a very solid tank that defuffs the enemy. I am also using The Vile Loner's Lance and Strike Hard (with vulnerable attack) as my main weapons to further riff on the debuff build effects instead of the more offensive Bittercut but there are better weapons in the game than the ones i chose. So my guy isnt as offensive as that build i am sure. I also use a little heavier armor because i dont really care about the style in that build but there is lots of room for different equipment and armor even within build guides. I am also using an Coastal aumaua for their bonus. That race makes good tanks or well good any upfront melee build.

Edited by draego
  • Like 1

Thanks for the advice!  I assume the following would fill the bill?

The Golden Dragon

Ye i am actually doing a run with a version of this build. I dont min max though so i didnt put anything below 9 and it still works fine. but that build definitely has lots of dialogue option especially with rest and food bonuses and some gear (dont go crazy with the +attribute gear though later on gear with special bonuses are better then just straight + attribute stuff). This is the one of the things new players dont get right away when coming to this game, attributes are less important than abilities and gear when defining you character. They are not useless by any means but just less important. For instance since i am not min maxing my strength is 15 at start and the build says 18. That is a difference of 9% damage and healing. Not that big a deal. Ye that 9% is better but its not a build killer like maybe BG where 15-18 is the difference between missing everything and hitting something. It is a little tough though until you get one of the better offensive shields later in the game if you care about seeing great offensive numbers but there are some good defensive shields until you find the better offensive ones like Badgradr's Barricade and Dragon's Maw Shield. This is more of a tanky build which is not the norm for barbarians. So dont expect a powerhouse for the first couple of acts. But a very solid tank that defuffs the enemy. I am also using The Vile Loner's Lance and Strike Hard (with vulnerable attack) as my main weapons to further riff on the debuff build effects instead of the more offensive Bittercut but there are better weapons in the game than the ones i chose. So my guy isnt as offensive as that build i am sure. I also use a little heavier armor because i dont really care about the style in that build but there is lots of room for different equipment and armor even within build guides. I am also using an Coastal aumaua for their bonus. That race makes good tanks or well good any upfront melee build.

Thanks again for all the good information!

Don't cling to builds. You can easily adjust stats - important thing is the core concept of the build and most of the time a few stat points don't change that.

With the Golden Dragon the concept is to be an "active" tank: to be able to stack effects on the enemies which lower their accuracy (daze, frighten and so on) while at the same time raising your own defenses. This way you make your whole party sturdier (enemies hit less often) and you can "tank" quite well while at the same time you'll do some decent AoE damage.

Also works with 15 MIG or 15 CON or whatever. The high MIG in the build is good for raising the self healing and the damage of Heart of Fury - but this all also works with less MIG.

3 CON is very hard for a low level barb and nothing for beginners. ;) 

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods