[Party Build Advice] Party Optimization for PotD 2: Electric Boogaloo

So this is my second go-round on building a PotD-capable party, and as before, I'd like your suggestions on how to make them improve them. This time around, I decided to get a bit more creative with the builds, while still making them as effective as possible. But before we get into the details, here's a couple of short stories I wrote as a lark. :grin:

The Haemneg From Hell

Wealth and riches has been the main driving motivation of Cromwell Corvida since an early age, and his avaricious nature has determined the course of his life. Despite showing signs of a gift for the eldritch arts of the Glanfathan mindhunters, Cromwell ignored his potential to follow in the footsteps of his clergyman father, pursuing a career as a preacher of Woedica… with a twist.

For you see, Cromwell was faithless in anything save gold, which led him into preaching that the Exiled Queen honored those who kept to their oaths with material blessings. Though this earned him a congregation of the wealthy faithful who gave the biggest tithes of any congregation in the Aedyr Empire, it also drew the consternation of the orthodox clergy wringing their hands at what is nearly tantamount to heresy. After much consultation and negotiations, it was decided that Cromwell would leave the Woedican clergy to join an organization with an ethos more in line with his personal philosophy; the paladin order of the Goldpact Knights.

Although the Goldpact Knights did nothing to temper Cromwell’s avaricious nature, it did instill in him the responsibility of fulfilling obligations in return for payment in gold. His latent cipher sensitivities also made him the Knight of choice for missions involving hostile ciphers. This was what led him to cross paths with Rhiannon, a dissident who inherited Glanfathan blood from expatriate ancestors who fled the rebelling Dyrwood in the distant past, and gathered a group of activists to agitate for reform in the political structures of the Empire.

The last thing either remembered of their first clash was Rhiannon attempting to cast a mindblast at the pursuing Cromwell, while he in turn prepared to counter with an exhortation. Both had to take the word of other people at the scene that they both collapsed to the ground at the same time, although Cromwell’s compatriots was able to capitalize on the opportuntiy to seize Rhiannon so that she may face justice. That was the point that the oddities mounted up; each had an inexplicable sense of the other’s general whereabouts, and the cipher somehow managed to break out of the most secure prisons in Aedyr no matter what, while at the same time never seeming able to avoid the paladin’s pursuit for long.

Their mutual frustration mounted, until a passing Watcher informed them of the awful truth; Cromwell’s latent talents had a bad reaction with Rhiannon’s own, causing the psychic backlash from their very first altercation to entangle their souls. They have literally become the playthings of the gods themselves; as long as Cromwell walked in the outside world, no prison can hold Rhiannon for long. And while Rhiannon can stay out of the clutches of the law as long as she can manage, she can never shake the zealous pursuit of Cromwell. And should one perish, so will the other. Both paladin and cipher are tied together in a bond of mutual antipathy, one not so easily unravelled.

Their only hope in getting free of each other for good lay in Defiance Bay, where the animancy research banned in the Aedyr Empire was flourishing; it alone offered any possibility for a solution to their conundrum. Grudgingly, the two agreed to work together in their goal to get free of each other; they would each make their own way to the Dyrwood, and rendezvous at a backwater town ironically named Gilded Vale for the last stretch of the journey...

A Song for the Road

Kallik was born with the loveliest singing voice in the tribe, and some say indeed in all of Naasitaq. Naturally, she fell into the role of the resident lore chanter, and although she could wield a bow as naturally as any of the long hunters, her main role was to serve as the repository of the tribe’s collective wisdom, and occasionally representing the tribe on the rare occasions that merchants come by to trade for beads and furs.

Usually, said merchants would be the migratory Glamfellen tribes who tend to show up in Naasitaq during the months when it is coldest in the White that Wends. The pale elves associated with the Enutanik infrequently, only for the sake of trading essential goods, and otherwise left the boreal dwarves to their own affairs, which was just fine for both sides. All except one particular individual, a wandering druid by the name of Carafyn.

Eccentric even by the standards of her Glamfellen kin, Carafyn appears to be associated with no Glamfellen tribe, and has been known to make contact with the Enutanik tribes even when the rest of the pale elves have returned to the White that Wends. The boreal dwarves have long extended their hospitality to the druid whenever she showed up, no doubt thanks to the fact that she always proved a courteous guest who never showed up empty-handed; indeed, her arrival was usually marked by feasts serving cuts from the kills she brought into their camps. As such, Kallik in particular was well-acquainted with the pale elf druid, and the two are often seen in each other’s company, trading stories whenever the latter showed up at her tribe.

And the stories Carafyn told stoked Kallik’s imagination indeed; tales of high seas exploits in the Deadfire Archipelago, the splendour of the Vailian Republics, and more besides. For Carafyn was a free spirit who spent her life in pursuit of distant shores, and the tales of her travels stoked Kallik’s own wanderlust, and a desire grew in her to journey to the places she had only heard about from her pale elven friend. Not least because her childhood friend Nanouk had joined like-minded young dwarves from the various tribes on an exploratory adventure to the Living Lands years ago, and had dropped all contact thereafter; she harbored a wish to follow in his footsteps, and just maybe find out what had happened to him.

But as the lorekeeper of the tribe, she had her responsibilities. So Kallik wasted no time, and the years passed as she fulfilled the obligations of an Enutanik woman - starting a family, training a successor - until the day came when she could successfully argue for the merits of her leaving Naasitaq for the sake of bringing stories of the outside world back to the tribe, knowing the new lore chanter who was her apprentice was up to the task of safeguarding the tribe’s wisdom until her return.

And so the day of Kallik’s departure from the tribe came, when Carafyn made yet another of her sudden appearances. Seeing that a commotion had started in the tribe even before her arrival - which had never happened before - the pale elf eventually figured out the cause of it all, and showed up with a wide grin just as Kallik was about to set out.

“About time, Kallik! Mind if I join you?”

“So any particular destination in mind?” Carafyn had asked the next day, and Kallik pondered the question.”

“Not as such. Though I’d like to visit the Living Lands at some point.”

“Ah, this is about Nanouk, isn’t it?” Carafyn had known Nanouk back in the day, as well. “But if you’re not in any particular hurry, what say you we take the scenic route?”

“Sounds interesting. What have you got in mind, Cara?”

“There’s so much you’ve got to see for yourself, Kal. The rest of the Deadfire, for starters. From there, it’s a short trip by boat to the Vailian Republics. Shorter still until we get to walk in the shade of the Dyrwood; speaking of which, I heard there’s some backwater lordling there giving away free land, maybe we’ll find some of your long-lost people who tired of the Living Lands. Can’t hurt to look at least. And so much more!”

“I can hardly wait to see them with my own eyes. I’ll be putting yourself in your guidance and care, Cara.”

“I’ll take care of you, count on it! How about a song for the road, while we’re at it?”

The boreal dwarve smiled, and taking a deep breath, began chanting. The journeysong of the Enutanik rang out in the white expanse, where no signs of kith beyond the dwarf and the elf could be seen. And as she sang, Kallik watched as Carafyn slipped into the rhythm of the song, taking the first few steps into a formless dance.

She was smooth as the wind, graceful as the snow, flowing as the clouds across the sky. And as Kallik beheld Carafyn in her nameless dance, something stirred within her heart; of what, she could not say.

Eh, I'll Eat You Tomorrow

Merrick was raised a farmboy in the Ixamitl Plains, but always harbored a dream of making it big in life. Hearing rumors that one could make a fortune ‘excavating’ for Engwithan relics, which apparently fetched high prices to the right buyer, the orlan resolved to get in on the game as soon as he can.

When the time was right, Merrick declared his intentions, and promptly made preparations for the long journey to the Eastern Reach. Along with his gear, he decided to take the runt of the sow’s latest litter with him, his reasoning being…

“Emergency rations. At least I’ll have bacon when I run out of everything else. Hey, that’s it. That’s its name. C’mon, Bacon.”

And run out of food the orlan eventually did; he had packed as much food as he thought he needed and then some, but the poor fool had severely underestimated the length of the journey since he had never travelled quite so far from the Plains before. One evening, as the starving Merrick was deciding that this was the last day that the hog will see, Bacon decided to make a run for it at that point. Starved as he was, Merrick tried but failed to stop the great escape, and could do little but collapse to the ground in despair.

That is, until the orlan spied the porker running back his way… with a startled doe in front of it, apparently trying to outrun the unexpected nuisance. Summoning the last of his strength, Merrick raised his hatchet…

That night, Merrick dined on venison roasted over a campfire. Having eaten his full, and glancing over at Bacon gnawing away on his rightful share of the cooked kill, he shrugged more to himself than anything.

“...eh. I’ll eat you tomorrow.”

Days passed, and although Merrick kept threatening to make good on his threat, he never did act on it. Mostly because Bacon proved to be invaluable in acquiring nourishment; if the porker wasn’t chasing deer into his reach or acting as bait for wildlife, it was sniffing out and digging for roots and truffles. It was hard work hunting and gathering for his food, but Merrick never went hungry ever since that day. Even so, as he chowed down on his dinner every night, the orlan would glance over at Bacon chomping on his share of the take, and he would always shrug and say to himself,

“Eh. I’ll eat you tomorrow.”

One evening, Bacon was nowhere to be seen. This in itself wasn’t especially concerning to Merrick; it was not the first time the pig had vanished, only to turn out it had used itself as bait for some larger game that it would lead all the way back to the waiting orlan. And this time around was no different… except the game Bacon had lured back to Merrick was no large fauna, but a wild-eyed dwarf brandishing a great sword and a hunger for ham, making it necessary for the orlan to arrest the dwarf’s pursuit with a timely block from his buckler.

“Galawain’s claws, what are you doing?! The hog’s getting away!” the dwarf snarled at Merrick.

“Of course it is, you’re chasing it!” Merrick responded.

“Then why are you stopping me?! You asking to die?”

“Because that’s my hog you’re chasing!”

“...oh.”

It didn’t take long for the misunderstanding to be cleared up, although the dwarf was understandably not too happy about it. “And ‘ere I was, thinking dinner’s gonna be easy to score tonight,” he griped to Merrick. “Now I gotta double back and go for this bear I saw earlier. Those things are right ornery bastards, they are. Not gonna be an easy kill, I tell you that.”

Merrick could only commiserate, at least up to this point. And then, he had an idea.

“So, you never told me you’re one of them rangers,” the dwarf said over his mouthful of roasted bear paw, taken from the game he, the orlan and the hog had worked together to take down. “Woulda left your porker alone if I knew.”

“Me, a ranger? I don’t think I am…” Merrick stuttered over his own mouthful.

“Sure you are, hog’s your animal companion, innit?”

“No it’s not, it’s just emergency rations…”

“BULL****!” the dwarf roared; in their brief acquaintance, Merrick learned that his newfound companion was just a shouty sort in general, not just when he was angry. “No mere beast would know to bait the bear in, and double back to help take it down like that. That’s a ranger’s companion if I e’er seen one, and don’t you say otherwise!”

That stopped Merrick short mid-bite, as he looked over at Bacon noshing at its share of the kill; indeed it was no little runt anymore, but instead a full-grown boar tusks and all. Indeed, what the dwarf said made sense in light of everything Bacon has done throughout the journey… and if he thought about it, he himself has grown into quite a fine woodsman, hasn’t he? “Yeah, I guess you’re right about that,” he conceded with an uncertain smile, and the dwarf grinned.

“Course I am. Anyhow, name’s Nanouk.”

“Merrick, and that’s Bacon. Nice to make your acquaintance.”

So what brings you out this way anyway?”, Nanouk asked Merrick, as they were getting ready to leave their shared campsite in the morning.

“Oh, I heard there were fortunes to be made in the Dyrwood. Heard there’s this lord offering free land down in some nowhere place called Gilded Vale, so I figured I’ll get started there. How about you?”

“Really now?! There’s where I’m headed too! Well actually I was bumming around in the Living Lands for a while, but long story short I’m ready to go home to Naasitaq now. Just need to make a stop there to stock up on supplies. So how about it, need a travelling companion for the road?”

“Sounds good to me. I could use some help with the smoked bear meat at least, that gets old pretty fast.”

“But it’ll last only til today between the three of us. What we gonna do for tomorrow’s meal then?”

Both orlan and dwarf turned to look at Bacon, still ambling long blissfully unaware of their gazes. After some thought, Merrick shrugged.

“Eh. We’ll eat him tomorrow.”

Cromwell “the Goldpact Commissar”

Race: Wood Elf
Class: Paladin (Goldpact Knight)
Culture: Aedyr
Background: Clergyman (+2 Lore)

Attributes

MIG: 18
CON: 10
DEX: 12
PER: 10
INT: 18
RES: 10

Abilities

Flames of Devotion
Zealous Focus
Liberating Exhortation
Sworn Enemy
Righteous Soul
Coordinated Attacks
Sacred Immolation
Reviving Exhortation

Talents

Enduring Flames
Critical Focus
Bond of Duty
Marksman
Deep Faith
Intense Flames
Scion of Flame
Weapon Focus: Adventurer

Equipment

1) Cgadob’s Hazel (Marking, Spellstriking: Jolting Touch)

2) Blade of the Endless Paths (Marking, Speed)

Chest - The Golden Scales (10% of ranged attacks reflected back at attacker, -2 Stealth)

Head - Munacra Arret (+15 Will, Spellbind: Whisper of Treason)
Neck - +3 DEX: Finreah’s Grace
Finger - Gathbin Family Signet (Overseeing, Lord’s Authority)
Finger - +3 RES: Ring of Changing Heart (Spellbind: Dominate)
Arms - Spirit Spiral (Spellbind: Whisper of Treason, x1.05 melee damage)
Waist - +3 MGT: Sentinel’s Girdle (Grants Indomitable, Spellbind: Watchful Presence)
Feet - Boots of Zealous Command (+20% Zealous Aura AoE)

Optional Equipment

St. Garam’s Spark (Marking, Shocking Lash)
Spectacular Spetum (Marking, Guarding)

A variant on the Counselor Ploi build which takes elements from the Darcozzi Commendatore, foregoing some Accuracy-buffing capability from the Darcozzi's Inspiring Liberation in favor of additional 'mind control' capability from the Goldpact's Bond of Duty. The Goldpact Commissar's role is to charm-crit targets of opportunity, protect his vulnerable party members from hostile mind control from a distance, and in lieu of the aforementioned duties, buff the Cipher's accuracy with a ranged Marking weapon. As he is not expected to be a heavy contributor to party DPS for the most part of the game, the Goldpact Commissar saves the WF talent for last, when he's most likely to be able to obtain two Marking weapons in the same WF group.

