Fallout 4: New Vegas

Katphood

Can't watch the video as I am at work, but if it is what I think it is, then it probably won't be done within the next 5 years. :>

Also Fo4 is quite different in its mechanics, so I don't think they are able to port the game without any cuts.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Damn, anybody else hyped for this thing?

Not really; it plays like a shooter; instead of like Fallout.

If it actually played (fully) like these mock-ups imply... then I'd be hyped.... incredibly hyped. I would actually buy, and play FO4 with that mod in effect. That will never happen otherwise.

FO4ISO1.jpg

FO4ISO.jpg

Edited by Gizmo
  • Like 1

This thread made me check up on the Skywind (the equivalent project for Morrowind) and their website hasn't even been updated this year. Wonder when the last time a fan project like this ever made it to release. There was, um, U5: Lazarus? (Ultima 5 on the Dungeon Siege engine)

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Skywind is posting videos on youtube every once in a while. The website is pretty much dead, though.

Stuff still looks cool, but yeah... seems to be taking forever.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

The reality is that moderately-sized mods in 3D engines take a variety of skills and a lot of time to create in any manner approaching "good"/professional. Modeling, texturing, scripting and/or coding, writing, game system balancing, figuring out how to place it all in-game, etc. Depending on what you're doing, it can be sort of like having a part-time job for a not-insignificant amount of time to complete a mod that you will ultimately get little in return for...and we're assuming that your mod turns out to be any good, which there is certainly no guarantee of.

Total conversions, then, are that much harder. There have been so few successful total conversions that it's really hard for me to ever get my hopes up by any. I've never worked on a total conversion project, but I've tracked the progress of many, and guys work on them for literal years with no apparent end in sight, with little benefit to come from it (maybe if you're in the video game industry, you could put it on your resume, maybe?), and just get burned out. Throw in real life complications and obligations, and it's easy to see why total conversions never get finished. One of the few that I've seen actually get released that I was excited for, Stalker: Lost Alpha, ended up greatly disappointing me. The level/world design was pretty rad (which was ostensibly the original point of the mod, restoring cut/scaled down content like the levels), but the developers mucked about in a lot of other areas like writing, voice-acting, and game balance, and all of it really just fell totally flat on its face for me. It's a crappy predicament, but if I'm not enjoying their game, I'm not enjoying it. They worked on it for bloody forever, too...and while it seems like they had a good vision in some aspects, it felt to me they didn't really know what they were doing in others, and the experience ultimately ended up being sub-par because of it.

I think for a long-time development project to be sustainable, that by necessity needs a bunch of people with a variety of skills working on it for a significant amount of time, there needs to be some sort of funding. But that's sort of the problem with modding: what kind of quality of work are you getting out a bunch of amateur (in terms of level of experience) unknowns? We, as consumers, would no doubt just be endlessly burned by people who can make a good-looking proposal on sites like Patreon or Kickstarter and never end up delivering (if funding by those sites to mod other people's games would be even legal - I know some emulator developers have taken up receiving funds via Patreon, but it still seems to be a bit of a grey area as of now). You also can't get commercial funding for this type of effort, like you could if you were trying to sell an original game (or the idea of a game) to a publisher. So I don't really see a good way of solving this problem, which is probably why video game modding has been the way it is for the past few decades: smaller endeavors, such as a mod that only does some game re-balancing or a mod that only adds a few items (or whatever) can be successful, and occasionally a smart and dedicated developer comes along and makes something more moderately-sized like an overhaul of game AI or a complete HD re-texture of the game or something...but by and large, big projects combining a lot of skills just don't end up making it.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

i think a fonv done in wasteland 2 engine would be much easier so being more likely if it ever does get a reboot.  That video did look ****ing awesome but like Bartimaeus, i wouldnt get hopes up for it to ever being done.  For it to ever get done by modders, its gonna have to be a project that a team starts on and lays the foundation and then gives up to the community for someone else to step in or at least give ideas to others and just keep going until either it gets done, not worth it or not enough interest, or company takes notice and hires a team to "remaster" and make money.  I really don't see one team doing it sadly, BUT this is something i would love and beg to proven wrong on lol.

also i would love to see it in a wasteland 2 engine as well, hell id pay full cost if they left nothing out, dlcs included....omfg dead money. dammit man

Edited by redneckdevil
  • Like 1

If it were an actual expansion pack or (drools) a stand alone game developed by Obsidian, I would consider buying Fallout 4.  I'm not going to take a chance on the game for a mod.  Too many games out there already I haven't had the chance to play to drop the coin on the prospect of a game based on a mod.

χαίρετε

The reality is that moderately-sized mods in 3D engines take a variety of skills and a lot of time to create in any manner approaching "good"/professional. Modeling, texturing, scripting and/or coding, writing, game system balancing, figuring out how to place it all in-game, etc. Depending on what you're doing, it can be sort of like having a part-time job for a not-insignificant amount of time to complete a mod that you will ultimately get little in return for...and we're assuming that your mod turns out to be any good, which there is certainly no guarantee of.

This is exactly right. I worked on a large 3D mod for Grimrock; a nine story dungeon; comparable to the base game.

This mod took 22 of us over a year to make: 

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=241880858

https://www.nexusmods.com/grimrock/mods/368/?

There was a core team of around five of us that totally debugged and optimized the entire mod, room by room, as needed. The project leader really did the most work; he scored the music, and did the cutscene, and mapped out all of the areas left vacant by those that had space reserved, but that had dropped out of the project.

Aside from my own room, I did general testing and debugging, and made optimized 3D models and textures, and sound effects for a few dungeon-wide features (architecture and props). I added usable ladders to the engine for our mod; a thing absent in the base game.  It took a wide variety of skills for our group; none of us  had them all. One of our mod-members designed several custom tools for the game; a model editor, an icon editor, and later an animated FBX converter that would produce game-ready files.

Edited by Gizmo
  • Like 3

Sad thing is that someone really remade Fallout: New Vegas, I imagine most New Vegas fans would find something to whine and complain about but that's ultimately okay because people like myself (who were driven mad by the ugly color pallette of the original and really bad art style in general) would really appreciate this for every thing that we know actually makes it an improved version. There's nothing wrong with giving people the chance to replay a game in a different way but at the same time, we know that there will be purists who are angered for no reason.

Point being, yes, it looks great. Much rather play this version personally.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Tl;dr - "I don't like the game because the graphics suck and I think a mechanically watered down version with better graphics would be good."

Is it really watered down though or just different? Seens to me that NV fanboys would hate it even if it was 100% accurate but with improved graphics anyway.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

FO4 was streamlined with some simplified mechanics and that's not necessarily bad though depending on what you're looking for. It may turn some of the older audience off but it also brings in a lot of new blood. Anecdotally, more than a couple of my friends who like shooters but don't play many RPGs loved the game.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Fallout 4 plays a hundred times better than Fallout: New Vegas.

I'm not even sure what it is, but it feels so much better gameplay wise.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I'm not even sure what it is, but it feels so much better gameplay wise.

It’s far slicker as a first person shooter than New Vegas. That’s for sure.

I don’t view that as a good thing, but I suppose it’s what Bethesda wanted.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."