Just for fun – melee/magic hybrid

Since multiclassing would be the most anticipating feature in Deadfire and since I’ve always had a soft spot for warrior/mage hybrids; what would be your ideal melee/magic combination?

Of course currently I am theorizing with the classes as they are in the original POE.

Initially I was thinking a Barbarian/Wizard multiclass specializing in self buffs before wreaking havoc in the front lines.

But afterwards I was leaning more towards a Fighter/Priest hybrid using the fighter’s passives for survivalability and endurance while supporting from the frontlines.

Adding some god weapon talent too it can be really effective in attack too.

What about your ideas?

• Like 1

If talking specifically about melee/magic hybrids that are able to deal decent damage with weapons:

- A Devout/Priest might indeed work nicely. Having somewhat decent melee auto-attack dps, augmented by deity specific +acc talents and Minor Avatar. Plus ability to cast Beacons with Cleansing Flames; although we don't know yet how will lower power level will impact their damage. Other option could be: taking Devotions for the Faithful. Also Triumph of the Crusaders will become much more useful in Deadfire, since there is no health limit.

- A Barbarian/Skald. Hit a lot, crit a lot, invoke a lot. At least that's the idea.

- A Barbarian/Wizard. Get Concelhaut's Parasitic Staff, and later the Citzal's Lance. Wreck havok.

- Ascendant/Shifter - build focus when shaped, or with Firebrand.

- Shattered Pillar/Soul Blade, Devout/Soul Blade. Kinda self explanatory.

• Like 2

A Druid/Ranger combo might be interesting. Toss a few damaging area elemental spells while your animal companion engages the foe, then go all beast mode and join him in the attack.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I don't tend to overanalyze it and think about it yet and I'll probably go with mood when I start the character creation, but I'm definately gonna multiclass my returning wild Orlan Barbabrian.

If I go for melee/spellcasting hybrid, it's gonna be either barbarian/wizard, barbarian/chanter or barbarian/druid with the latter the most probable if only for theme (wild orlan matches good with barbarian and druid imo).

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 1

If talking specifically about melee/magic hybrids that are able to deal decent damage with weapons:

- A Devout/Priest might indeed work nicely. Having somewhat decent melee auto-attack dps, augmented by deity specific +acc talents and Minor Avatar. Plus ability to cast Beacons with Cleansing Flames; although we don't know yet how will lower power level will impact their damage. Other option could be: taking Devotions for the Faithful. Also Triumph of the Crusaders will become much more useful in Deadfire, since there is no health limit.

- A Barbarian/Skald. Hit a lot, crit a lot, invoke a lot. At least that's the idea.

- A Barbarian/Wizard. Get Concelhaut's Parasitic Staff, and later the Citzal's Lance. Wreck havok.

- Ascendant/Shifter - build focus when shaped, or with Firebrand.

- Shattered Pillar/Soul Blade, Devout/Soul Blade. Kinda self explanatory.

will we be able to reach the level of something like minor avatar if we multiclass though?

Can't wait for the class details to be out

will we be able to reach the level of something like minor avatar if we multiclass though?

Can't wait for the class details to be out

If it's still a rank 7 spell in Deadfire, it should become accessible on character lvl 19 for a x/priest multiclass.

Can't wait either.

To many good combos on the way also for me, can't decide...

Skald rogue ( max crits/ spam invocations) ? Barbarian/wizard ( evocated weapons + carnage)? Brabarian shifter druid ( druid dps in aoe, without a strict time limit and with autohealing when you change form)? Monk/chiper (you alternate between unlimited focus/wounds)? Rogue / chiper ( will it be the best single target dps in game?)

We have to decide the testing order...

I don't think you need to multiclass to make a magic/melee hybrid.  Skald, Trickster and Soul Blade are all hybrid already and you could make a melee Wizard in the first game too.

Saying that Helwalker/Evoker would probably make a good start of combat nuker, if you can get enough might increase to cover the difference in class levels from pure Evoker.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

I don't think you need to multiclass to make a magic/melee hybrid.  Skald, Trickster and Soul Blade are all hybrid already and you could make a melee Wizard in the first game too.

Saying that Helwalker/Evoker would probably make a good start of combat nuker, if you can get enough might increase to cover the difference in class levels from pure Evoker.

true you don't need to multiclass to melee/spell but  now we have way more options.

I was playing a melee Priest in the first game but now with the addition of Fighter or Paladin levels I can make him even more effective