Rhiannon “the Mindwitcher”

Race: Meadow Folk
Class: Cipher
Culture: Aedyr
Background: Dissident (+1 Lore, +1 Stealth)

Attributes

MIG: 19
DEX: 13
PER: 13
RES: 5

Abilities

Soul Whip
1st Level Powers: Antipathetic Field, Mind Wave, Soul Shock
2nd Level Powers: Psychovampiric Shield, Mental Binding, Phantom Foes
3rd Level Powers: Pain Link, Ectopsychic Echo, Secret Horrors
4th Level Powers: Pain Block, Going Between, Silent Scream
5th Level Powers: Tactical Meld, Borrowed Instinct, Ringleader
6th Level Powers: Mind Plague, Amplified Wave, Disintegration
7th Level Powers: Stasis Shell, Time Parasite
8th Level Powers: Defensive Mindweb, Reaping Knives

Talents

Biting Whip
Marksman
Penetrating Shot
Draining Whip
Weapon Focus: Noble
Superior Deflection
Psychic Backlash
Brutal Backlash

Equipment

1) Twin Sting (soulbound, Venom, Shoots Twice)
2) Drawn in Spring (Wounding) - Little Savior (Preservation, Herald)

Chest - +2 PER: Elryn’s Jacket (Spelldefense: Eyestrike)

Head - +3 INT: White Crest’s Helm
Neck - Cape of the Master Mystic (Spellholding: Invisibility, +12 Deflection, Major Spellbind: Minor Arcane Reflection)
Finger - +3 DEX: Ring of Thorns (Reflex +5, Preservation)
Finger - +3 MGT: Pensiavi Mes Rei
Arms - Gauntlets of Swift Action (+15% Attack Speed)
Waist - Looped Rope (Clarity: +20 Defense against all status effects)
Feet - Echoing Misery (Spellholding: Ray of Pain, +15 Defense when Disengaging)

Optional Equipment

Ravenwing (Coordinating)
Engwithan Scepter (Speed)
Sura’s Supper Plate (Retaliation)

Pretty much a bog-standard ranged Twin Sting Cipher, whose only defining feature is that the party is built around her; with accuracy bonuses from the Paladin's Marking and speed bonuses from the Chanter's Sure-Handed Ila, her role is to build Focus and cast Powers as quickly as possible. Since the Paladin is already specced for mind control, the Cipher will generally avoid those Powers, with the one exception being intended more as a bailout than anything else.

Kallik “the Voice of the Tundra”

Race: Boreal Dwarf
Class: Chanter
Culture: Deadfire Archipelago
Background: Merchant (+1 Mechanics, +1 Lore)

Attributes

MIG: 20
DEX: 17
RES: 3

Abilities

Hunter’s Instincts

Phrases

Level 1
Blessed was Wengridh, Quickest of his Tribe
Come, Come Soft Winds of Death
Dull the Edge, Blunt the Point

Level 2
Sure-Handed Ila Nocked Her Arrows with Speed
The Fox from the Farmer Did Run and Leap

Level 3
Aefyllath Ues Mith Fyr
The Silver Knights’ Shields Broke Both Arrow and Blade

Level 4
Her Courage Thick As Steel

Level 5
With All Your Strength Slay the Beast

Invocations

Level 1
But Reny Daret’s Ghost, He would not Rest
The Thunder Rolled Like Waves on Black Seas
Thrice She Was Wronged, and Thrice Justly Avenged

Level 2
At the Sound of his Voice, The Killers Froze Stiff
Rejoice, My Comrades! Two Fingers of Daylight!

Level 3
Oh, But Knock Not on the Door of Urdel and Gurdel
Rise Again, Rise Again, Scions of Adon!

Level 4
Their Champion Braved the Horde Alone

Level 5
Called To His Bidding, the Ancient Instruments of Death

Talents

Ancient Memory
Weapon Focus: Peasant
Brisk Recitation
Beloved Spirits
Marksman
Penetrating Shot
Heart of the Storm
Runner’s Wounding Shot

Equipment

1) Stormcaller (soulbound, Damage Type: Pierce/Shock)
2) Cladhaliath (Marking, Coordinating) - Ilfan Bryngar’s Solace (Preservation)

Chest - +3 INT: Ryona’s Breastplate (Spellbind: Litany Against Minor Afflictions, Spellchance: Vigorous Defense)
Head - +2 PER: Helmet of Darksee
Neck - Voice of the Mountaintop (+20% Chant AoE)
Finger - Ring of Overseeing (Overseeing)
Finger - +3 DEX: Ring of Thorns (Reflex +5, Preservation)
Arms -  Archer’s Gloves (+10% ranged damage)
Waist - +3 MGT: Girdle of Maegfolc Might
Feet - Animancer’s Boots (+3 DR: Shock, Spellbind: Jolting Touch)

Ranged Stormcaller Chanter, who takes as much Shock capability as she can to capitalize on the Stormcaller's Shock DR Reduction. Sure-Handed Ila is her bread and butter, allowing her buff both the Paladin and Cipher, making her an integral third member of the shooting party. She can also provide party defense buffs (Dull the Edge, Silver Knights' Shields, Courage Thick as Steel), a bailout from unwinnable fights (Fox from the Farmer, Blessed was Wengridh), and is crucial for dragon fights in the late game (With All Your Strength, Champion Braved the Horde). She's also the lucky one who gets Ryona's Breastplate, because the Dire Blessing proc helps her DPS even better than it would have for the Paladin.

She didn't necessarily have to be a Boreal Dwarf... but it's good to have a reliable ranged option against Spores.

And if you're wondering, yes; No Dragonsong for the Chanter. Self-imposed challenge.

Carafyn “the Bride of Rymrgand”

Race: Pale Elf
Class: Druid
Culture: Deadfire Archipelago
Background: Explorer (+1 Survival, +1 Lore)

Attributes

MIG: 18
CON: 9
DEX: 20

Abilities

Elemental Endurance
Spiritshift: Cat
Spell Mastery: Tanglefoot
Spell Mastery: Taste of the Hunt
Spell Mastery: Returning Storm
Spell Mastery: Form of the Delemgan

Talents

Wildstrike Shock
Greater Wildstrike Shock
Weapon Focus: Peasant
Two Weapon Style
Heart of the Storm
Savage Attack
Outlander’s Frenzy
Apprentice’s Sneak Attack

Equipment

1) +3 RES: Gyrd Haewanes Stenes (soulbound, Raw lash, Spellchance: Dominate)
2) +4 MGT: Abydon’s Hammer (soulbound, Spellbind: Abydon’s Labor, Ring of the Ancient Forge, Spellstriking: Abydon’s Power, Echo of the Maker)

Chest - Angio’s Gambeson (Spellbind: Deleterious Alacrity of Motion, Athletics +2)
Head - +3 MGT: Garodh’s Chorus (Preservation)
Neck - +2 RES: Lost Periapt of the Winding Path (Spellholding: Consecrated Ground, +20 Concentration)
Finger - +4 INT: Gwyn’s Band of Union (Blessing, Spellstamina: Instill Doubt)
Finger - +1 CON, +1 RES, +1 MGT: The Ring of Wonder (Second Chance)
Arms - Celebrant’s Gloves (Spelldefense: Holy Meditation, Overseeing)
Waist - Wildstrike Belt (Wildstrike Burn on Spiritshift)
Feet - +4 DEX: Viettro’s Formal Footwear (+3 Lore, Grants Carouse)

Pretty much the Thundercat build, except I gave her two soulbound weapons that isn't actually intended to be main weapons for the Druid. Abydon's Hammer is for caster mode (25 MGT Relentless Storm, anyone?), she can Cat Spiritshift for when melee is necessary, and the Gyrd scepter is for when she needs to play defensively, and hopefully proc the chance to Spiritshift again. With OutFrenzy, DAoM and Avenging Storm, I'm hoping I've got a good build here that would let her permanently stunlock one designated target until the end of the fight.

Nanouk “the Universal Misanthrope”

Class: Fighter
Culture: The Living Lands
Background: Colonist (+2 Survival)

Attributes

MIG: 21
CON: 19
INT: 3
RES: 8

Abilities

Hunter’s Instincts
Disciplined Barrage
Confident Aim
Weapon Specialization: Soldier
Armored Grace
Fearless
Unbroken
Charge
Triggered Immunity

Talents

Rapid Recovery
Weapon Focus: Soldier
Weapon Mastery: Soldier
Outlander’s Frenzy
Two-Handed Style
Arms Bearer
Quick Switch
Savage Attack

Equipment

1) The Hours of St. Rumbalt (Annihilation, Overbearing) + (Slaying: Kith)
2) Tidefall (Wounding) + (Slaying: Beast)
3) St. Ydwen’s Redeemer (soulbound, Destroys Spirits)

Chest - Blackwarden’s Breast (Aura of the Hunt: +15 ACC against: Beast, Crush-proofed)
Head - +3 MGT: Tempered Helm (+5 DR and -5 Deflection for 20s/kill, +25 Defense against: Hobbled, Stuck, Paralyzed, Charmed, Confused, +10 Defense against: Dominated)
Neck - Ycg Br Tomb Fragment (+10 ACC against: Spirit, False Life)
Finger - Bartender’s Ring (+5 Will, +20% damage against: Spirit, Vessel)
Finger - +2 RES: Serel’s Ring
Arms - Forgemaster’s Gloves (+5 DR: Burn, Spellbind: Firebrand)
Waist - Belt of Chimes (+25 Concentration, -1 Stealth)
Feet - Frythr’s Plated Greaves (+3 DR: Crush, Pierce, Slash, Spellbind: Wild Sprint, +5% Armor Speed penalty)

A fairly standard 2H DPS fighter build, except I went out of my way to build and gear him such that he has bonuses against all creature types available to him, and the means to switch to the right tool for the job as quickly as possible. Below is a full list of all the bonuses I could think of to tack onto the guy.

List of 'hater' bonuses

Kith: The Hours of St. Rumbalt
Beast: Blackwarden’s Breast, Tidefall
Wilder: Hunter’s Instincts
Primordial: Hunter’s Instincts
Spirit: Bartender’s Ring, Ycg Br Tomb Fragment, Forgemaster’s Gloves
Vessel: Bartender’s Ring, St. Ydwen’s Redeemer

This guy is built to be a 1v1 specialist (at least, I hope he will be), but also as the recipient who would reap the most benefits from the Goldpact Knight's Bond of Duty.

Merrick and Bacon

Race: Hearth Orlan
Class: Ranger
Culture: Ixamitl Plains
Background: Hunter (Survival +1, Stealth +1)

Attributes

MIG: 9
DEX: 18
PER: 20
INT: 9
RES: 12

Abilities

Minor Threat
Animal Companion: Boar
Marked Prey
Swift Aim
Stalker’s Link
Driving Flight
Revive Companion
Stunning Shots
Defensive Bond
Vengeful Grief

Talents

Resilient Companion
Weapon and Shield Style
Faithful Companion
Vicious Companion
Weapon Focus: Adventurer
Penetrating Shots
Strengthened Bond
Merciless Companion

Equipment

1) Starcaller (Stunning, Spellstriking: Minoletta’s Minor Missiles)  - Badgradr’s Barricade (Bashing, Spellstriking: Thrust of Tattered Veils, 10% of ranged attacks reflected back at attacker)
2) Borresaine (Stunning, Draining)

Chest- Sanguine Plate (Spellholding: Frenzy, +2 Survival)
Head - +4 MGT: Maegfolc Skull (Unbending when <50% Endurance)
Neck - Swaddling Sheet (Spellbind: Recall Agony, Spellholding: Overwhelming Wave)
Finger - Ring of Deflection (+9 Deflection)
Finger - +4 CON: Iron Circle (Burden, +15% Armor DR when <26% Endurance)
Arms - +4 RES: Siegebreaker Gauntlets (Spellbind: Clear Out)
Waist - Girdle of the Driving Wave (Spellbind: Knock Down)
Feet - Shod-in-Faith (Spellholding: Consecrated Ground)

Despite looking ill-suited to the job, he's the designated frontline tank of the group, with a focus on stunning rather than straight Deflection. To that effect, he's a Ranger to put two bodies on the table for the price of one, a Hearth Orlan to proc Minor Threat off his own Animal Companion, so as to increase the chances that Spellstriking and Stunning procs, and Driving Flight for more fun from the Spellstriking effects. The choice of Boar as Animal Companion is because of its high RES, and their role is to be the first line of defense between the enemy and the casters. Not that they have to be absolutely perfect at their job, as almost all the ranged casters (with the possible exception of the Cipher) are able to take care of themselves in melee.

So, thoughts?

• Like 1

Except parts of the fighter I wouldn't change something I guess. Seems to be thought through very well.

Now the fighter (nice idea to stack all those "hater" bonuses): 

3 INT on that fighter wouldn't be my choice. I guess you took it because of Tidefall's wounding, but honestly 3 INT or 10 INT don't make much of a dps difference with Tidefall, but a big difference with all duration-based things like Constant Recovery, Disciplined Barrage, Outlander's Frenzy, Triggered Immunity and also Unbroken and Firebrand.

I would at least swap INT with RES. With high regeneration you don't need a lot of deflection and 5 points are not that much anyways. Concentration is not a big issue if you don't want to tank mobs with him. Most tough single targets hit slowly.

I like the switching aspect, but instead of Quick Switch I'd put on the Coil of Resourcefulness which will spare you one talent point. Or I'd just live with the longer switching time. How often do you need to switch your weapon during a fight when you focus on the tough ones? I'd pick Runner's Wounding Shot instead. It's a nice addition for a two handed build - especially if your INT is low (works like wounding in regard to high MIG and low INT).

I'd also skip Outlander's Frenzy (seldomly the rather long buffing animation time justifies the short speed gain with low INT - and  because you also want to cast Disciplined Barrage at the start of combat) and take Knockdown instead. It can be very good in combination with the paladin's ACC buffs against dragons even though those get +20 resistance and even with lowish INT because if you crit the duration is still decent. With your high ACC against dragons plus paladin's help it will land most of the time. You could think about Bonus Knockdown and a Girdle of the Driving Wave, too. 4 Knockdowns per encounter against a dragon are very useful - also against other enemies of course.

That's it from me. Try a scroll of Twin Stones on the ranger with Driving Flight some time. It's fun, too. ;)

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Except parts of the fighter I wouldn't change something I guess. Seems to be thought through very well.

Now the fighter (nice idea to stack all those "hater" bonuses): 

3 INT on that fighter wouldn't be my choice. I guess you took it because of Tidefall's wounding, but honestly 3 INT or 10 INT don't make much of a dps difference with Tidefall, but a big difference with all duration-based things like Constant Recovery, Disciplined Barrage, Outlander's Frenzy, Triggered Immunity and also Unbroken and Firebrand.

I would at least swap INT with RES. With high regeneration you don't need a lot of deflection and 5 points are not that much anyways. Concentration is not a big issue if you don't want to tank mobs with him. Most tough single targets hit slowly.

I like the switching aspect, but instead of Quick Switch I'd put on the Coil of Resourcefulness which will spare you one talent point. Or I'd just live with the longer switching time. How often do you need to switch your weapon during a fight when you focus on the tough ones? I'd pick Runner's Wounding Shot instead. It's a nice addition for a two handed build - especially if your INT is low (works like wounding in regard to high MIG and low INT).

I'd also skip Outlander's Frenzy (seldomly the rather long buffing animation time justifies the short speed gain with low INT - and  because you also want to cast Disciplined Barrage at the start of combat) and take Knockdown instead. It can be very good in combination with the paladin's ACC buffs against dragons even though those get +20 resistance and even with lowish INT because if you crit the duration is still decent. With your high ACC against dragons plus paladin's help it will land most of the time. You could think about Bonus Knockdown and a Girdle of the Driving Wave, too. 4 Knockdowns per encounter against a dragon are very useful - also against other enemies of course.

That's it from me. Try a scroll of Twin Stones on the ranger with Driving Flight some time. It's fun, too. ;)

Lots of thanks for the suggestions, Boeroer.  :grin:

Yeah, I'll swap INT and RES around like you suggested; I can further push INT back up to the 10 baseline with an Orlan's Bramble Ring and an armor enchantment, so I figure it's good there. But now I have a hard choice to make.

Taking Knockdown in order to Prone dragons is a neat idea, but if I want to do that I'll have to drop something from the Fighter's current list of Abilities. Which one would you suggest? Right now I'm leaning towards Charge, because he still has Wild Sprint from Frythr's Plated Greaves to get him where he needs to go anyway.

Edited by Ascaloth

Don't drop Charge! It's the best, really best ability an offensive fighter can have. Zipping twice over the whole battlefield, dealing BIG amounts of crush damage and finishing with a Full Attack at the target is very good. I can't emphasize enough how good it is. :)

I think I'd drop Unbroken. In my parties the fighter goes down so seldomly and if he does I did something very wrong. I would even drop Triggered Immunity I guess. It's not that useful if you are knocking down your foes left and right anyways and dragons have different damage types with their attacks, too. I generally think it's overrated but maybe that's just me and because how I play. I'd use Sundering Blow instead because the huge DR reduction can be very helpful for all your party members (also stacks with Stormcaller's DR reduction).

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

just got back into POE since i hear POE2 was coming out, jst wanted to say Boeroer - i love your builds.  Not the actual builds necessarily, just your way of presenting them lol.  I may not even use 1 in 20 of them, but your posts make me want to.

btw OP:

have to agree with the INT/RES assessment,  I wonder though if that fighter can't also get away with higher PER rather than con if you are going to boost int - with better buffs/recovery, you wont be getting one-shot or even really two shot, and the accuracy and interrupt might even help survivability by ever so lightly delaying the damage he takes.  Also, higher will... your fortitude will be fine if you drop 5 pts in con for PER.

Side note, talk about rare coincidence (or wierd providence?) I came on these boards to see if boeroer might have a build that might be similar to a build i was just about to try for a Pale Elf Druid (wolf shape) explorer.  No joke, your stats/plan for yours is remarkably similar to mine (thus far, though i was wobbling on whether i wanted to brave a heavy spiritshift build for POTD)

p.s. that ranger build is good.  Just played one that started out very similar but then I got sidetracked by my own madness. Went with a bit more retaliation, like a ranger version of Boeroer's Golden Dragon.  Pet + Adra Beetle(s) + Bashing + retaliate + ring of searing flames = pain everywhere.  Screen gets a bit crowded when your party summons a a half dozen critters/tentacles, but one priest accuracy buff and suddenly its creeping burning death.  Send in ranger/pet first, summon a wall of critters b/w the squishies and the enemy, cast combusting wounds.  Rinse, repeat as the critters die off.  Anyway, was wondering if that might appeal, given your AOE accuracy boosts/ deflection debuffs,  but then again without a priest, the damage output might get dicey in some of the harder fights.  Chanter buffing hordes of critters may make up for it.

• Like 1

Hey Boeroer, sorry for the long delay in responding, been a busy week. But I've taken everything you said on board, and reworked the Universal Misanthrope accordingly. How does this look to you?

Nanouk “the Universal Misanthrope”

Class: Fighter
Culture: The Living Lands
Background: Colonist (+2 Survival)

Attributes

MIG: 21
CON: 19
INT: 8

Abilities

Hunter’s Instincts
Disciplined Barrage
Confident Aim
Weapon Specialization: Soldier
Armored Grace

Knock Down
Fearless
Charge
Sundering Blow

Talents

Rapid Recovery
Weapon Focus: Soldier
Weapon Mastery: Soldier
Two-Handed Style

Bonus Knock Down
Arms Bearer
Runner's Wounding Shot
Savage Attack

Equipment

1) The Hours of St. Rumbalt (Annihilation, Overbearing) + (Slaying: Kith)
2) Tidefall (Wounding) + (Slaying: Beast)
3) St. Ydwen’s Redeemer (soulbound, Destroys Spirits)

Chest - Blackwarden’s Breast (Aura of the Hunt: +15 ACC against: Beast, Crush-proofed)
Head - +3 MGT: Tempered Helm (+5 DR and -5 Deflection for 20s/kill, +25 Defense against: Hobbled, Stuck, Paralyzed, Charmed, Confused, +10 Defense against: Dominated)
Neck - Ycg Br Tomb Fragment (+10 ACC against: Spirit, False Life)
Finger - Bartender’s Ring (+5 Will, +20% damage against: Spirit, Vessel)
Finger - +1 CON, +1 RES, +1 MGT: The Ring of Wonder (Second Chance)
Arms - Forgemaster’s Gloves (+5 DR: Burn, Spellbind: Firebrand)
Waist - Belt of Chimes (+25 Concentration, -1 Stealth)
Feet - Frythr’s Plated Greaves (+3 DR: Crush, Pierce, Slash, Spellbind: Wild Sprint, +5% Armor Speed penalty)

I swapped INT and RES, and also took the Abilities and Talents you recommended. For equipment, I swapped out Serel's Ring for the Ring of Wonder; now that I dropped Unbroken, it only makes sense to substitute it with Second Chance, and I can always give the Druid a Ring of Unshackling or something.

I'd thought about Girdle of the Driving Wave for the extra Knock Down too, but finally decided to keep the Belt of Chimes on him; sure I don't plan on having the guy tank mobs, but best laid plans of mice and men, and all.

btw OP:

have to agree with the INT/RES assessment,  I wonder though if that fighter can't also get away with higher PER rather than con if you are going to boost int - with better buffs/recovery, you wont be getting one-shot or even really two shot, and the accuracy and interrupt might even help survivability by ever so lightly delaying the damage he takes.  Also, higher will... your fortitude will be fine if you drop 5 pts in con for PER.

The thing is, since I'm stacking all the 'hater bonuses' on the Universal Misanthrope, doesn't that mean I can make do with a baseline 10 PER? There's also ACC buffs and CC from the rest of the party to make up for it as well.

Besides, he's also the designated dragonslayer of the party. So by maxing MGT and CON to make full use of the Dwarf's racial Attribute bonuses, and thus kicking his Fortitude defense up as high as it can go, I'm thinking this might let him laugh off the worst of anything dragons can do to him.

Makes me want to start a new game as a fightter or a 2h monk...  >.< I have this mental condition that makes me get 2/3 they way through a playthrough and I suddenly want to try out a new build from scratch.   I think its the dragons; once I get 'em, I've crested the hill - the current build is a success, but what if...what if I had a 2h weapon wizard build... and maybe a tank Kana... hmm

Anyway, yeah, the PER's not essential - I just tend to boost as much accuracy as possible in most of my builds.  Ftr can get away with slightly less accuracy.  Wondering why arms bearer, and not bear's fortitude or rapid recovery tho.  Most fights, you can prepare in advance for what type of enemy you'll face, and two slots should be enough for different groupings.  Even apprentice sneak attack would help for when you do knock someone prone; 15 damage on a 2h equates to 6-10 more damage per hit, as compared to 1h and dw builds.

Looks good. :) Please report how he's doing. :)

Will do. :yes: Might take a while though, still halfway into the playthrough for my Darcozzi MC...

Anyway, yeah, the PER's not essential - I just tend to boost as much accuracy as possible in most of my builds.  Ftr can get away with slightly less accuracy.  Wondering why arms bearer, and not bear's fortitude or rapid recovery tho.  Most fights, you can prepare in advance for what type of enemy you'll face, and two slots should be enough for different groupings.  Even apprentice sneak attack would help for when you do knock someone prone; 15 damage on a 2h equates to 6-10 more damage per hit, as compared to 1h and dw builds.

Because without the third weapon slot, I'm going to have to constantly shuffle Tidefall, Rumbalt and Ydwen between his two slots and his inventory. Ain't nobody got time for that. :disguise:

Besides, it just suits the guy's lore to have anything he might need ready at hand (including the Firebrand from Forgemaster's Gloves as the "fourth blade" for killing spirits). He already has Rapid Recovery, and Bear's Fortitude is more nice-to-have than need-to-have with his maxed MGT and CON build. Apprentice's Sneak Attack is not a bad suggestion, but Boeroer already recommended Runner's Wounding Shot instead, so.